Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:45:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No start... lost prime?  (Read 745 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

Eagle won't start today.  Turns over but nothing, no smoke no nothing.  Anybody have any suggestions?  8v71 Natural

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

speed of the turn over?

temperature?

But, with no smoke of any kind, you already know what is missing...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

Been pretty cold the past few nights, Monday and Tuesday night were around 20...  But only 45 last night and today it's 66 degrees.  Seems to be turning fast enough... Certainly enough to generate some smoke... But absolutely nothing but wind coming out of the pipes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:58:55 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
blank

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »

There was a thread just yesterday about the same problem. This issue is becoming so common it would appear to be the single biggest issue with owning a Bus.

Mine has sat several months and still started, but I want to check the fuel lines end to end before it ever leaves the yard, and I would like to install a booster pump.

If the controls aren't stuck somewhere keeping it in a no fuel condition you need to do the whole filling the fuel filters deal. Whatever you do don't crank it for long periods and dont crank it down till its dead. As soon as you see it slowing you need to stop and let it charge and cool the starter or you'll burn up the starter and your batteries wont like it either. 30 seconds is about as long as you want to crank it if its not firing. If your not seeing smoke at the tail pipe its not getting fuel.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »

Looks like it was the fuel shutoff plunger, just like the other post... Up and running again.   Grin

blank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »

Cool!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »

That would be the "other" reason for no smoke...  no fuel equals no fuel equals no smoke...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
davido

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »

I had the same problem.

I had previously lost the prime after parking on an incline with a low tank. The PO had installed an elevator pump, but it was dead. We scavenged the one off the generator to get it running. Replaced it later with a Airtex E8153 - came stock on a 2000 Dodge Cummins.

It worked wonders when starting it after setting up a while. It instantly made it crank faster and then fired right up. I'd highly recommend adding one if you don't have one already.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: