Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 12:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1983 Prevost Pictures  (Read 4520 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »

What part of Idaho Nate we have a place at Garden Valley/Banks on the Payette river I see rafters go buy by along with the kayaks groups

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

What part of Idaho Nate we have a place at Garden Valley/Banks on the Payette river I see rafters go buy by along with the kayaks groups
good luck

I'll be on the Lochsa River, about 90 minutes SW of Missoula, MT on US Highway 12. We have run a few sections of the Payettes though. We did the Old Swirly Canyon and Staircase Sections of the South Fork Payette and the Cabarton Section of the North Fork.
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »

Back home with the new bus and couldn't be happier. The mechanic from Herrera Coach in Albuquerque canceled the appointment for inspection and left the PO hanging in the desert at the bus for 4 hours. I decided I would just inspect the bus myself when I got out there. Flew from Albany, NY early on Mon 1/30 and was at the bus by 1pm. Crawled all around underneath and through the bus. It looks great. Stayed with friends in Santa Fe Mon night and was rolling East in the bus by noon on Tues. Made 700 miles/day for three days, home at 12:00 noon on Friday.

I shut the bus down once per day the first two days where it was warm enough I wasn't worried about it restarting. The third night I let it run all night (on high idle - is that what I want to do?). Seems I got 9.03 mpg over 2100 miles. I averaged 55-60 mph most of the way. Whenever stopped I checked the fluids. The oil in the sight tube dropped about 0.5 cm over the entire trip. I didn't add any oil. I did carry oil, but couldn't find straight 40w at any of the truck stops, so was going to use 15w-40 if needed. The water temp on the dash rose to 160 degrees (not sure if F or C) and did not budge up or down once warmed up. I know the speedometer is not accurate because I had my GPS speed. The tach is in the same gauge (along with the clock) - can I assume this is off as well?

The manual transmission took some getting used to. What helped the most was reading the shifting article in the articles section at busnut.com. Once I read the proper technique, and a little practice, I was shifting right up through every gear with no grinding. Patience is a virtue. I even got to downshift 5th>4th, but haven't got that in the lower gears yet. It's a 6-speed+R manual and 4th tops out at 55mph, so I ran in 5th. From all the turbo talk I thought I was going to be a little disappointed in the power of the 8v71, but it is a beast with plenty of power. I'm never in a hurry in a bus anyway. There was no grade all the way home where I had to get out of 5th gear or dropped below 50mph. The interchanges got me a couple times though...

I found three locations with rust. The old bathroom holding tank is all rusted and I will cut that out. Above the rear passenger side wheels, the plywood was as solid as the day installed, but the one floor support of steel is rusted. In the same area, the chassis is bubbling under the undercoating - an area about 4" x 4" - facing the outside of the vehicle. I will cut those out and replace. And then there is some bubbling around the bottom of the lower windshield. The worst of it is the old holding tank which is being removed.

I am basically starting over on the interior. I like how the drivers area has a full wall behind it. Need to expand the front lounge and kitchen and move the bathroom between the kitchen and rear bedroom. Might leave two of the 6 bunks. Also plan to remove and patch some of the holes that have been cut in the roof for various vents.

The front tires are about 70%, drives at 40%, and tags are BALD. I lifted the tag whenever fueling and making tight turns so as not to make them worse. Thinking for now I'll move the fronts to the tag axle and buy brand new pair for the front. They are the same size. I was also thinking of buying some aluminum wheels and I think they might take a different size tire so I'll have to look into that.

Overall I am very happy with the bus and can't wait to learn everything about it. Tentative first mission in the bus is to Arizona in November for a Grand Canyon rafting trip. Can't wait to get back on the road!

If I were to give advice to an aspiring bus owner I would say go check the bus out, but really check the owner out - he knows way more about the bus than you will be able to see upon inspection - if you trust him, you can trust the bus.

-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »

Nate: Good report.  Shop for used tires . Be surprised what is out there  just a few years old with many miles left on them. That we would never wear out before they age out. I recently found a bunch of 75% tires 3 yrs old for $200 each. Brand name. Ask questions and enjoy the ride.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »

Overall I am very happy with the bus and can't wait to learn everything about it. Tentative first mission in the bus is to Arizona in November for a Grand Canyon rafting trip. Can't wait to get back on the road!

If I were to give advice to an aspiring bus owner I would say go check the bus out, but really check the owner out - he knows way more about the bus than you will be able to see upon inspection - if you trust him, you can trust the bus.

-Nate

Congrat's on your new BUS! Sounds like you got what you wanted. I agree with your statement above, about trusting the previous owner. That's how I purchased mine. I knew and trusted the previous owner.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

Thanks for the updates --- Glad it all went well

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »

Nate, like others, I am so glad that your trip went well.  Good thing you did not try to take the 1 70 route Shocked

Whenever stopped I checked the fluids. The oil in the sight tube dropped about 0.5 cm over the entire trip. I didn't add any oil.

I am a little surprised that someone did not question your statement.  First, it would be very unusual not to use a gallon or two of oil in the 2K miles - even with a good engine.  Next, I think the sight glass is for the oil reservoir that holds oil to be used to fill the crankcase when the dipstick shows that the oil level is low.  To the best of my knowledge (limited in the area), you have to open a valve to let the oil flow from the reservoir to the pan.

If indeed the oil level in the pan did not change, I would check to make sure that there is not a leak in one or more of the injector fuel tubes that is letting diesel into the pan.  For sure, I would take an oil sample - not just for the diesel, but to get a bench mark.

I have to say that many of us with uneasy feelings about the bus made too big of a point of the quality of the bus.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »

Quote from: rv_safetyman
Nate, like others, I am so glad that your trip went well.  Good thing you did not try to take the 1 70 route Shocked

Quote from: nate
Whenever stopped I checked the fluids. The oil in the sight tube dropped about 0.5 cm over the entire trip. I didn't add any oil.

Quote from: rv_safetyman
I am a little surprised that someone did not question your statement.  First, it would be very unusual not to use a gallon or two of oil in the 2K miles - even with a good engine.  Next, I think the sight glass is for the oil reservoir that holds oil to be used to fill the crankcase when the dipstick shows that the oil level is low.  To the best of my knowledge (limited in the area), you have to open a valve to let the oil flow from the reservoir to the pan.

Jim

Jim,
I did in fact make the same observation as you on the oil level "in sight glass" comment and you just beat me too it.

I have not followed this thread and just read it for the first time this AM. (I've not been on the board near as much as usual between lack of time & computer problems)

Nate you need to find the dipstick and pull it. There is no "sight glass" for checking engine oil that I know of on a BUS.

The sight glass you are refering too is either like Jim said and is an oil reservoir for adding oil, or the power steering reservoir.

I am happy to hear it checked out well and the trip home was pleasant too!

Way too often we hear the opposite results.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »

Jim, the new DD liners, piston and rings they are selling now are so close on tolerance it has cut the oil consumption way down on the 2 strokes a few years back you could overhaul one and come out the gate wide open they were so loose not that way now 1 gal in 5000 miles is about normal it's about the same as a 60 series.

The aftermarket guys which I don't use are still behind except Fairchilds kits they are as close in tolerance as a DD kit just thought you would like to know the sight glass is for the reservoir you need to check with the dip stick then open the valve to put the oil in it holds 2 gals

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »

Grin Enjoy the thought;oil that is .  I keep my tank full on the 89 and when checking oil it should be checked stopped for about 20 minutes.  My 2 stroke runs about 1/2 way between full and add as a sweet spot where it doesn't use oil.  Needs a little it just takes a turn of the valve and you can add.  Shut off valve early and recheck after a couple minutes or you could over fill and the engine will just push extra out.    Bob

natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »

OK, I will have to check on that. I didn't know it was a manual valve to let new oil in from the reservoir. Maybe it was left open? It did drip a bit every time I stopped. When I shut the engine down (nights 1 and 2) I did check the dipstick levels before heading out in the AM. I'll check on the valve and levels today and post my findings.
Thanks-
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »

Nate: if it doesn't use oil or little enjoy!!! and I mean that.  Sometimes I run a  1000 miles and not a drop of usage then again a 1000 and a gallon.  No rime or reason;or at least worth exploring in the big picture.  your bus parked a foot off level can change the reading on the stick.  If I seem to be talking down to you I'm sorry It is not meant to be. Have  no way of knowing where your 2 stroke/prevost education experience is at.  I learn something new every day!   Bob

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »

Check the weather Bob 2 strokes don't use much oil in colder weather check that out sometime when your engine temp is running around 175 degrees all day long get one up around 200 they will use oil and they love clean oil will not hardy use any while clean

good luck
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:52:36 AM by luvrbus » Logged

natepelton

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »

Bob-
My 2-stroke/Prevost education is pretty minimal right now. I owned a Cummins for 5 years and currently own a Series 50 in my transit bus used for the company. So I have some basic diesel knowledge, and 7 years of full-timing (in upstate NY cold) RV knowledge. I am eager to learn and appreciate all the comments and info. I came to this board for info and if I make a couple friends that's a bonus. I spend a lot of time communicating via email and know how things can come across harsh or whatever. Don't worry about it, you have been very welcoming.
If I make mistakes I want to know about it!
Thanks-
-Nate

Nate Pelton
1983 Prevost LeMirage
North Creek, NY
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

Excellent report, and just goes to show what seeing a coach in person versus pictures can accomplish!

Don't worry about running it all night on fast idle. Won't be the first time, may not be the last. You'd like to install systems to avoid burning all that fuel just to stay warm inside, and to have a method for block heating. But that comes as it comes.

If that is an "oil reservoir" with a site glass that you have, be careful you don't go dumping it into the oil pan and overfilling.
The reservoir was ordered by some fleets in order to control costs. Loose gallon jugs of oil get stolen by employees, and roll around in the bays making a mess of customer luggage. The reservoir would be filled at the shop from the bulk oil when the coach is being serviced. The engine does not return any oil to that storage container, it's only purpose is to carry and dump fresh oil into the oil pan, instead of using separate jugs.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: