Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 03:18:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the pics arnt of my bus just way it could be converted.im converting a 1980 mci  (Read 1477 times)
glenn
Glenn & Sharon

mci 9

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »

the pics arnt of my bus just way it could be converted.im converting a 1980 mci 9
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »

Whut?Huh? Undecided

No conversion ever turns out the way that you really want it....

Mine just is butt ugly inside and out. I keep moving walls and appliances and still don't
know what I want because I probably couldn't afford it anyway.. Hack Hack & Chop & Chop,
Build something new and tear it out 3 months later... That's normal for me.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 06:09:46 PM »

I hope that doesn't happen to me I don't have enough time to do it once let alone more than once

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 06:33:18 PM »

Altough I am determined that this is going to be the only conversion I do, everyone has said that it can't be done jsut once, and that I will have to do another one at some point. 

I don't think I ever want to do another.  This is way cool and I love my bus, but damn its swallowed up my life

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »

MC9 is a good bus, how far along in the conversion are you.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »

Glenn, if you're the same "Glenn" that needs some MC9 windows, I have some.  Took some down to Dallas at T'ville, and he probably still has them, if anyone is out that  way....or, if anyone comes thru the Charlotte area, let me know.  I'll load'em right up.  Let me know how many you need.
I'll be at Arcadia, excepting major failure,  and will be happy to bring a couple down.
Regarding your bus build plans, good luck on getting what you want!   I'm locked into the general concept, but there are many things I wish that I'd done differently.   Too late now.  It works and the plan is done.  The bus isn't...but the general concept in now inviolate.
I'd like to do one more....a 102" wide.  Probably another MCI since I'm familiar with there idiosyncrasies (sp?).  A 40' C or D (preferably a D) would be cool.  I calculate I could afford a nice D by the time I'm ........92?
 A "C" would be cool enough too.  I like the smooth sides and headroom. 
We'll see.  I could essentially sacrifice my present shell and reuse most of the RV stuff.  Only paid 12K for the coach...so that loss wouldn't be insufferable.    Don't know what the complete coach would bring.   Or some variations as leave the ACs, and windows and woodwork.  My woodwork wouldn't be reused...that's a weak link. 
Glenn, may I suggest you go to many bus rallies and see what others have done before beginning your conversion. 
Had I done that, I could have had an entirely different way of going about the project. 
I enjoy working on the bus, and would readily build another.  As long as health holds out.  At 61 years of old, doo-doo happens fast.   But it ain't happened yet. 
Glenn, I've been out of town since last Thursday, so may have response to your question already...if it's really you!
We'll get together.
BTW, has anyone heard of an 102A2 that was partially converted by Va Caoch, had a large slide, really nice exterior finish.
And genset and ACs and that was it.   Haven't heard from this guy since T'ville last spring?   Forget names ....maybe Roger?   The A2 is a different item.  Anyone seen it? 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 07:31:30 AM »

I could essentially sacrifice my present shell and reuse most of the RV stuff.

I was thinking the same thing.  Most of the high end stuff is removable and reusable.  for what these older buses are bringing on eBay, that might be more cost effective than selling the complete bus too cheap.  harvest the good stuff then sell the rest as a shell.

Ross
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »

Amen Ross.   Have you given much thought to what you want for your next conversion shell? 
I've got over $28K in conversion product, but only $12K in the shell.  And the interior hard parts will come out without much difficulty.  Most of it would.  Hot water heate and LP heater would leave holes in the side...but they are not expensive to leave either. 
That is a plan for the future! 
Still, the old NJT runs well, always has....cannot really see a point right now.  And highly unlikely that we would ever full-time...unlikely, not totally out of the question. 
I'd like to have a flat ceiling and a little more width.   It's right amazing the difference between a 96" coach and a 102" coach...I was in Ace's and Jerry Campbells coaches and Jerry's 102A3 has similar dimensions to my 9 in all but the width, it still felt much roomier...Ace's coach...that's just really nice and has the feel of luxury.   
I believe that selling a nicely painted shell would be easier than selling a semi-completed (are any completed?) home-grown conversion.  This is especially true with a simple conversion like mine. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »

Boy, I hope Glen & Sharon finish this thread....

And Their Bus....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »

Amen Ross.   Have you given much thought to what you want for your next conversion shell? 

A 102C3 for sure.  Possibly with two slides.  I figure just pulling the genset, inverter, batteries and proheat from the MC9 would save me 10-12K in parts on the new one ans probably would only reduce the selling price of the MC9 by about 1/3 the replacement cos of those parts.  A buyer would still have a very nice, usable bus.

Ross
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »

Boy, I hope Glen & Sharon finish this thread....And Their Bus....
Nick-

This "abstract" addition to Glenn's thread is a carefully contrived effort to direct them into a 102C3 before they get started.   The goal is to save them mucho peso and additional work.   I take it, the concept isn't working?  Wink
Glenn, let me know about the windows!  I'm parking a dumpster out here next week.   Huh
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: