Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 14, 2014, 09:08:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for a 35 footer  (Read 4599 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »

I just showed the 5 to my wife and daughter, they both wondered why it was still for sale. If I had the coin, I would put a down on it with condition it passes a PPI. ASAP.
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »

I offered to put money down on it a while back, knowing I wouldn't be able to see it for a few weeks.  The owner graciously declined my offer saying,  "If you're that interested in it, then you're first in line.  If anyone else calls, they're second."  I'll see it in person on Feb. 17th and anticipate some funds will change hands that day.  Smiley
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »

Chuckdrum, Check beside spare tire for rust. Spare if there is one is under front bumper. My 5c had some there but not enough to worry about. Block under rear and check engine cradle to bulk head for cracks. Mine was and I fixed it. Look along side by triangle windows and towards rear for bulge in siding, push on siding by rivets to check for rust issues. Mine needed a little help there, but unless tearing apart not bad enough to worry about. Hope this helps.  Tom Y 

Tom Yaegle
blank

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »

The owner graciously declined my offer saying,  "If you're that interested in it, then you're first in line.  If anyone else calls, they're second." 

Now thats what you call customer service.
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »

to Tom-
Thanks for the suggestions on the rust exam.  Brian had very similar comments.  Both JD (at the MCI place in Minneapolis) and the owner claim there is no rust, but it's good to know the likely spots to check.  (don't they ALL have rust SOMEwhere?!?)  And I'll want to keep an I on that, as I intend to own this for quite a while.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

Not much you can do with the side walls unless stripping them. I know after I drove mine 1800 miles home I found loose bolts on the driveshaft, glad I made it home.  Tom

Tom Yaegle
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »

I would lean towards the F3500.  Reasons- number one it is a 102" wide bus-that extra 6" width is very noticable.  Two it uses a Cummins ISC, or ISL engine which is still being made-as compared to the obsolete Detroit 2 stroke engines (I know the 6V-53TA, 8V-71TA, and the 8V-92TA are still being made for the military, but try to find someone that knows how to work on them).  Plus the F3500 is taller then the 5 giving you more baggage room.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »

If you want to come to the east coast and get a real coach. Check on Dave Bullock's coach.

He passed away about a year ago and his wife is selling his coach.

It is a 1964  4106  with every thing documented that he did to the coach from the time he bought it till the last tank of fuel he bought.

It even has a bay of parts that any one might need.

It would be ready to go any where,even has almost a full tank of fuel.

For info on Dave and his wife go to  Southeast busnuts web site and look at the rosters.

Also check with Charlie Bukoski  President of the southeast busnuts.

uncle ned
HUGGY BEAR
4104   6v92 and v730

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »

I like that MCI F3500 too, but after looking at the photos again (second page of pics on his site), the pic of the dash shows engine RPMs at 900 or so, but no oil pressure? I suppose it could be a gauge issue?

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »

[I would lean towards the F3500.  Reasons- number one it is a 102" wide bus-that extra 6" width is very noticable.   TomC
[/quote]

Had to smile when I read that, TomC.  One reason I'm NOT so excited about the F3500 is because it's 6" wider!  Just that much more width to deal with driving down not-so-spacious roadways, parking lots, or on crowded freeways.  But, yeah, I'm sure it makes a big difference on the interior.  I seriously considered that F3500 down in GA because it was so much newer than everything else out there but I wasn't sold on the interior-- not the kind of look for me. 
blank

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »

When I first saw the F3500, my initial reaction was wow. But the more I looked at it the more I saw a simple and plain looking box. At least the older Buses have a little style and funkiness. Different strokes and all that, but I like the 5 over the F3500, and I prefer the A and B over the C
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »

Hey all,

I'm at 32,000 ft over Colorado, returning from my visit with Bob and Helen and their 1979 MCI5-C ( http://busesandmore.com/rvs/1979-MCI-MC5C-RV-Bus-Conversion.shtml).  The pictures don't lie.  This is a clean machine inside and out.  Bob has taken great care of it and added many personal and very practical touches.  I put my money down and will pick it up in April after they return to their MN home.  Right now, I might even be higher than 32,000 ft! Thanks, all of you, for your comments and suggestions as this thread went from a mystery 4107 in Chico, CA to an outstanding MC5-C at the tip of Florida.  I'm sure I'll come back to y'all with questions and mysteries as my 2nd bus life begins.

Coolest feature: power slideout step cover for the co-pilot seat.  Well, alright, there's some other cool features, too, but that's the one that the Mrs. will like.  Smiley

Peace,
Chuck
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »

Oh, I forgot to point out that Bob did much of the conversion himself after totally devouring BCM for about two years.  He bought the rig in 1993, learned how to weld, raised the roof 8", did essentially all the electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems, near as I can tell.  The engine and paint were done in Oregon and a friend of his did the professional quality cabinet work.  So nice to know that the owner is the one who transformed this passenger coach into such a comfortable home.  And I found out he purchased the shell from NW Bus Sales, about 5 miles from my home!

FYI, this was one of the Saudi MCIs.  Bob said it had an extra roof on it to shield against the desert heat and an oversized air filter to deal w the sand. The current roof is totally new with the conversion, and the entire power train and related systems have been replaced.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:05 AM »

Very cool! congratulations!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »

What does it have for power? I looked at alot of the Saudi buses, liked the double doors and extra roof insulation. Glad you found your bus. If i was buying a bus right now i would look hard at Jack Campbell's "Blue Goose" eagle.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: