Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 11:10:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upscale Laminate Flooring question  (Read 2000 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »

We have a chance to buy enough laminate flooring to do the floors in our bus from front to back. The flooring is from Sweeden and is called Alloc. It seems to have a a deluxe finish, standard center of typical manufactured material, but the third layer is all aluminum. This is clip together layer (no hammer tapping necessary) The bottom layer is a rubberized layer material to work as a vapor barrier. The flooring is 1/4" thick. They want $3.50 a foot for this flooring. Has anyone heard of this type off flooring?

Also, I have installed 3/4" plywood over the original metal bus floor. Instead of installing this flooring as a "floating floor" can I glue this flooring down?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:11:46 AM »

Can't answer your questions but FWIW, I installed mine as a floating floor & haven't had any problems for the three years it's been there.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »

It is not meant to be glued. Don't glue it.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »

Dave you may want too contact Ace.  I believe this is in his line of business.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »

Dave I'm not an expert but I do believe the flooring you're speaking of because of the aluminum is what we refer to as an HPL or better known as high pressure laminate. Most laminate's that dont have the aluminum intrusion are referred to as DPL better known as direct pressure laminate! Most all laminates are pressed paper and fiber board without any intrusion but they mostly install the same way!
Not sure about the moisture capabilities but I'm thinking it's probably like the rest and not intended to be around much moisture or water! As for direct gluing? That's a no no! Again all glue or adhesives have water in them!  Leave it at that!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

Dave ::  We did our bus with a cheaper brand than yours but it was a giant mistake. More than the moister factor was the change of temp. It has become not so pretty a surface, so I intend to carpet over it.  Relay looked great for a while but o well.      Tony
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »

Tony is correct! Actually the temp difference he is referring to is still a moisture situation! If you don't run the airs or have a means to keep the humidity down then yes, you will get warpage, separation, delamination, whatever! The stuff just does not like standing water, spills that can seep in the seams, or high humidity which is a form of moisture!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »

I hope the pergo flooring i bought 3 weeks ago lasts for more than a month.. am redoing the living area floor for it, so i wont glue it down, now that i read the posts.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
CountingFireflies

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »

We live in the south (normally,) and it was suggested that we leave lots of space for expansion at the walls and under the seats to help with swelling and shrinking.   We used a much cheaper home-depot variety and it's performed well so far.

From the road...
Chris
'89 MCI 102c3 8v92t
2008 Jeep JK Rubicon toad
Chauffeur for www.countingfireflies.com
Tweeting: countnfireflies
KJ4YQB - General operator
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »

Our bus has laminate flooring for 5, 6 years now. Still looks good. No problems.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »

We have laminate in the family room at home a Evap cooler will make the stuff crawl like crazy,

I am going to install vinyl  planks in the S&S we have I think it better flooring and cost is about the same or a little more than the better laminate takes the hassle away from leaving expansion on each side to catch the dirt neat stuff the vinyl planks IMO sure looks good in the high end RV's

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »

The vinyl planks are my first choice! Had them in the last two buses but switched up this time for ceramic

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
brianhinfl

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »

I put down Alloc flooring in my house 12 years ago.  I think its a great product, has held up well and I was able to do a 12x14 room in under 4 hours.  I would not recommend gluing it down.  Some of the extras I had were in my garage underneath an air handler that had a drain pipe clog, which dumped quite a bit of water on it.  The important parts of the laminate did well and didn't show any signs of water damage, however the cardboard backing, not all Alloc flooring has that so the one you have may not, separated from the rest of the laminate, warped and in some places fell apart.   I wouldn't want that happening under my floor, if for no other reason would create wierd sounds and feeling underfoot as you walked across it.

rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:08:03 AM »

Ace How would solid Bamboo hold up in a bus. I am thinking about bamboo because I like the look and the harsness should hold up to traffic. What say you. Thanks,   Rod

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »

I've never dealt a lot with bamboo because of its cost but I have heard that it wears good. Not sure about expansion or shrinkage and potential water! It would be best to check with those that have it and see how they like it! I know we don't sell much of it where I contract out of and we are a leading design store that sells to the higher ups!
Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: