Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What’s wrong with this picture…  (Read 2190 times)
Brill-o

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:40:44 AM »

Wrong answers:

The photographer (myself) was awake more than 5 hours-
The photographer has never used a camera before-
The photographer was not inebriated in some way-
The photographer was blindfolded-

So this means the correct answer is that the bus is not exactly centered...

I finally was able to get an extra pair of hands (two pair-including the wife's) to help out. (Safety first!)

I had to hook up both batteries, and with a little choke she started right up.

After checking the clutch master, and topping it off, I pushed in the clutch, and tried shifting. It was stiff, but I could feel the gears slowing down to mesh. It slowed down enough that I could get it into first.

I moved the (parking brake lever (which doesn’t work) and gently released the clutch.
The bus jumped forward…      I’d run over a wheel chock. Roll Eyes

Then it stalled-

I rechecked everything and tried it (without the chock) again, and it all went well.
This time I tried going through the routine in hopes of finding reverse-

She backed up with sliding the clutch (a no-no) on the fast idle, but I think it would have been better on flat ground as my drive is on an incline (and the bus was facing down hill).

I got her about 10ft before I had to stop because of things in the way.
Both the clutch and reverse seemed to work as designed. Hooray!

Without any brakes yet, I didn’t want to chance any sort of real movement, but wanted to know if capable, it could.

Now I can get on the brake system and a few other areas needing attention (like the accelerator cable).

Most importantly, I can get her in her designated spot for the winter months, and having a major relief from still working (or fixed) parts, plus the satisfaction of knowing my effort has been positive. Smiley

There are some other photos of this in my album-

Until the next time…

Cheers,

Mind the Gap!
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »

Barry,
At this point all I can say is:
HAZZAHHHHHHHHHH!!! HOOOOOORRRRRAAAAYYYY!!!!!
[/i][/b]
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »

Way to go Barry!!!! Grin Shocked

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »

Congratulations

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:06:56 PM »

Keep up on the project. Your making  good progress Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »

Way to go Barry,I know it had to be a good feeling just to be able to go that short distance,keep up the great work and it will all be worthwhile Mike
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 09:24:51 PM »

One step at a time-and it looks like you're doing it with baby steps-which will ultimately be the safest way with a bus that age.  Keep up the good work!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »

Congratulations Brill-o!   I"m surprised that the clutch wasn't permanently stuck to the flywheel and pressure plate! Must be good parts.   
Is the throttle a cable or rod linkage?   What sort of service brakes does the bus have? 
I was wondering out loud on the chatroom whether you had moved the bus under its own power yet...
Very good!
Do you have an indoor building for the bus?   If not, you could get one of those piped framed vinyl covered shelters.  Some are pretty decently built.  Farmers use the things around here.  Last for years and are not expensive....relatively speaking.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »

Way To Go Brill-o

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »

Barry, if you find a Morse type throttle cable in your coach, let me know.  I've got several here that are not used, some that are, and you are welcome to one.  If you're not using such a throttle cable, you could.   Let me know the approx length that would work and I'll see if I have one .  They come in 1' increments.   Most of what I have are 10' to about 16'....if one would reach your carbs, may be an option?

Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Brill-o

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 06:04:55 AM »

Hello-

Thank you all for the “push” to continue on-

Yes, she goes backwards and forwards without any drama.
Such a great feeling!

Tom you are so right about the “baby steps”. No rush here-
Approaching one area at a time seems to work well for me, If I get in a snag, I move on to something else—leaving the other until I have I’ve had time to think about it. There’s enough to do that I can tackle one area and still have multiple challenges I haven’t even thought of yet.

I walk around the bus every few days spraying any and every nut or bolt I come across with lubricant. This is a good practice, as I am now able to adjust the side mirrors-, which were completely frozen when I got her. Plus the bay door locks have mostly freed up.

JR, I was most concerned with a sticking clutch also. Thank the Lord it wasn’t!   

My accelerator set up is interesting-
While the bus sat, I was told that the visiting relatives let their kids go inside her to “play”. By leaning on the frozen pedal they finally broke the mounting bracket. I found this first--and hard to get to- for re-welding.

The cable itself has two steel rods on either end, which connect to a spiral wound cable that runs somewhat loosely through a copper (!) tube.
I have been working it loose for some time now and it seems to be freeing up.
I don’t know if the cable you have will work or not, but if this one is uncooperative, I would be interested in what you have to offer-
(I don't know what a "morse' cable is-)

Also, when I went to move her I’d forgot to plug off the airline that goes to the wigwag low air lever. (This was when I dropped the roof).
 I rebuilt the wigwag and I'm very curious to see if I have reg. foot brakes with this next move—coming this weekend.

The service brake (if you mean the parking brake?) consists of a drum surrounding the driveshaft controlled by a “Johnson bar”. When I inspected the set-up, I found the shoes have been removed and are long gone- but everything else is there and seems intact.

I’ve been told this set-up is terrible for stopping the bus, anyway.
Dallas has mentioned an easy remedy for this, as did you (I think).

I have been considering a pole building or a mock-up shelter for the coming months—even if it  lasts only a short time--just through the winter.

Next year I will construct a permanent housing for both her and Penny.

Once I have her in her parking spot, I’ll post a few more pics of the move and winterizing.

Thanks all, once again-

Cheers

Mind the Gap!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:32:51 AM »

Brill-o, The parking brake is exactly for that purpose, parking. It is not really designed for stopping the vehicle, although it could be used for that purpose, but not very efficiently.
Your throttle cable sounds like a Morse type cable. They are used many times in marine environments also since the inner cable can many times be lubricated, but moisture can not get to the moving flexible portion of the cable.
Good luck and keep us posted. Wish I lived a little closer so that I could come and help you some.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 07:33:33 AM »

Look at the remote control cables on any outboard powered  boat (inboards also use them, just more difficult see) and that is a Morse or Teleflex style cable.    When kept relatively straight, they work slick. 
Get me an idea of the distance from your carb to the throttle pedal.  Or perhaps the distance of the copper tube that you describe.   
Morse cables can be fitted with various terminations so that almost any sort of attachment can be fabbed or accommodated.
I have several Morse cables laying around here that have absolutely no value to me.  If I have one long enough, I'll send it to you.   Most are 10' to 14' or thereabouts.   Consider how the mechanicals will work...such as: will the cable be pulling or pushing in the correct direction relative to the carb?  You may have to make a big loop around to get to the opposite side of the carb for correct butterfly articulation.  May even eliminate some clunky linkage?   You see where I'm going....don't want to end up with a "pull" where you need a "push."
These cables are pretty much foolproof if they are not submerged in water.  Probably much more safe than attempting to repair the OEM linkage. 
Let me know...no hurry.  I'll be out of pocket for a few days.   Having cataract surg AM tomorrow.  They set me up for the 31st, but called a few minutes ago and asked if I was avail for AM tomorrow.  Already had the meds and I'm ready.  Get it over with!  I won't have any closeup vision for a few days (??)...gotta go to da WalMart and get me some read'in specs after the surg!   
I'll get my wife to read to me!   MAK bedtime stories!  Wink
Cheers, JR Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »

Good luck. Please let us know how the surgery goes.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »

Job well done, Brill-o!!!!

Now, a wigwag!!!

Please, do you have lovely pictures of this?

No one in a half century has seen one, most, even old veterans of the road, have never even seen one, and I'm going to fix 'em all if I can get a good shot of one.

Actually, three shots, one back for context as to its relationship to the driving position, and two up close, one in the going for a drive position, and one in the fall down, oh my gawd, we're out of air position.

This is a coup in modern transit air brake training, fer shure!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: