Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:10:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing trailer can i use a converter from a car  (Read 982 times)
glenn
Glenn & Sharon

mci 9

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »

bus is
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »

as bus does    Shocked)

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »

.....MC9?   If you are referring to the tail-light converter, the answer is nope....car converters are 12V...bus is 24V.  
Craig Shepard and Jack Conrad both have built their own 24 to 12V converters.  I wired my Jeep with an additional set of 24V lights.   Works fine, but not ideal.   Very inexpensive solution.  
Good Luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
glenn
Glenn & Sharon

mci 9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »

can you make it work i have 24 v bulb
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »

If you add 2, 24V dual filament  bulbs on each side of the toad, all you have to do is sort out the brake, turn, and tailight filaments and wire them directly to your bus brake, turn and taillights.  They are not wired like a boat trailer.  Use one wire for tail, one wire for brakes, and two wires each for LH and RH turn, and a secure ground wire.  Total of 5 leads to the rear of the toad.   RV plug on both the toad and coach so that the pigtail can be removed when not needed. 
These tailights are NOT the toad taillights...they are lights that you must add to the rear of the toad.  DON"T wire the bus into your toad OEM wiring system or lighting system.  That will be bad for the toad electrical system. 
Get some local help with this if you have any doubts....and remember that the bus system is 24V (with exception of the headlights, and that's another complicated issue).

Good Luck, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:43:49 PM »

If you are going to all that trouble, Just make up your own lightbar with 24 volt bulbs
and a long feeder wire for draping from the back of the toad to the bus.

Or spend the $35 and make up a 24 to 12 volt relay system which will combine the turn and tails
together so any trailer type lights can be used. ( get 25 feet of trailer wire too ! )

I have a set of LED trailer lights wired up with clamps on each light that I move around as needed.

The only extra wire you will need is a 12 volt tap (wire) running to the back of the bus to feed the relays.

Dave.....

It's so complicated you only need to do it One Time..... Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: