Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 12:06:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Draining MC9 air tanks  (Read 972 times)
kwood

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:01:04 PM »

Can anyone please tell me all the places I should drain the air tanks in and MC9?  I would hate to have something rust out because I let water build up in it.

Thanks,

Kevin
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »

There's a tank immediately in front of the drive axle, 3 tanks behind the steering axle, and one tank in the tool compartment (beneath the drivers window above the window washer tank).  There is a drain for the compressor outlet just inside the RH (curbside) side engine service door.   Air up the bus, and drain the comp drain just before the compressor cuts out.  The tanks can be drained, or checked, with the bus aired up from shop air or bus compressor.  I use a water separater between the shop air and bus system. 
The above tank location describes my 87 MC9.  There may be other layouts, but on an MC9 the tanks will be located in these locations.
Shouldn't get much water or oil from any tanks.   If you do, the dryer probably should be serviced.  It's also located in the steering axle area. 
The compressor drain has a copper line that runs up into a pipe looking thing hanging off the compressor main outlet in the engine room.  The tag axle valves are also located at the drain.  If you inadvertantly turn the tag valves, verify that the tag axle bags are both inflated.  The low tag light should lite up if the tags aren't properly inflated....but...be sure.  My MC9 tag dump valves were not correctly oriented.  Had to re-orient the valves.   

JR

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:40:29 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:04:09 AM »

Thank you very much.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Now, how do I get to the tanks by the front axle?  I don't see them in the spare tire compartment.

Regards,
Kevin
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:07:37 AM »

They are  behind the front axle on the bulkhead that is in fron of the fuel tank compartment. To make this job easier, replace the drain vaqlves with spring loaded valves with a lanyard that can be activated without crawling under the bus. These are available at any big truck parts supply store.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:59:23 AM »

The tank drains can be reached using an RV awning hook.  I use the same hook that came with our A&E awning.   Dual purpose tool if you will.
Jack's idea is better, but mine is easier!  Wink
BTW, if you use chains, keep them up out of harms way.  Be gone before you drive a mile.
If you don't get water immediately, no need to bleed off a lot of air.  The crud will be right on the bottom and should be ejected quickly.  If you find water in your tanks, fix the dryer.   If you live in an area where it gets really cold, and you wish to use the bus in during sub-freezing weather, drain the tanks daily.  This may not be necessary if you're not getting any water, but if you are, something's gonna freeze.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:03:36 AM »

One more little detail, if you have pull drains installed in your tanks, they can be pulled sideways.  They don't have to be pulled downward.  So all the "pulling" can be done from the side of the coach.  Only takes a gentle pull.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 05:03:35 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I'll look underneath.

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: