Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 12:53:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the BCM website - explanation?  (Read 4281 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

Both the main Bus Conversions and the BBS sites have been offline several times over the past few days.

Given that just about everything about the BCM business seems to be in the toilet, many of us fear the worst.

Seems to me a simple explanation/notification (if work on the site is planned) would be appropriate.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »

LoL you been around Mike K long enough Jim do you really expect anything different

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

Clifford, I would not expect a reply from MAK. 

I am hoping to get an explanation from Phil Lyons.

I believe he does quite a bit of the website maintenance.  Also, as one of the owners, I would hope that he would reply.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »

I really hope they (the capital "T" they) continue to maintain this site.  It is one of the big contributers to my actually getting into this.  The BNO site just seems to be about 4 guys perpetually sniping at each other; this site is about busses and bussing.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »

Hi Guy's,

I wish I had an answer for you. It looks like someone other then Phil Lyons is making software changes

resulting in program crashes!

I do have an inquire to MAK and I'm still waiting for a responce.

I'll keep ya posted!

Sorry for the inconvenience
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »

I recently got a reply to a message I sent to the mag in Nov. It was professional and appropriate. Other than being very slow.  I have become attached to this learning medium and also social medium. I met Nicks mom and dad.and many others people I would have never met without this medium for that I am thankful.      Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »

For you night owls,, this forum is down each night lately between 2 am and 4 am most nights for some reason.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »

I really hope they (the capital "T" they) continue to maintain this site.  It is one of the big contributers to my actually getting into this.  The BNO site just seems to be about 4 guys perpetually sniping at each other; this site is about busses and bussing.
 Yeah it never stops with these two , i was just on BNO and they are spatting about "Orange's" of all things. I don't go to BNO much as this is the reason  why ....You would think Ian would at some point say enough ....BS.... . Who knows!  What a way to start the New Year............Shocked Roll Eyes

Sorry for being off topic of Jim"s post, I have also had trouble getting on BCM the last few days..........
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:47:57 PM by longjohn » Logged

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
billmoocow

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »

I really hope they (the capital "T" they) continue to maintain this site.  It is one of the big contributers to my actually getting into this.  The BNO site just seems to be about 4 guys perpetually sniping at each other; this site is about busses and bussing.
     Uglydog, BNO is one of the oldest bus nut sites there is. The archives generally answer any question there is. No site can beat the wealth of knowledge over there! Tried and true and still here. Put your issues aside!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52:55 AM »

Both boards have their advantages not much goes on at BNO any longer same will happen here you can only ask the same questions so many times

Ian does need to update the antique software not bad mouthing the BNO I told Ian that in his survey he did a couple of weeks ago and now the search feature there is so loaded with garbage it takes forever to find anything  

The old saying applies to both these boards we get what we pay for fwiw I glad somebody is trying to keep the MCI board alive it is too neat of a little board Jimmy started to die

good luck
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:56:28 AM by luvrbus » Logged

gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »

Considering the cost to members these two bus websites are pretty much a bargain as I see it!

They may have their faults, but don't we all? Without these two I would be bus illiterate today and surely not be enjoying my buses nearly as much.

Many websites shut down for maintenance in the wee morning hours - my email provider does this. I presume they have to do it sometime?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

Hi Guy's,

MAK's web page[http://busconversions-gobusing.ning.com/] has been testing integration with the BBS

and seems to be what has caused the board crashes thees past weeks.

Phil Lyons will be repairing some hicups all this week so, we may have some more issues. Angry

I konw Phil will get them worked out because he has kept this board running without a glitch

for many years now. Hats off to you Phil Wink

Thanks Folks
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »

I recently took over control and ownership of the MCI Bus Talk forum.  Not nearly as much activity there as there is here but like was already said there is too much wealth in the history to let it go.

Please BCM, if there is risk that you might be having trouble - Don't let this forum fail.  I will gladly take over ownership and maintain the site.  This can't be allowed to fail.

You need to know there are people willing and able to keep this going - same for the magazine.  I have experience in publishing and currently maintain an energy related magazine.  You have done an amazing job, please, if you need help - ask.

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »

Hey Dave, I just tried to register over at the MCI board but it says registration is disabled?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:49 AM »

Yes, we're working on that.  The spammers have overwhelmed our registration system.

Send an email to admin@mcibustalk.com

I'll get you set up.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »

Hi fellow bus enthusiasts.

I have resigned from the ownership team of BCM, but will try to help out as I can.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

Thank you for your efforts Phil, they are well appreciated ! Wink

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »

Hi fellow bus enthusiasts.
I have resigned from the ownership team of BCM, but will try to help out as I can.
Kind Regards, Phil

Phil, thank you for great service!

Question, who is at the helm now?  Can I offer any service?  I want to see this community, not only survive, but thrive.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »

This can't be good.  The technical guy quit.  It is obvious whoever has the keys to the software now is having problems.  One recent outage a few days back was for the better part of a day.

Frequent outages are a good way to ruin any Internet site.  Enough of them and people quit visiting.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 06:22:21 AM »

Surely I am not the only one here that remembers the past before Phil installed the new software and got the board running like a #1 site set back and enjoy the site will go to hell in a hand basket now it is what it is

good luck

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 06:33:44 AM »

Like Brian and Clifford point out, Phil's departure is scary. 

The really scary thought is what happens to all of the great information in the archives if the site tanks?

As Clifford says, all we can do it sit back and see what happens.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »

There was a Scenicruiser site called Strayhound that had a ton of history. We lost that, (Unless the guy that owns it brings it back or sells it to someone wanting the information.) I would hate to see this one go the same route.
Jack
PS...will do what I can to save it!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:56 AM »

Thank you Phil, and thank you to all those who help make this a great site. Their work goes unappreciated for the most part but, I for one, thank you immensely!! There is no way I could/would be enjoying my bus if it wasn't for this site. Period. I would just be another guy looking at big coaches going down the road and wanting one so bad I couldn't stand it knowing I would never have the money to own one. But because I can do the work and have a place to find answers, I can own one.
I hate to see the bickering and wish people could keep their ego's in check as to not piss others off. It "could" eventually become the downfall of the site and it would be a huge shame.
As was stated, there is an amazing wealth of info here and some truly exemplary individuals who have helped most all of us in some way or other. And there is still WAY more to be learned, by us, as well as future bus nuts. I have often wondered how old it must get for the "knowledgable ones" to answer a LOT of the same questions over and over but most still do it. That says a lot about a person and I could not appreciate it more.
So hey guys, I don't know all the inner workings of how this place works but I'm hoping beyond hope that we can keep all the good people here, (not burn them out) and keep the site going.
There is also a popular saying that in any organization, 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Thank you very much to the 10% altho I believe that number is probably a bit smaller than that.

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »

My problem is where the board is headed I am not going to the Ning social network if I have to leave this board so be it

good luck

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »

Chaz, not sure what you are saying about bickering.  Many of us have enough inside information/history that we are very concerned about what is happening.  If that is considered to be major negativity or bickering, then for my part, I apologize.  

I spent a lot of time (several days) with Mike Sullivan at the time of upheaval and I am very uneasy about the changes.  With Mike S gone and now Phil, things are looking very bleak.  Both of those folks worked very hard to make the magazine and forum as good as possible under some very trying conditions.  Towards the end, the magazine track record was terrible, but up to the end, Mike S was working, basically as a "one man show", to keep it afloat.  As you say, they both deserve a big THANKS!

Sean and I have had some off-line discussion about how to salvage our work on this board in case it tanks.  I have no clue as to how to do that.  Maybe Sean will find a easy solution.  A lot of my posts have morphed into articles and I have that work captured.  However, I try to reply to posts with links to related products/sites/etc. and all of that could be lost.  Really scary!

This has been the best forum, by far, but it is on very shaky grounds right now.

I know this sounds like dooms day rhetoric, but it has some basis in fact - at least in my simple mind.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »

Sean and I have had some off-line discussion about how to salvage our work on this board in case it tanks.  I have no clue as to how to do that. ...

Jim, what I am doing is pretty straightforward and anyone here can do the same thing:

• Click on the "Profile" link in the navigation bar above.  Your own profile will come up; in my case I can see that I am ignored by two members Wink
  • Scroll to the bottom where it says "Additional Information"
  • Click on "Show the last posts of this person."
  • Everything you have ever posted will be displayed, 15 items per page, most recent first. Copy and paste what you want.
  • If you prefer, as I do, to start with the oldest first, click on the highest number to the right of "Pages:" in the blue bar at the top or bottom of the results.
  • Clicking the title above any post will take you directly to that post within its thread, in case you want to look at the rest of the thread.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

There is absolutely no reason for this forum to be lost.  If the owners are willing to let someone else take control it will continue for years to come.  I've commented in this thread and sent a personal note... please don't let this go away.  Let someone (I'm volunteering) take ownership and maintain this site.  It can be anyone... I agree with the posts above, I wouldn't be able to own and convert a coach if it wasn't for this board.

Dave

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »

Sean, I had thought about that process.  I hate to think how many pages you have, but I have 128 pages and that would take a ton of time.  Then, you would miss out on the details in the complete thread.

For now, I am going to hold my breath and hope that this site does not vaporize.

BTW, I feel terrible not one person ignores me.  That must mean that they don't read my minutia  Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »

The old saying applies to both these boards we get what we pay for fwiw I glad somebody is trying to keep the MCI board alive it is too neat of a little board Jimmy started to die

good luck

I too am glad that Dave aka Tikvah stepped up to the plate and took over the MciBusTalk Board to keep it from fading away. My tight schedule and added duties at work just wouldn't allow me the time needed to run the site like it needed to be run, and I would hate to see it die. An owner/administrator needs to always stay on top of things for it to successfully grow. Dave offered to take the MCI site over and run it. My hat is off to him since I know it is almost a fulltime job just trying to keep the spambots out without turning away real people wanting to join.  It looks like several new members have already joined over there since Dave took over. From what little I have seen here lately on the MAK Board is that most of the people involved are just wanting some answers instead of being left in the dark. I can't blame them for wanting and expecting that. Dave has also offered his services here on this site and my hopes are that maybe the owners would consider that before letting this site die.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Things will be better.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22622.0

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »

If/when something goes wrong...

To be fair to those who only read here at BCM/MAK, might I suggest a back-up plan for communication?

If BCM/MAK goes dark, remembering that this web domain is an asset of a company in serious financial trouble, with many upset creditors, and resigning owners and IT staff...

Anyone who launches a rescue mission should post over at BNO as to where the castaways have landed.

You don't have to register to read the board at BNO.

http://www.busnut.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.cgi

save this link, just in case. Once there, you just click on "The Board" to see the threads.

Or get your wife, or grandchild, or busnut friend to save it for you, so you aren't lost in space if this is your only connection to the world.

Hopefully we won't need it, but us internet busnuts have to stick together!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »

Good idea. I would hate to loose my "Bus Family". I'm not on BNO but I'll make note.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »

Good evening bus folk,

I would like to clarify my comments as well as update the status of our bus conversions site. 

Leaving the ownership team was for personal & family reasons.  Those that know me well know that I am currently struggling to have any personal time at all for family & friends.  Part ownership in BCM provided no relief to that situation & actually was making it worse. 

"Help out as best I can" I think in my mind was meant to be "help out technically" but candidly due to frustration with some changes on the site came out sounding as it did.  As someone who was very discouraged, and maybe bailing.   But I'm not a bailing kind of guy, so here is the latest. 

Mike k & I had a long planning session & discussion and I think the direction is very positive.  In fact there have been a number of discussions including Nick, Mike K, Mike Sullivan & myself at different times.  Mike Kadletz'  goal in changing things was to try to right the ship financially by making the site easier to use & provide more features.  Well, it didnt work and the site was destabilized.  I hasten to add that it is a struggle to keep a small site & magazine self- supporting.  So i think the goals were good. 

Now something must be done to continue to first stabilize the site then have it evolve to continue to meet bus enthusiast's needs in years to come. Beginning tomorrow morning, Mike Sullivan will begin removing links to Ning & the new classifieds.  There may be a couple of hiccups, but maybe not.  We think we have identified some of the causes of the issues and these are the first steps towards stability.

There may be some other stabilizing changes after that, but we'll wait to see what develops.  Future changes will likely be more Simple Machines add ons, and so will be very smoothly integrated with the overall site.  Also, we will be moving to the next major release of the forum software which should bring more benefits, but be very stable as well.

The forum data continues to be regularly backed up via multiple methods so our bus repository of information is very safe.   Grin

If I could add anything else it would be for those who have been on the site less than 5 or 6 years would be to mention that Mike K started this site over a decade ago & has funded it for many of those years, and paid for countless server and software upgrades in that time.  I can't really think of a time that I asked him for an upgrade for our community site that he said "no".

Well this is more than I usually say in a couple of months, please let me know if I can answer any questions & thanks for all your help & support over the years. 

Kind regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »

Phil, when I say thanks, it is a HUGE thanks!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »

Phil, thanks for the very informative and encouraging post.  And of course, THANKS for all that you do.

There are lots of bus forums out there.  Some are "hosted" by organizations (such as our eaglesinternational.net), some are hosted by individuals, some are hosted by special interest groups. 

In my mind this forum is quite different.  It is a "commercial site".  It is part of a business.  It is here to generate income (probably wishful thinking, but it is a business never-the-less).  Lots of folks support this site by their subscriptions to BCM.  Many of us support this site by being contributors to the magazine part of the business.   So, we have a somewhat different view of what we expect and have come to love and appreciate.  We think that the business owes us this site.  Of course, it doesn't, but that kind of thinking probably prevails.

Because many of us have contributed one way or another, we think we have a right to know what the heck is going on - that is the reason I started this thread.  Some of us have become so concerned about the forum that we have thought about doing our own archive of the material that we "contributed" to this forum.  There is a huge amount of useful data in the archives of this forum and the thought of loosing it is a huge concern.

As we all know, there is no guarantee that any business or forum will be around forever.  When the leaders of this business/forum go into a non-communication status, folks like myself jump to a very negative scenario of what is going on.  When that happens, folks who support the effort withdraw and things begin to tank.

Your post goes a long way to help us understand that our worst fears are not as bad as we think and there is a plan to keep this wonderful forum alive and well.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »

i am not absolutely certain if this site solves the what  if scenario,but there is an archive of this and many other forums here...
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Simply  paste the URL for this site in the box..and i believe the search function will work also...
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php
And a calender will appear.
Liked the rest here I hope that the situ resolves itself, but MANY forums are sustained by user donations.
Just a thought.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: