Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 05:51:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof to Basement Air Project  (Read 1836 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »

Here are some pictures of my project to use two 15,000btu Penquin roof top airs in the basement.  Reason-Penguins are about $800.00 each, the same 14,000btu basement air is around $1,800.00.  So with two I'm saving $2,000.00.  The units are mounted on a plywood "table".  You can see the PVC pipe adapters for the condensate drains. First two pictures are the under side-what it looks like from the factory, then with the ducts in place.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »

Here's the top of the A/C with the shroud off-first what it looks like from the factory.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »

And here's with the shroud off with the condenser duct modified to use my designed 7" x 5.5" into 6" round duct.  First with the top off then with the plywood cover to keep the air flow suction through the condenser.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »

And a final picture of both units ready to install but without the flex duct (and lots of mess around-but we all know about that!).  Good Luck, TomC

Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »

Why did you go this route rather than mini splits, which have far higher SEER ratings and a similar price to what you paid for the roof airs? I realize mini splits are not rated for RV use, but many people report that they work fine.

That said, I admire your work on this project.

I am modifying a 5,000 btu window air conditioner to cool water, which I plan to use to cool my bus at night when the AC is not running.

Kevin Warnock
http://kevinwarnock.com - my blog
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »

Hey Tom,

I love where you are going with this but also curious to see your response to Kevin.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »

Tom,
Do you have cold feet yet? lol

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »

Kevin-I thought about going with the mini-splits, but couldn't figure a way to make the condenser unit vent without a huge duct system.  The Penguin has an incredibly strong squirrel cage blower on the condenser side that will easily vent through a 6" flex duct through the floor to an underneath 90 degree (facing back) deflector duct with screen to keep small critters out.
But the main reason is-if the mini-split goes bad and you have to get a new one on the road-where are you going to get it?  The Penguin is available at any Camping World and any other RV supply shop.  With the modifications I've made now to these units, if one of them goes south, I'll just buy a new one and probably take less then 2 hours to replace.
Running on someone else's power pole in a campground, I don't care what the SEER is.  Even on the generator, I don't think the lower SEER would make too much difference (maybe a few gallons a year) in fuel consumption.  Plus-I like the challenge of making something work that's not supposed to.  Good Luck, TomC

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:25:05 AM »

Tom; you know I use mini now but I have room for them because of the differances in bus design and luxury there fore of a back up ac built in.  In the 89 we are still using untill the new build is finished; I did a very similar project with room air conditioners from Lowes. still working great 7 years later. Only add on I did was add a small 20 inch ceiling hugger fan from Lowes over drivers seat to pull heat off roof to keep layering effect of heat and cool.  Nice clean work enjoy!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »

Plus-I like the challenge of making something work that's not supposed to.   TomC

Isn't that why we all thses conversions?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »

Wink Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »

Looks real good, Tom. Wish my Penguins were in the bays!

What did you do with the lower plastic covers? Been looking for new plastic but can't find them anywhere.

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »

I didn't order the lower plastic, inside units since I wasn't going to use them.  I do have two outside shrouds if anyone wants them at a reduced rate that CW charges.  Good Luck, TomC

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »

Robert, can you elaborate on the "room" air conditioners in you 89? What kind, how installed etc.?

Thanks

Fred
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

While I am also going the mini-split route, I think that there is a place for this swap.  For example, if you had basement air setup with all the ducting already run, and the basement air unit died.  Lots less surgery to adapt the penguin units than to tear it all out and put in mini splits.  I also bet it's quieter than mini-splits, because no fan inside the bus.  I have tinnitus and fan noise can some days save me and other days make me homicidal.  Condenser airflow might be easier to manage as well.  And if everybody did the same thing we'd all have Eagles with beige interior and what fun would that be?

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: