Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the DD guru's, 8 92 mechanical to DDEC conversion, whats involved?  (Read 898 times)
Busted

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:50:34 PM »

I have a bad 8 92 DDEC out of a bus (my bus, I pulled it, 92 XL) & a good 8 92 mechanical out of a truck. What all will I have to swap out to make the mechanical a DDEC? I have heard lots of different things, but some of you guys on this board are downright experts on DD, so I would like to hear it from you guys!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:28:17 PM »

Unless the DDEC block is cracked, I would highly recommend you use the good parts from the mechanical engine to get the DDEC engine running.  I'm not sure you can use a mechanical block to change to a DDEC with all the sensors it has over the mechanical engine.  What exactly is wrong with the DDEC engine?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »

I completely agree with Tom. How bad is your original DDEC engine? What kind of problems are you having with it?
Here are a few suggestions if you want to convert a non DDEC to a DDEC engine:
I would first check to see if the non-DDEC camshafts and pistons can be used in a DDEC application.The fuel systems are different, DDEC system operates with higher pressures than a non DDEC system. I would use the DDEC ECM, blower with it's fuel pump, use the restricted fuel return line fitting from the DDEC engine,use the electronic injectors with their harnesses, the turbo from the DDEC engine,the L/bank cam pulley with the pulse wheel,and all sensors of course.Another very important thing to check is if the MUI (mechanical unit injector) heads can be used, or the EUI head is different - injector harness routing thru side of head, injector cups, etc.I'm sure some more folks will jump in with more info for you.
Good luck.  Cool
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 05:23:43 PM »

Where's my good friend Bill G?

Get in here, Bill!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print