Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 02, 2014, 01:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upscale Laminate Flooring question  (Read 1861 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »

I have installed bamboo flooring and it will hold up well but is subject to the same scuffs and scrapes as any wood floor. Also as with ANY wood (or engineered wood) floor it is subject to moisture damage if OVER exposed to water or damp conditions. Bamboo (unlike other woods -- because it really is a grass) has a tendency to draw moisture in and will stain at the cut ends of the "boards" if they are not sealed after they are cut. Not typically a problem but I would pay attention if used by showers kitchen sinks bathrooms entry ways where water may be left and not cleaned up right away.  Just my experience.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »

I and several others on the HDT forum on Escapees have also been researching and using this type flooring.  After many searches I have found "waterproof, pvc, laminate flooring" sites, but still haven't had samples to evaluate.  It does sound practical for all of us that have the need for tough, waterproof (not water resistant) floors.  Here is a reprint from one site and Mannington is just one brand, here is another - http://www.forestaflooring.com/ 

Waterproof Laminate
Is Waterproof Laminate Flooring a Reality or Still Just a Pipe Dream?
By Lee Wallender, About.com Guide .Is Mannington ICORE the World's First True Waterproof Laminate?
ManningtonWaterproof laminate: it's one of mankind's greatest dreams, up there with landing on Mars and solving world hunger. We joke--but not it's not that much of a joke.
Moisture has long bedeviled the laminate flooring industry, and has been one of the major reasons why many homeowners choose not to install laminate in wet places.

The Core of Laminate Floor's Problem...is the Core
The problem is not with the top layer, but with the core. Laminate flooring's core is little more than high- or medium-density fiberboard or particle board. If you've ever seen a sheet of particle board get rained on, you'll know how it bubbles up and crumbles like a wet soda cracker.
Moisture During Manufacturing
One little-known aspect of this moisture-and-laminate issue is that the moisture problem actually starts in the factory, not in the home. Flooring manufacturers have found that high moisture content in the fiberboard particles in the factory can result in poor adhesion of the top melamine wear layer.
Past Attempts to Develop "Waterproof Laminate"
The response by flooring manufacturers, to this point, has been to cover up and ignore the problem. Past responses have been:
1.They counsel homeowners not to install the product in moist places, such as basements or children's bathrooms.
2.They develop stop-gap solutions such as tighter seams and better adhesion between the boards.
3.Another solution has been to introduce more melamine resins in the fiberboard mix. So, rather than having a highly absorbent particle core that practically sucks water from the air, they now have a slightly less absorbent core.
However you slice it, it's still a problem.
Now, though, a new generation of waterproof laminate is making its way on the market, and it's worth considering.

Mannington's ICORE - First Attempt at Waterproof Laminate
In 2003, Mannington Mills patented a new type of waterproof laminate that bypassed many of those previous solutions. Their product, dubbed ICORE, has some of these features:
•Thermoplastic Core, Not Fiberboard - The key aspect is that ICORE does away with the fiberboard and replaces it with a "plastic" core made of PVC. As you can imagine, PVC (which is also used for water pipes) is quite waterproof.
•Print Layer and Overlay - This is just like conventional laminate flooring. Separate layers are required for better print adhesion, rather than printing straight onto the thermoplastic core.
•Honeycombed "Cells" Inside - "Foot feel" is important with laminate flooring, because it is so thin. Walking on laminate flooring can be difficult because it has little "give." With waterproof laminate such as ICORE, interior channels or cells make for a springier feel.

I also have found several pvc core materials that seem to be the same design that has a series of parallel passages between the top and bottom surfaces.  Most are foreign flooring sites, but share a common origin - China.  Searches will find many like this one - http://factory.dhgate.com/plastic-flooring/100-waterproof-laminated-pvc-flooring-p40171743.html

Keep the feedback coming so all of us can find the best solutions.

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: