Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 03:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1983 Prevost Pictures  (Read 4518 times)
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »

It is called a blower, the hot rodders with gasoline engines stole them and called them superchargers...
buswarrior

Well that makes sense he is a race car guy.

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »

If he is into cars give Jim Smith a call he will know the owner Smith's Ultimate Linning Alb NM

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »

Just got off the phone with a coach company in Albuquerque and for $250 they are willing to drive the 25 miles each way to the bus and check over all the major stuff for me. They are very familiar with Prevosts and they currently have a shell for sale on their lot.

I'm waiting to hear back from the owner that this is OK.

I trust someone until they give me a reason not to.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:43:42 PM by natepelton » Logged

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
blank

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »

I trust someone until they give me a reason not to.

Against my parents long spoken advice I have tried to do the same. And with few exceptions I have found their philosophy to be right more times than wrong. People are almost always honest about the obvious. Yup, yup, that shore is a flat tire. When it comes to pride or money however, things far too often flip to their side of the coin.

When it comes to machines, trust no one but the machine itself. Machines don't lie, people do. Your told an engine was rebuilt 100 miles ago, but the cylinders are scored and there is oil around the piston crowns, who's telling the truth, the seller, or the engine? Your told the tires are fairly new, but you see checking along the edge of the rim. Who's telling the truth, the seller, or the tires?

Best one I saw was an 1987 Jeep Wagoneer, last of the big ones. It looked like it had fresh sprayed rocker panels so I got down to look. I saw what looked like tape lines in the paint on the rockers, only the paint was "over" the lines. I touched the rocker with a finger and found it was actually tape. They put tape over big rust holes. holes larger than your fist, and painted over the tape with rocker paint trying to hide it. I was just standing up, shaking my head when this salesman walks up, beaming, asking if im interested. I said you put tape over the rust holes and painted over it? Yup, looks pretty good dont it? I bit my tongue and left.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »

The owner has agreed to meet for an inspection on Saturday and we'll go from there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:44:08 PM by natepelton » Logged

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »

Nate, I have no idea what the selling price is.....but I will say if its more than $3,000 head for the door and fast (that price still could be high).  LeMirage is probably the most expensive bus out there to convert.  most of what I see in these photo's are Junk! 

Not actually knowning what you're intentions are and the level you plan to convert at is  the unknown.  When I say you could spend 10,000 to what ever you make for the next 8 or 9 years, on a conversion is not stretching the truth.

You can say this bus has a minium of a million miles on it!  Prevosts do rust especially that old of a bus......most of the rusting comes from the AC lines run on the inside walls of the bus......not road conditions, most road condition rust will be on the front end around the drivers floor area!  Prevost parts are expensive, (window's especially), I will say that Prevost Parts was great when I needed something, they always had it.  On a couple of items like a radiator they had and it was extremely underpriced from what I had priced on line, and they even included shipping!  So you never actually know how the prices will run! 

I've worked for the last 7 years converting my bus (82 LeMirage), I've had good days and bad days, I just went through another period where selling it was the topic, but I weathered that  Grin and I'm back working again!   Yes I'm slow but slow work takes time!!!!   Look, don't be afraid to insult this guy, afterall its your money!  Detroit Diesels are expensive to run, expensive to take care of, and expensive to replace!  My recommendation is to take an oil sample and send it off for evaluation.

I can think of 20 reasons not to buy a bus this old, and only 1 reason to buy a bus like this......and that just flew out the window!   Are you mechanically inclined, are you a carpenter, plumber, electrician, do you have the tools needed to do this?

All that said, good luck and I wish you well!   

If you think I'm kidding about this check this site out......my bus from the start to where I am now!

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »

Nate, please understand that most of us are playing devil's advocate to some degree. 

That said, those of us who have been around buses for a decade or more have something like a woman's intuition.  Many of us are getting bad vibes.  Some of the comments may seem a bit negative towards you.  I think that for whatever reason, your replies suggest that you are ignoring some good advice.  None of us expect you to follow lock-step with our recommendations, but it does seem that you may have dismissed most of the advice.  Some of us are reacting like we would with our kids who don't seem to want to listen to our wonderful thoughts/advice Cheesy Grin Shocked

I am glad that you are having someone look at the bus, but I am a bit uneasy about the choice.  The person has a vested interest since he has a shell for sale.

Clifford has given you some good folks in Albuquerque who are bus folks with a lot of experience.  Their only vested interest would be to give you an honest answer.

If you do have the coach company do the inspection, you should ***REQUIRE*** that they document their findings with pictures.  If nothing else, that will put them on notice that you want a FORMAL evaluation.

Also understand that you have a huge audience here that will help you in your quest to find a bus that has decent value if this one does not work out.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »

I just try to help Jim he can take it or leave I hate to see people like Kevin that bought the model 10 on the EI board and the engine blew before he made it home now Joel tells him he needs a new engine sad it really is when that happens

I wish him the best seems like he taking a little advice but he has the heart set on that bus and it may work out for him

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »

Love is blind Fellas Shocked, it's what makes us all busnuts Wink. "I once was blind, but now I see" I am bus nuts Grin! Nate, I see potential, git er checked out, if all ok, only you will know if the price is right after you see it in person. Good luck and all the best!  Smiley Smiley

Welcome to the Forum Wink Grin

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

Love is blind Fellas Shocked, it's what makes us all busnuts

When I was younger more than once I went to bed with a 10 and woke up with a bow-wow.  No need to repeat that experience with a bus.  Lots of good advice in this thread. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »

Nate: been pretty quiet and observing here.  If your intent is a economy build. Total value under $12,000 when finished. Using what you get with bus plus what you have to buy. That's probably the end market if you do a good job for that year coach with the engine transmission combo. Limited market for resale. Other major expenses to purchase include gen set. Those 3 roof airs will eat up minimum 60 amps on start up and 45 plus running--plus you have elect hot water heater and rest of your electric needs. Probably looking at 12Kw Gen set maybe less with some power management.  If your lucky $5,000.  maybe used $3000.   It is easy to put Big Dollars in a bus and exceed any possible chance of recovering your cost. If cost of operation for your business is a concern. A 4 stroke engine would probably be a better choice and more people are around to work on them. If you love the bus and it's the one go for it because $ are not the main consideration here.   Best wishes.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

I am converting it to be a mobile rafting base for whitewater trips.

does this mean that your going to move it once a year and park it for the season ? like a metal water shedding tent with a desk and a cell phone?
Maybe a couple of bunks?
I am not reading that this coach is gonna see 10K miles a year and be tuck and rolled with turkish camel leather...
heck i don't see 1000 miles a year....
my only thought is that you should be able to find same closer to home.....
Good luck any which way you go.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

I know it sounds like we are all being negative, but it's just the voices of some sad experiences offering advice.

Now, I am going to throw another big monkey wrench into the gears.  If you are going to use a bus in ANY kind of commercial capacity, if it's going to be registered to the business, or have the company name on it etc., then you will be subject to all kinds of grief. Commercial registration, insurance, CDL requirements for drivers, DOT inspections, and on and on.  If you are going to carry commercial passengers, it gets worse.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »

I know it sounds like we are all being negative, but it's just the voices of some sad experiences offering advice.

Now, I am going to throw another big monkey wrench into the gears.  If you are going to use a bus in ANY kind of commercial capacity, if it's going to be registered to the business, or have the company name on it etc., then you will be subject to all kinds of grief. Commercial registration, insurance, CDL requirements for drivers, DOT inspections, and on and on.  If you are going to carry commercial passengers, it gets worse.

I operate buses for the business currently and have everything in order. I have a Class B CDL. NYS doesn't require a DOT inspection for our use. I won't be carrying passengers on this bus, but I do on the others.

In an average year I see this bus driving to Idaho in May, returning to NY in July, driving to AZ in November, returning to NY in December. Maybe an occasional trip to a music festival, but other than that it will be parked in my driveway, being worked on the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:23:07 AM by natepelton » Logged

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: