Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 05:42:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1983 Prevost Pictures  (Read 4194 times)
natepelton

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

This is the bus I'm going to pick up next week. Please look over the pictures and let me know what you think. I have posted the pics at a site where I will be documenting the progress of the bus. I am converting it to be a mobile rafting base for whitewater trips. http://www.raftbus.com
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
mugsytrpt

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

Nate,

Check messages. If thats the company just be careful.  Not a great track record.

1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New Kohler 23.5kw genset April 2013
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:01 AM »

Nate,

I hope you are getting it for a really good price. IMHO, it looks pretty rough. I would want to start over with most of the stuff, because it doesn't look like it was built too well.

But that is just MHO, and from pics.

FWIW

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »

I hope you are getting it for a really good price. IMHO, it looks pretty rough. I would want to start over with most of the stuff, because it doesn't look like it was built too well. But that is just MHO, and from pics.
John

Well I'm not sure what a really good price is, but I pretty much consider it buying a shell with a bunch of parts to rearrange. I guess I was more curious about exterior thoughts than interior.
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »

Nate, looking at your other posts, it looks like this is the bus in NM. 

I can't tell if you have purchased the bus or not.  If you have, then our comments are too late.  If not, I can't stress strongly enough that you MUST have a knowledgeable person look at the bus with with.  I think you have been given several names from the Albuquerque area and any one of them can give you a second set of eyes.

If we discount the interior (really not much value since they don't show any type of generator or inverter), then you need to base your purchase price on the shell and engine/transmission.  The shell seems to be just OK.  I can't tell what they did to the side or front windows, but it looks like they were trying to seal up some pretty bad leaks.

The engine is an 8V-71 from the looks of it.  That is an OK engine but does not have the benefit of a turbo.  You should have someone help you check the condition of the engine and transmission.  You have a long way to go and we have had several recent stories where the purchaser did not properly inspect the bus (easy to second guess).

As the risk of offending you, the bus is probably in the under $10K value.  Depending on the inspection, it could be worth little more that scrap value. 

You have lots of help here and a ton of opinions.  My opinion (free - maybe what it is worth) is that this is one you need to be very careful of.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »

I have agreed to purchase the bus as long as it is as described, which is as a solid, good running bus. I have a deposit down right now.

The upper exterior needs paint. Some of the side windows were covered with tin that the PO didn't like, so he pulled it off and I guess the PPO used some really strong glue. There are no leaks.

As for the generator situation - it is wired up to be run on shore or generator (not purchased yet). There are 3 roof A/C's installed in good shape. Everything is wired to the control panel area near the bunks, next to the water heater.

I certainly would like another set of (more knowledgeable) eyes look at the bus with me...anyone free in Albuquerque on Mon 1/30? I would also like to add I'm not a total newb. This will be my first coach, but I owned a Class C motorhome for 2 years full-timing, a Class A diesel Monaco Dynasty full-timing for 5 years, and have since owned two school buses and an Orion transit. So don't be too scared for me, but I don't know much about engines and transmissions.

It is a manual with an 8v71, not the naturally-aspirating one, but the other, I think it's called super-charged? It does have all of the maintenance logs and the manuals so that's good. You'd think if there was something bad in there the PO would just say there's no logs...

As far as I know the bus' history is this:

Charter Coach (unknown location) > Country Band Bus (near Chicago) > Racing Team in NM > Me

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »

Nate,

Please don't take offense, but just your comment on it being a supercharged engine tells me that you are woefully lacking in knowledge about Detroit Diesels.

The bus was a low dollar conversion entertainer and they are notoriously known for being "rode hard and put up wet".  To me, that bus just screams "Be Careful, be very, very careful.".

I agree, it has to be well south of $10k to even warrant a serious look.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »

Nate,

To be sure, I know you are looking at just a shell. I was just throwing out the other, as something to think about.

To me, from what pics I can see, it doesn't look like it has been maintained well. To me, it looks like it could use some mechanical help, but that is just me. Maybe it is in top shape, I don't know. Just be careful!

FWIW

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »

His main concern on that model of Prevost is rust yes Virgina they do rust (bad)

Life is short drink the good wine first
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »

The owner told me there are no rust issues and no rot issues above the rear wheel wells or anywhere else. If there are, well that will be a problem.

Who said anything about Virginia?

I appreciate the feedback, but please be more specific than "I'd be very careful..." - that isn't very constructive...

-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »

Nat, on the 8v71 check the air box drains a 1/4 tube on each side if they are in a catch can remove the 2 if you are getting a bunch of oil and it doesn't stop do be careful.

Me I would spend a few bucks and go to Stewart and Stevenson and let Tom give the all clear on the engine or give him a call he may know the bus nice guy fwiw you can pump 10,000 into to a rebuild on a 8v71

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

I will check the air box drains.

I called Stewart and Stephenson and left a message for Tom. Maybe I'll just have the guy meet me at their location with the bus. Or better yet, have him bring the bus there before I arrive.

Thank you.
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

The owner told me there are no rust issues and no rot issues above the rear wheel wells or anywhere else. If there are, well that will be a problem.

Who said anything about Virginia?

I appreciate the feedback, but please be more specific than "I'd be very careful..." - that isn't very constructive...

-Nate

By "be careful", I mean specifically have it inspected by someone who know Detriots, Allisons, and Prevosts.  That may not be the same person.

It takes someone who knows just where to look for rust issues.  Most of it is not visible.

I don't know about Prevosts but do have some experience with Eagles.

One thing you can try is to walk along the sides of the bus and slap it as hard as you can with the flat of your hand, right on a rib and between the window line and the floor.  Then listen very carefully for the tinkling sound of falling rust flakes.  That's no guarantee that it is good, but if you hear the rust falling it is a guarantee that you will have a lot of reconstruction to do.

Entertainers and church buses both scare me.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:56 AM »

The warning bells are ringing LOUDLY.

Why wouldn't all that mess between the windows have been cleaned up?

As a buyer, I would assume:

Because the coach is not worth to the seller even spending those few dollars on it to freshen up the appearance for sale.

It been repossessed or otherwise returned to someone from some else who made this mess?

Someone is upside down on this coach, hoping to recover some of what they have already lost.

They have  found something that makes continuing with it a bad idea. That something will destroy your bus budget, make you and whoever else you have dragged into this very sad and mad, and at you, or yourself, after you are stuck with it.

Maintenance logs will state it had an oil change, who cares? Until those logs are seen and whatever contents is understood, assume worthless.

New roof airs are under $600, those ones on there are now used, installed by unknown entity using unknown methods. Next to worthless in the buyers view.

Most/all of that interior needs to be re-worked or removed. More worthless.

beware of the inappropriate words used by a salesman...

If the seller used the word supercharger in relation to the 8V71, he's either just as uninformed as you, or is full of something unpleasant. A 2-stroke detroit can't run without that blower, it isn't for power, it is used to force air into the cylinders, from the bottom, as there is no vacuum from a downward traveling piston to suck in a fresh charge.
It is called a blower, the hot rodders with gasoline engines stole them and called them superchargers...for whatever fool you, macho, inadequacy compensating, marketing purposes.

And then there's the eight $600 each tires.

That coach is at best, an old shell, 29 years old, old shell.
Price starts at scrap value, and only inches upward as the coach EARNS it.

A quick check of the internet will give you a much younger shell that has been traded in for the same money.

Yes, go look at the coach, but be sure that your head goes for the trip as well as your heart, and you will be fine!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »

Well I'm not sure what a really good price is, but I pretty much consider it buying a shell with a bunch of parts to rearrange. I guess I was more curious about exterior thoughts than interior.
-Nate

I think we all assume a lot of our labor is free, so the tear out is not any real consideration of value. While you get to keep the goodies, you also get to pay for the trash bill and band-aids. So consider its an empty shell, and none of the crap that comes with it is worth enough to alter its value.

Too, I think a lot of people get excited when they see the name Prevost, I don't. I just see another Bus. Its got a Bus engine with Bus brakes and Bus suspension. So unless your a Prevo guy, value it like its an MC9 shell, because really, thats all its worth. To me its worth even less than an MC9, because used MC9 parts are readily available everywhere and are very inexpensive, by comparison with any other Bus, make or model.

All that said, I see a big intake hose going into the top of the engine. I do not see a Turbo. If you can see one somewhere, its supercharged. If not, its NA. I don't think it would make enough difference to change the Bus value, though it could make it more saleable. But lets say its worth $500 more with a turbo just to add some fairness.

I see a Bus worth $5K max if its turbo'd, and only provided it has nothing glaringly wrong with it. Truthfully, I doubt any Commercial operator would pay that or likely even want it, most would put it out to pasture for scrap. Its only us Bus junkies that will crawl through broken glass to pay more than scrap for for an old Bus. And these Bus sales outfits know were out there with cash burning a hole in our pockets.

If you're going to pay more than $2500, which is scrap value, you should strongly consider paying someone knowledgeable and competent (they are two completely separate things) $3-500 or more to go over it for you and make sure its up to snuff, checking engine, drive-line, steering, brakes and electrical. Take it to a DD shop or whoever guys here most HIGHLY recommend. If it fails your only out the $300 or whatever, or at least will know what you have and are dealing with. That will be a small pittance compared to what you could lose not spending it. Far too many here have bought a Bus and not even been able to get it home, without stopping along the way for major engine work, it happens more than we maybe want to admit. You can pay a little now and be more confident, or pay a lot later. And here is something else to consider. If the seller wont allow you to take it somewhere for an inspection, or at least agree to take it there themselves if you buy the fuel, they are hiding something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: