Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, We landed a deal on laminate flooring now we need oppinions  (Read 1987 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »

Ok, Jan landed a sweet deal on some premium laminate flooring for our coach (see picture and factory text included here), now the big question is what direction to install the flooring. The are three ways that I can think of:

1: Linear front to back (The long seams would run the length of the bus)
2: Linear side to side  (The long seams would run side to side)
3: 45 degree angle side to side ( Long seams would run at a 45 degree angle from the side walls.)

Are there any thoughts as to which would be the best way?

Picture:

Here's the text from the factory:

Alloc Domestic flooring is installed without using glue or nails. The planks join with a simple click. The newly developed aluminum locking system makes it possible to install Alloc Domestic twice as fast as laminate flooring requiring glue and can be used immediately. Alloc Domesticís locking system ensures tight, durable seams - we guarantee it. This patented aluminum locking system provides a strong, tight hold of up to 850 lbs. per lineal foot.

Recommended areas:

Alloc flooring is suitable for interior residential applications. Recommended applications or installations include kitchens, family rooms, living rooms, dining rooms, foyers, hallways, bedrooms, game rooms, bathrooms and recreation rooms.
Alloc is not recommended for installation in rooms with in-floor drainage, commercial kitchens, or similar areas.

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:04 AM »

Long way is what you would expect and would look "normal", which ain't bad.  It would probably be the most efficient use of pieces, too.  I think on an angle would look nice but I would use a 30 degree or so angle, not the obvious 45 degrees, for some reason I think having it laid out closer to longitudinal would look nicer.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »

Lenghtwise would be my way. It is layed out lenghtwise front to back in our bus and looks fine. In diagonal would look too, er... artsy to me. And across wouldn't look right. But, it is mostly a matter of personal taste,

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »

Don't forget the visual effect too - putting the planks lengthways will visually accentuate the long, thin nature of the bus interior, whereas running them across the width  will fool the eye into thinking the interior is shorter and wider.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »

Artsy? LOL that's a first!

Put in front to back and then invite your friends over for some in house bowling! Put side to side and it will make your bus look very small or smaller than it is. I opt for a 45 degree angle and if you do it any less angle or even more your going to run into problems during the install! On a 45 you may use more material but a lot if the waste can be utilized where other angles you may not be so lucky!
Just my professional opinion but do what suits you and yours!
Also take a look at what all the newer coaches are doing!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:15 AM »

I like the 45 angle install makes a bus look more open and wider

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

We are about to embark on the very same project. We are looking at the Brazilian cherry. My plan is to run the planks length wise. The 45 degree angle would look cool, but I am not a floor layer.

Good luck.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
blank

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »

Why not lay some out on the floor at the various angles and stand back and look at it? Get the wife and kids and trusted friends opinions too. Opinions are great, but they are much more valuable when you have real physical information to help your decision making.

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »

long ways is the easiest, but a 45 would look good and be something you don't see every day in a bus. Which ever way you lay it, make sure and leave a small gap around the edges for expansion.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »

Paul is that a polite way to say his wife will make the decision works that way here lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »

Hey, the more the wife thinks its her Bus, the better, lol.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

You don't have to be a professional to lay it any way you choose but if you want it to easy get yourself a speed square! You will thank me later I'm sure!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »

You don't have to be a professional to lay it any way you choose but if you want it to easy get yourself a speed square! You will thank me later I'm sure!

I got one... lol. It don't know how to do 45's. I may explore the options of the 45... if it is as easy as you say. I don't have the artsy gene you and Clifford have  Wink. However, you got me to thinking.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

Yea same one I have and it takes a lot of thinking and measuring out of the equation IF you do a 45 install!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

Whatever you choose to do, I find that it's nifty to have a hot glue gun for the install, and put a small dab of the stuff on to each end of a plank prior to snapping it together.

This keeps all the pieces nicely in place over time and allows you to take the floor apart much easier than had you glued the whole thing with white glue... and because it solidifies so quickly, it keeps gaps from opening on prior pieces when you pound new gaps shut.  Makes the install go waaay smoother, at least for me...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:04:22 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: