Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 05:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Repairs and Service near Albuquerque  (Read 2180 times)
natepelton

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

Can anyone recommend a shop near Albuquerque to get light service and my car hooked up to tow?

1983 Prevost
2004 Honda CRV

Not knowing much about the bus, which plan is the least crazy : 1)fly out, drive bus back, 2) drive out, tow car back 4 down, 3) drive out, tow car back on rented UHaul trailer?

Thanks-
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »

When I took a 260Z back to a friend in the midwest I used a tow dolly behind the bus.  The lights were easy to hook up and I didn't need to do anything to the car to get it ready to tow.

What kind of service do you need --- I use different shops for different things

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

Need to check out coach net.  for towing and road service.   Did previous owner not give you a idea of condition of bus including age of tires?  Lots of guys along way for support.  Check out help assist list.  The light voltage change over is not for your typical trailer shop. They normally don't grasp it.  Wish you had more confidence in bus and could just fly down and drive home .Address issues when you get on home turf. with time to do.  What info do you have? From dealer?   Tires look good means little  age counts most in this case. Tires are dated on sidewall!   Noticed post on light while I was typing. Just remember ck voltage on bus. Prevost unless modified will be 24 volt.   Bob
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:26:47 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »

If needing engine service Stewart and Stevenson I have a friend there with mobile service bad timing for him he is head for AZ but I will PM you a couple of owners there that will know of other places,Melbo has good contacts there then you have Jim at Smith's Ultimate Linning (505) 332-1403 (Eagle owner) those 2 will get you headed in the right direction

good luck
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:33:09 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

Did previous owner not give you a idea of condition of bus including age of tires? The light voltage change over is not for your typical trailer shop. They normally don't grasp it.  Wish you had more confidence in bus and could just fly down and drive home .Address issues when you get on home turf. with time to do.  What info do you have? From dealer?   Tires look good means little  age counts most in this case. Tires are dated on sidewall!  

I decided on the bus after numerous phone conversations, emails, photos, and videos were exchanged. I've been looking for several years and am fairly certain this is the one! I did not get the age of the tires, but have seen photos and the PO said the tags could be down around 10%, but the rest good. No sidewall cracking. I certainly would prefer to fly out and drive home with no trailer, but always like to have a Plan B.

Is that what most would do? Fly out and cross the fingers?
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »

That is sort of what i did. Smiley Flew out and drove back....forgot to cross fingers though.  Of course i only had an 1100 mile trip to get home. But then again,...my bus is older, a 68. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

Nate: can offer if you have problems close to SW Indiana could leave here til you could get  straightened out. Sure others would offer same in case of emergency. Lot of driving to do both ways this time of year. Sounds like you have done your home work.  I would say if you make it the first few hundred miles chances are good for a safe trip.  That will give a test to all systems and tires.  Post if you need help.  What interstate is your main West to East Plan? Thru KY TN In  area?    Bob

trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »

Get coach.net before you leave.  If you break down they will save you much grief.  How far do you have to go?  Let us know the route you are planning and people along the way will help if needed.  The folks on this board are willing to help.  Have a local bus mechanic check it out, make sure the rubber is good, fly out and drive it home.  Enjoy the journey.  Even if you break down it's all part of the adventure...and leaves you with stories to tell at the rallies.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »

And heck, you don't want to go to a rally and be the only one standing there without any good stories to tell, do you? Grin   We were going to go to Quartzsite this morning for the rally,... just a short 80 mile drive from here. Didn't make it. Never got to even fire it up even though everything was ready to go. Had to reschedule launch time until tomorrow,.....but now when i get there i have a story to tell. Grin Grin Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

As others have said, get Coachnet before you go....Could save you $$$$
If it were me, I would fly out, get it serviced and hit the road.
Good Luck on your adventure, whichever way you do it  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Cawston, British Columbia
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:49:35 AM »

Fly out - Drive bus back.

That's what I did 14 years ago- I'd do again tomorrow.

Lets you get to know the bus in a way that's hard to beat.

My trip was about 1800 miles. by the way, fuel was a lot cheaper.

Enjoy the great trip home!

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:53 AM »

I would prefer to drive out and tow back.

Mostly because, is something happens to the bus, you still have wheels. That can be invaluable, if you need a simple part from the next town, if you are stuck in a hotel, for some reason, or anything else.

My two cents...Take that and four dollars and by yourself a cup of coffee.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »

I will get CoachNet before heading home. Does anyone know if you have to have the bus registered to get CoachNet or just have the VIN and a credit card? I'll be driving home on an In-Transit permit from state of NM.

I don't want to drive to NM from NY and find no one wants to mess with a 24V tow system, then I have two vehicles and one driver.

I'm leaning toward flying out, doing a thorough inspection, and driving back.

Oh, did you all put it together this is the same bus that has no heat right now?

At a minimum, car or no car, I will have the manuals, laptop, cell phone, portable power pack and solar panel, internet connection through my phone for the computer, rain gear, and some basic tools.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »

Nate, I drove my bus back from Dallas area to the Denver area in the dead of winter with no functioning heat.  I was sure glad that I took my insulated boots and good Carhartts.  Being cold keeps you wide awake Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Nate, what part of New York? If driving out there bring all the tools you can carry, multi-meter etc. Drove out to southern Ill. to get ours and lost a fuel pump in Amarillo Tx. on the way back. I brought every big tool in my arsenal that I could stuff in the Corvette we traded for the bus and was glad I did! good luck and all the best! Wink
Oh! and don't forget plenty of rags and hand cleaner lol!

Van
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:58:30 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

Fly out - drive home.  Like Van said - take lots of tools.  Towing 4 down or pulling a trailer adds a complication that you don't need on your first trip.  Not to say you won't have trouble and wish you had a run around vehicle but there's no guarantee the towing experience will be trouble free either.

If you plan to have a separate set of bus tools then consider buying some of them where you p/u the bus so that you don't have to fly with such a large toolbox.  And remember - the most useful tool you can carry is a high limit credit card.    Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

If I had the high limit card with me then Bob, it would have solved all my first bus misfortunes, I would have brought home a much nicer coach  Grin Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »

Nate when you get there: hope fully with some guidance you can get at least drivers heat going/defroster. That will take care of front of bus and more.

natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »

Thank you for the encouragement. It really does boost my confidence knowing the knowledge of this board exists! And thank you for the offers of help if needed. Add me to that list - I am self-employed and almost always available to help if someone is in the area. I run a whitewater rafting company on the Hudson River in North Creek, NY. This bus is going to be my mobile base of operations!!
-Nate Pelton

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »

Bought my plane ticket. Monday 1/30 the adventure begins.

The shortest route is to go 40>44>70>90. Would you guys take a more southern route despite increased mileage? I want to avoid steep grades for now if possible too.

-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

You will do well on that route.  The only uphill that is long is the first one out of Abq and after that it is fine. I use that route to avoid weather as well.

Melbo

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »

I'd watch the weather more than the grades.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

If you have that much time and trust the seller, you might consider shipping a box of tools rather than paying the extra charge on the airplane.
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »

Coach-net and credit cards,  you be fine.
Good luck Matt

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »

On the subject of breaking down while on a trip - here's a guy who believes in redundancy.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

Nate,
My wife and I took a flight from Boise Id to south Caralina to get our bus. Had a mechanic look it over first. Drove it home made it to Nebraska. blower went out. Rented a car got home for work. 3 months later went to pick it up first of September. No heat or defrost got down to 23 deg. had small space heater. only got cold when driving. had fans for the windsheld. We had the best time of our lives. Fly and drive. You will have a story.
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »

What tools would you guys consider essential for the trip? I can ship a 12x12x20 tool box and buy a few things too.

And what would be the minimum you'd have a mechanic look at before the trip?

Does anyone know if all the tires are the same? If I have the money, I might get a new pair of steering tires put on and replace the worst ones, which from the PO's desc, are the tags.

I'm figuring $400+ per tire?

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 04:39:47 AM »

I shipped a box of small hand tools,rags,hand cleaner,hose clamps,duct tape and a hunk of wire and some wire nuts to the seller. It was a box about 1 foot square and UPS'd it. Came in handy. Bought new tires and an air cleaner before I left for home.

Sounds like your trip will be fun. Enjoy

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 04:51:58 AM »

All you need is a set of fuel filters, a filter wrench and a can of fuel to prime with not much else you can repair on the side of the road it is going to the shop 98% of the time if not fuel filters why worry

good luck

Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »

If you are going to do tires (I would want to look at them first)

Check with Circle J tires -- they have treated me well

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »

- some basic wrenches - if you are wrenching it will be on the fuel system so nothing really big needed
- VOM, test light, electric troubleshooting & minor repair supplies
- filter wrench
- grease gun (might want to buy that when you get there because its bulky and cheap)
- battery terminal cleaner
- tire pressure gauge (you need one that works on duals)

When you get there buy a case of oil and a case of antifreeze before you leave.  I'd want to look real hard at the ball joints before I took off - if one falls off it will really mess up your day.  Make sure there's oil or grease in all the bearings and if you have to add any oil then carry some hub oil and check them regularly.  A handheld GPS will give you a backup speedometer. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

I thought I would bring this to the top again to see how the "adventure" worked out.  I will also bring the travel thread to the top, to see if he avoided the big storm here in CO the past few days.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »

Hello-
I posted a trip report on the "1983 Prevost Pictures" thread, but as far as the service in Albuquerque goes, Stewart and Stephenson referred me to Harrera Coach and the mechanic canceled the appt and never called the PO, left him waiting at the bus for 4 hours, no call nothing. So I just inspected the bus myself and trusted the PO. Read more in the other thread.
Ended running the more southern route and didn't hit a drop of rain or flake of snow. All is well.
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

Liability is to great for a outfit to give a complete inspection on a bus,I have a situation right now with a friend selling his bus and another friend buying it and both want my take on it, talk about being between a rock and a hard place what ever I say or do 1 is not going to happy so I passed lol now both are upset.

Get a DOT inspection for the safety aspects,take it to engine manufacture for the engine and Allison for the transmission  do the rest yourself was my advice 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:19:36 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: