Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 05:27:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always Test before Installing!  (Read 1159 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »

A little different but related subject to installing my two Penguins in my truck conversion.  I stupidly did not test the units right out of the box to make sure they worked-I just assumed that since they are new they will.  So I went through all the modification of the units to the point that now I cannot return them.  One worked perfectly, and the other didn't cool-although the compressor was running.  I had an A/C guy come out to look at the unit.  He poked a hole in the low side return to the compressor-and no freon!  That either meant a hole in the unit or just no freon was installed from the factory.  The A/C guy istalled a service port. He pulled a vacuum on the system and we could see there wasn't a hole in it (thankfully).  He installed the 23oz of R410A freon and the unit worked perfectly.  Now with the service port installed, if it does have any kind of leak, we'll be able to tell right away.  Moral of the story-check to make sure that piece of new equipment works before installing.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:48:47 AM »

I don't doubt that I installed a Penguin they left out the capacitor their quality has gone to the dogs since moving to Mexico and the 20 dollar a day labor trouble around here with the Penguins last year they used solder on the lines on the 410 system instead of brazing they all broke.

The Cruise/Air systems made by Dometic in Mexico are junk now with the China made motors and compressors and that is a real shame it was the best unit on the market for a split unit in a RV but that is what we get with a foreign owned co like Dometic

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

Wow, makes me want to climb up on my roof and kiss my 1979 Dometics. They look horrible, wiring faded, aluminum fins corroded with some just gone. I should find and squirrel away some old units off of an old Winnie or something vintage. I am shocked every year I turn them on and they still work.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Flight102C3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »

Makes me wonder what are the best ones to buy???  Any body with any thoughts??  I'm getting ready to rough in the duct work and electric. thanks for your input.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »

Any manufacturer is exposed to quality control issues.

Especially when the segment costing is driven by re-sellers.

Even if yours was better, which will cost you something more than the other guy to do, you will have an uphill battle selling them to vendors and manufacturers for the higher price.

There is effectively no price spread on roof top air conditioners, they all retail for the same price.

The question might be:

Which manufacturer or re-seller is the most responsive to making things right in a timely manner?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »

TomC,

I seem to be getting more and more auto parts that DOA out of the box.Now I always check them if I can.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:51 AM »

Me too. I don't think they have much quality control in china. I assume that's where a lot of the parts are made.
And tools as well..

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

I don't find many parts made in China, mostly Mexico but the parts made in the US are no better.

However, many tools are made in China. They are cheap and you get what you pay for. Chinese tools only used once in a while are OK but not for everyday professional use. Unfortunately many US made tools are no better!

I think the whole mess is caused by us buyers looking for the lowest price so we are as much to blame as anyone. You can always buy Snap-On but the price is high. Craftsman tools are the best compromise for me as a shade-tree mechanic!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »

The Penguins are "assembled" in the US.  But open it up and you'll see the compressor from Indonesia and the fan motor made in China.  Do figure on that one.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: