Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 02:02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for a 35 footer  (Read 4829 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »

I'm with you, DonandCary...   Grin

Chuck actually sent me a link to the ad for one bus he is considering - an MC-5C - since he noticed that I own one.  I spent a half hour or more pouring over the ad and the pictures, detailed pictures of every area of the bus.  I hope he decides to share the link here - since it's his link and a bus that he is considering, I don't feel like I have the right to post it.  But - I gave him my thoughts, and it sure looks like a good bus from the shots!  Unique, sure looks like a well done pro conversion, absolutely love the engine install, the interior is beautiful, the bay work is spotless, if it shows as well in the steel as it does on the screen it's worth every penny of the asking price, in my opinion.  It would take easily twice the asking price to duplicate.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »

great post. and you are right, that is what a major portion of this BB should be about. I have converted 5 of my own, and worked on several more, and there is so much information here that it has helped me greatly.

I would hate to have to post my stupid mistakes... boards i have cut too short, etc...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

If you're planning to invest in a bus with the idea of making a profit when you sell it you may not be too wise. The best plan is to spend a few more bucks for a quality conversion and save a lot of money and frustration. If you look on it as a fun project with which you plan to get your money back from enjoyment, you are probably on the right track.

From the many stories on this board you can see that a conversion seldom pays for itself strictly in dollars. The payback in fun/therapy is a different thing altogether!

There is not a large market for bus conversions out there so you are pretty much limited to nuts like us, and we are all cheap so you can't make a profit from us!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »

Wasn't the MCI MC5C the last of the 35 footers?
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

There is no way to make a profit on a bus conversion,  or any other rv for that matter.  You will not even get close to your investment back.

Writing off all our labor, we do expect to get a reasonable amount of our investment back with depreciation figured into it.  There isn't any way to recoup the hours you spent.  That is the hobby, therapy, part.  We enjoy the projects.  

When we purchased the Eagle,  the owner said right out,  he would put a match to it and toast marshmellows before he would give it away. I agree with him.  There is a reasonable price for anything.  Unless you really do enjoy working on them and expect to spend a lot of money while you are at it.  Buy one that has all those things you want in it.

The technomads bought a real cheap bus and got a good buy.  They have also put more than the purchase price into it to make it the way they needed it and plan on more upgrades. They were looking for a very unique bus set up in a unique way.  They were never going to find that on the market.  When complete they will no longer have a cheap bus.  It made sense how they did their purchase.  

Again,  you get exactly what you pay for.  Pay all at once or over time,  it will end up the same for a good dependable conversion.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
1966 GM 4107
Neoplan AN 340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
blank

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »

Writing off all our labor, we do expect to get a reasonable amount of our investment back with depreciation figured into it.  There isn't any way to recoup the hours you spent.  That is the hobby, therapy, part.  

Again,  you get exactly what you pay for.  Pay all at once or over time,  it will end up the same for a good dependable conversion.

Don and Cary

This old Bounder cost $85K new. The other ones we owned were similar. Thats a lot of money in depreciation and payments to nowhere down the drain. While I never bought a new one, my Uncle bought four new S&S Class A's. And lost his butt on everyone of them and then some.

I have always had the feeling the Bus Conversion crowd were looking for that magical place where you can have it all without breaking the bank. Best ride, safety, and quality, with the longest lifespan and durability.

Probably the best advice is to admit your not a heavy diesel mechanic and pay someone to check it out. It could be the best money youll ever spend on that Bus, whether you buy it or not. $50K isnt a bad price to pay for any Bus conversion, of any age, that checks out to have up to date brakes and mechanicals and good interior construction and looks good all the way round. You have to weigh the whole "package". 
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »

I like the direction this thread is taking!  I've emailed some of you directly and I greatly appreciate the thoughtful advice and suggestions, particularly from Brian and Cary & Don. 

From the Forum Rules, it looks like I can't post the actual ad for the MC-5C that I'm considering since it's still for sale; is that correct?  But y'all could certainly find a certain 1979 MCI-5C with a 6V92T and a custom paint job for sale if you really wanted to, right?  Wink

It's a much newer rig than those I was originally looking at.  I've been mainly checking out 4104s, 06, 07, 08 with occasionally wanderings into Flx land.  I particularly like the VL-100 but as the Technomads said, the parts are often made of unobtainium.  There aren't many MC-5Cs out there and finding a conversion in good shape w the features I wanted seemed unlikely til I stumbled across this one.  I do like the fact that so many MC8 & 9 parts are interchangeable w the 5 and since it's 10-20 years newer than many of the coaches I've been looking at, I figure she's got that many more years of good life in 'er.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for other possibilities, though, and I haven't found the owner of that 4107 in Chico yet.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »

Welcome aboard, Chuck. Glad to have you.

It is not against the board rules to post that add. Only if you were selling it, then that would be bending them a little.

Post away. Let's see what you are looking at.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »

I hope he posts it - the engine install is seriously cool, for me at least!  They put a MC9 engine bay in an MC-5C.  Raised the roof 8", and raised the engine bay the same.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »

Here ye be:
http://busesandmore.com/rvs/1979-MCI-MC5C-RV-Bus-Conversion.shtml
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

I don't know much about 5's, but I wouldn't hesitate to get that one. Looks like a sweet coach! Thumbs up from me.

FWIW

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »

That looks like a really good coach. Nice installation of the engine, with raised bedroom floor, with room for the turbo on top. I paid a lot more than that for mine a couple of years ago. It is a close comparable.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »

Wow. Thats an awful lot of rig for that kind of money.

As long as the engine and running gear check out and everything is up to snuff, thats a good deal IMHO.

I especially like the slide out shelfs, the pantograph doors, and the stainless steel paneling work in the systems bay. The longer I dont do anything, and the longer I collect pictures that give these awesome ideas, the neater this could work out.

That JD, is he the same guy who had the used Bus outfit in Ramsey off Hwy 10? They had a ton of 4106's on the south side of 10. They started hauling Buses out of there when they moved, I cant recall the year, but 4106's behind wreckers were going past our place up in Burns like crazy. Never did know where they took them all.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:22 AM »

You don't actually raise the floor of the bedroom, that can stay low.  What you raise is that shelf where the second access hatch is, and the upper shelf.  I just love the extra room, but in a seated bus the rear seat would be 8" too high!   Wink 

But - notice that the rear doors are taller to match, and that the radiator openings on both sides are higher as well.  The whole deal was done to make it the same as an MC-8 or 9.  They kept the blower fan belt but went to the longer MC-9 spec one (and that is a custom belt - MCI only - from what I found when I tried to buy one from my jobber).  Plus installed the MC-9 radiators.    Plus a custom engine cradle, since that isn't an MCI engine mount on the front.  The whole thing just smacks of a job done right, the details are the difference.  I can't imagine the amount of work to do that, but with the roof raise just the chassis/body work has to be in the hundreds of hours.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »

Yes that is a super neat job, now  a MC-5 in Texas, http://texas.freervshopper.com/rvs-parts/1979-mci-5c-bus-conversion.html.
  The Texas needs WORK, but that Minn. bus is a bargin, even if it may need something.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: