Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 05:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for specific generator  (Read 805 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »

I'm looking for either a propane or gasoline generator (around 10kw) that has 2 main features:

1. Electric start

2. Auto idle control

I've only seen a couple of different brands, but I hope to find one with a "name brand" engine.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

I don't believe I've seen an idle control on a gas (gasoline or propane) genset.  Onan, Kohler, Yanmar, Generac, Caterpillar, Powertech and others make 10kw gas generators.  Make sure it is water cooled and operates at 1800rpm-will much happier with it and will be very quiet.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »

I have a couple of models, but they don't generally operate at 1800 rpms and not water cooled...so those 2 other features would also be nice.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:52:34 AM »

In the generator world you have many  choices for proper generators.
You can have either a good easy to live with unit that runs at 1800 rpm when it is running  OR you have a less desireable 3600 rpm with the idle circuit, these are not very desirable for numerous reasons, noise, short life, noise added cost of upkeep. Gasoline is better than LP Gas for a RV generator due to cost of operation, diesel is much less then either. 

Being in the generator business for 40+ years, I also tried the gasoline, then LPG, then finally had enough of it and built a 12.5 kw diesel unit up, ran it as long as I had the bus.
Some areas you really do not want to cheap out on, I feel the generator is not where you want to cheap out, better go with cheap tires, cheap oil, cheap anywhere else.
MY Opinion & FWIW
Been there, no thanks again.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:20 AM »

What is 'Auto idle' or 'Idle Control'? My petrol generator has what it calls 'smart throttle', where the generator chooses what speed to run at depending upon the load. But that is pretty common I think so I'm guessing 'idle control' is something different?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »

If your generator runs at varying speeds depending on the load, then it is an inverter type machine.  The standard type generator must run at a constant speed regardless of load to maintain the proper frequency.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »

I personally think your being realistic and trying for best for your application.  Your building a Older MCI from pictures and don't want the gen set to equal half the finished valve of bus.  I have a 7.5 LP unit that is in a RV box it is a 3600 rpm unit air cooled. being LP it will outlast a gas engine. Not that much more noisy that the quiet diesel I have seen in fact I have been around some real noisy ones real! So do the math and get what you need. The 7.5 unit runs my entire coach  provides 52amps of power=more than you can get at most camp grounds.  I bought it with 34hrs on it from a generator supply house (traded in for larger unit for police command center)  Total investment tank and all less that $2000. Runs everything in 45ft all electric coach.  I agree a fine new top of the line diesel gen set is first choice.. Sometimes we have to make decisions.   Safe ones!      PS the gas gen set I have in 89 has been in use for 6 yrs and is doing great.  One friend has a factory diesel gen set coach that has original gen set in it 92 yr 350 total hrs on his. Bus will rust down around it if it last 10,000hrs    Choices   safe ones

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »

I think Lin is right on the idle feature. FWIW I have an Onan 6.5 gasser in my MCI. It's very quiet. I can talk at normal volume standing beside it & can hardly hear it at all inside. It runs at 1800 RPM continually.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »

If your generator runs at varying speeds depending on the load, then it is an inverter type machine.  The standard type generator must run at a constant speed regardless of load to maintain the proper frequency.

Yes it is. So 'idle control' is like an on/off switch - either idle or constant speed, rather than variable speed as with the 'smart throttle'?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: