Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 11:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical transformer question  (Read 664 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:18:55 PM »

I am needing to put a transformer on a line for some 12V AC light.  My question is:  Would you place the transformer on the panel on the hot side of the switch or after the switch so the transformer is not "hot" all the time?

Thanks,
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:38:27 PM »

Personally, I feel you would be better wiring it after the switch at the panel so that the circuit is on only when switched. Certainly seems a safer way to me. Consider that you should probably fuse the primary & secondary of the transformer as well, depending on your load and type of transformer chosen.

Tom Weeks
BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
Stupid Bus Newbie Smiley
Rick Brown

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »

If convenient you should switch the primary.  Otherwise it is fine to switch on the load side.  You need only to fuse one side of the transformer and again the primary is preferable.  Keep in mind that if you wish to limit secondary side current to, say, 10 Amps and you have a 10:1 step down transformer your primary side fuse would be 1 Amp.
-Rick Brown in Reno
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: