Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 02:23:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The EMP proof Bus  (Read 6908 times)
blank

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

Taking a page from another thread, I thought I would start a thread a few of us tin foil hat wearers might find interesting.

Without getting into the probablity of an EMP happening, or the craziness of it or whatever, I simply thought it could be interesting to discuss the situation from the direction of keeping our rig functioning if we got hit with a real good one.

We start with the premise that it is going to occur, and it will wipe out all transistors, micro processors, integrated circuits, computers, ECM's, etc... Things that I have read suggest condenser/capacitors will likely fail as well, and my Uncle concurs. No one has said anything about diodes, and I havnt asked, so lets throw those in too. So lets accept the worst case suggestions, that all these sensitive electrical items will be destroyed, that the only parts left within 1000 miles that will still function are protected in a faraday cage and buried.

So were 700 miles away from home partying at some pretty campground with our Bus buddies. The EMP strikes and everything discussed has been damaged. Which kind of systems or which particular Bus would be the best to own at that moment?

Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »

One you could live in.  Grin
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »

Answer,

Electromagnetic Shielding...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jbnewman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »

So were 700 miles away from home partying at some pretty campground with our Bus buddies. The EMP strikes and everything discussed has been damaged. Which kind of systems or which particular Bus would be the best to own at that moment?

I'd recommend the driver avoid wearing a pacemaker.

-jbn
Justin
Chicago, Illinois

No bus.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »

One wearing a tin foil hat!  (Sorry, couldn't resist ...)   Cheesy

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »

A MUI Detroit doesn't actually need electricity to run, as long as you have a hill to bump start it...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »

I'm guessing any completely non-electronic vehicle would still be driveable, but those of us blessed/cursed with DDEC would be SOL.   Too bad that DDEC engines cannot be made to run, at least in limp-home mode, without their electronics working.   If I recall, one of Mercedes' early electronic fuel injection systems (was it CIS?) for their cars in the 1970s had that ability, potentially very useful if electrons ceased to flow.   (Mind you, my 1970 Mercedes had mechanical fuel injection, sort of like Messerschmidt fighter engines had in WW2, and it worked just fine without any ECM.   It even automatically compensated for altitude and temperature.)

My friend's two old buses would still run, but mine would be dead in the water.   Such is progress!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

Question, will an emp or huge solar flare take out a battery?  If not I would think me and my mc7 would have the roads pretty much to ourselves!  At least till I ran out of fuel.  John M.

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »

http://www.solarstormwarning.com/

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
blank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »

I haven't read or heard anything about it harming batteries except from shorts in connected equipment. But an alternator and solid state regulator isn't going to make it. You'll only be able to run until your batteries die. Though as Brian points out, the engine really does not need electrical power to run other than to turn the starter. The older DC generators and mechanical voltage regulators will likely survive as long as they aren't struck with high voltage from the E3 component.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

Maybe ET can help us repair damage from the EMP assuming that the EPA, NASA, and DOD allow the UFO an ETA.  WOW, this has got ME thinking of MOON PIES (which they could pick up on the way) for the FT since I was a KID.  At least WE have LPG so me and the MILF can stay warm.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »

wow...

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »

The the B-25 was named after a guy who was court Marshalled, stripped of rank, and who died in disgrace three years before it was built. Just sayin. You can believe youll wake up every day to the same world every day all you want, but history has proven it to be a false belief.

I do maintenance to prevent failures on the road. I buy lots of groceries when I'm in town so I dont have to drive there every day. I cut and chop wood when its nice so I have heat when its not. And I contemplate how I would get my baby girl home if the worst case scenario happens. I simply cannot imagine a father who does not think that way. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Even a bird seeks shelter before a storm.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »

Artvonne well said.

Look at what this country has gone through in it's short life.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »

Just once I'd like to see a thread remain on topic.

Artvonne asked a very specific question, PERTAINING TO BUSSES. He specificly stipulated he was not interested in facts or opinions on the underlying premises. He just wanted to know about resistance to EMP events.

So now there are comments entirely unrelated to the thread.

So, being the thread is already off topic, I will assuage a few doubts as to the POSSIBILITY, not eventuality, of the event in question.

Aside from natural occurring phenomena, and actual  attacks by hostile entities, there are attacks by crazy people.

Such as BUS NUTS!

This might prove interesting:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/11/68926.html?1325815255

The end of the thread is relevant.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: