Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What caused fire in 45 xle (BOB's)  (Read 1116 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »

For those who don't know history: I bought coach as salvage shell for $1200.  It had a rear brake that overheated and set the tires on fire. It had been driven a short distance and parked in front of the previous owners home for cleaning.  He went into house. Returned to see bus in flames. Fire department was close by and put it out. considered a total loss. The engine trans and other parts were sold. I bought what was left at a sight unseen deal for $1200..Point being the brake caused fire and took awhile after parked to ignite tires. I talked with insurance adjuster and this was his opinion. There are actually video of this fire.  I wonder the same questions you will ask? couldn't you feel brake dragging? Smell??.  During rebuild I have seen no other reason as fire never entered any bays. and damage was confined basically behind rear differential.  apears to been right rear tag. as the brake chambers on drive axles were not damaged. Front drive air bags were good.(I replaced all)  Bob
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:06:11 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

That is a fire I wouldn't expect. You would think it would have been at least smoking when he parked it in order to turn into a fire like that. If he didn't walk by it when he went into the house it could have been smoldering and he just didn't notice. I rememeber my 4104 front right brake cam'd over. Up until that point the brakes never worked that well, but I didn't know any better. I did notice a loss of power and the wheel did get hot, even though I only drove it for a couple of miles like that.

After that I would always check the wheel temps after I drove it just incase a bearing was going bad or a brake was sticking. I think knowledge, such as what happened to the Prevost you puchased is invaluable to a newcomer to busin (or anyone that never experienced it).

Thank you for sharing the information.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
blank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »

Possible the tire was already hot, and when it stopped additional heat from the drum or wheel soaked in and pushed it over the ignition point. I dont do it every time, but I have the habit of walking around most every time I stop, touching the tread and visually looking at all the tires, and touching the hubs feeling for heat. More than once Ive caught a failure in the making, and was able to fix it before it turned into something ugly. A nail in a tire, caught before it goes flat, can save a lot of grief.

This is a prime example of the need for a dash mounted tire monitor system. It would have warned the tire was overheated long before it got hot enough to burn, not only preventing the fire, but saving the Bus itself. Of course it would also prevented Bob from getting a sweet deal.  Grin
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »

A quick walk around is always a good idea post trip.  If nothing else use your nose.  You can smell hot brakes or hot grease.  Often your nose will tell you before your eyes.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »

Small World: Got message from previous owner (at fire time) to give him a call.  Have never talked to him direct. Only to insurance guy and others repeating story. Will ask him if it is ok to share from the horses mouth facts.    Bob

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »

Was given bad info from others in volved.  Looked for something that was not there. Be aware it can and does happen and is a probable cause of most rear tire fires--Brake---please see new post.  Great day when you get set straight.   lesson of the day    Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: