Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 08:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DD 8V 71 overhaul price?  (Read 2798 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »

What could a person expect to pay for an overhaul of a DD 8V71?

Thanks...
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »

A complete rebuild where everything is replaced whether or not it is needed could cost upwards of $15,000.  My suggestion is to overhaul the engine where you only replace what is needed.  Since you probably won't ever need an engine that does 350,000 miles, an overhaul that gets 200,000 miles will work well.  That can cost anywhere from $2,500 up.  You might be able to get by with as little as bearings and rings.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:03:53 AM »

I was Quoted  $16,000 Canadian at the Detroit Diesel dealer in town.  A well known diesel shop in town said they just did one at a cost of $17,500 Canadian but it needed a new head which is included in the 17.5  So Tom's  $ 15,000 must be bang on.  Paul;

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
belfert

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to put a takeout engine in than an overhaul?  It really depends on much money you have and if you can take a chance on a takeout going bad.

A lot of shadetree mechanics and diesel shops that aren't Detroit dealers will do an overhaul much cheaper, but they will generally only replace what they know is broken.  Detroit dealers will replace a lot of stuff they know from experience is likely to break down the road, and that is a big reason why they charge so much.

Brian Elfert
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 11:41:25 PM »

It might be cheaper, but you don't know what you're getting.  By overhauling your own engine, you know exactly what the shape is of the internal parts.  Quite frankly, if you can't afford to keep up the bus mechanically-and that includes being able to pay for an engine overhaul, a transmission overhaul and a set of tires, maybe you should down size to the point that the vehicle falls back into your budget.  Nothing more unsafe than a bus where the owner doesn't have the money to properly maintain the vehicle.  That's one of the reasons some RV parks don't like bus conversions.  Good Luck, TomC

belfert

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:20:55 AM »

It might be cheaper, but you don't know what you're getting.  By overhauling your own engine, you know exactly what the shape is of the internal parts.  Quite frankly, if you can't afford to keep up the bus mechanically-and that includes being able to pay for an engine overhaul, a transmission overhaul and a set of tires, maybe you should down size to the point that the vehicle falls back into your budget.  Nothing more unsafe than a bus where the owner doesn't have the money to properly maintain the vehicle.  That's one of the reasons some RV parks don't like bus conversions.  Good Luck, TomC

I was just suggesting some possible alteratives to the cost of an overhaul from a Detroit dealer.  Probably a lot of people here who didn't pay much more than $15,000 for a bus with an 8V71 unless they have had it for quite a while.  I also listed reasons why a Detroit dealer charges more.

Personally, I have no problem spending money on safety items like brake and maintainance and try not to neglect anything.

A overhauled engine or tranny is not really a safety issue.  It does mean the bus might quit some day if someone continues to run a worn out engine or tranny.

Brian Elfert
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:48:47 PM »

Danny, why are you considering an overhaul?
What type of problem are you having?
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »

That's not necessarily true.  A takeout may be the best option, depending on the cost.  For example, there's a MC5 sitting two blocks away from where I am right now.  It's got a low mileage (40 km) 8-71, a recently rebuilt tranny, new clutch and relatively new tires.  He's asking $10k Canuck bux and he's been trying to sell it for 2 years - translation: buy it for maybe $7000 yankee bux.  That bus could provide a donor engine and be parted out such that the buyer came out even or ahead on his engine rebuild.  And that's not an isolated example.  The key is to know the history of the donor and be able to trust the seller.  I would never drop my bus off at Detroit and tell them to "do a rebuild" but I wouldn't necessarily automatically choose rebuild over replace either.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »

That's not necessarily true.  A takeout may be the best option, depending on the cost.  For example, there's a MC5 sitting two blocks away from where I am right now.  It's got a low mileage (40 km) 8-71, a recently rebuilt tranny, new clutch and relatively new tires.  He's asking $10k Canuck bux and he's been trying to sell it for 2 years - translation: buy it for maybe $7000 yankee bux.  That bus could provide a donor engine and be parted out such that the buyer came out even or ahead on his engine rebuild.  And that's not an isolated example.  The key is to know the history of the donor and be able to trust the seller.  I would never drop my bus off at Detroit and tell them to "do a rebuild" but I wouldn't necessarily automatically choose rebuild over replace either.

One reason I would like to have a rebuilt 8V71 engine that I paid to get rebuilt ( other than the obvious reason tomc pointed out) is I would like to see what happens when I get to 40,000 miles that will make me want to sell the bus. SmileySmiley  It must be a powerful force that makes a owner after spending all that money $ 15,000  and then is over powered by this force to sell . I have seen it probably 10 times inh the last few months Here and on E bay motor with fresh rebuild Then the almighty 40,000 figure. Smiley ;0

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:57:24 PM »

One reason I would like to have a rebuilt 8V71 engine that I paid to get rebuilt ( other than the obvious reason tomc pointed out) is I would like to see what happens when I get to 40,000 miles that will make me want to sell the bus. SmileySmiley  It must be a powerful force that makes a owner after spending all that money $ 15,000  and then is over powered by this force to sell . I have seen it probably 10 times inh the last few months Here and on E bay motor with fresh rebuild Then the almighty 40,000 figure. Smiley ;0

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet so I'm not sure I'm making sense of this mini-rant.  If I understand it correctly, you are suggesting that the 40,000 km I mentioned is suspect.  The guy runs a local charter service.  He's got 3 busses in his shop and business for 2.  He's been trying to sell the old one for 2 years.  I don't care a whit whether or not it ever sells (other than that it takes up room in his shop when I rent his pit).  And none of what you have said changes the point that I was making which was: if you find a seller that you can trust, it is perfectly reasonable to think that you can find a donor engine with a strong history at a reasonable price. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:14 PM »

Sorry Bob I'm just being sarcastic Hav'nt you noticed The rebuilt 40-45,000 miles ago on a lot of the ads etc...  I think if someone said 20,000 miles ago it would be easier to spot but 45,000 miles the outside is all dirty again. Just my sick humour. I meant no offense to your post.

Hey by the way where in Canada is the bus you mentioned Smiley sounds like a good buy. Smiley

Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »

I am looking down the road on the price for engine overhaul.  The engine runs great at the time.  There is some blue smoke on start up and on heavy acceleration.

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »

Danny,

I'm in the process of replacing the 8V71 in my 4905.  I have checked some prices.  My local detroit wants $15,000 for a "reliabuilt", which is there name for a complete rebuild.  That does not include labor for R&R.

Pedco (1-800-944-3199) quoted me $10,000 for a complete rebuild on the 8V71.

Geoff made the best recommendation to me so far, he recommends if I'm taking out the 8V71, upgrade to a 6V92TA.  I agree with the logic and that's what I'm in the process of doing.

My situation may be a little different than yours, my block has a hole in it............that's another story, I'd rather not go into.

Chris Christensen
1974 GMC 4905 8V71 soon to be 6V92 (also going to do the V730 upgrade)
Eagle, Idaho

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »

Chris- that is a smart conversion. You won't even believe the difference in your performance-and fuel mileage should be better as long as you drive it about the same as before.  I kept my 8V-71 since it was overhauled only 15,000 miles ago.  I am having a turbo with 7G75's  put on with relatively low (10-12psi) turbo boost with an air to air intercooler that I had custom made.  Just my choice-the 6V-92TA is a good choice since many are still in service along with the V730.  Now if only I could find a set of 4.125 gears to change to from the 4.625's I have now.  Still debating if I will switch since the gears are around $1,500-that can buy alot of Diesel fuel.  Good Luck, TomC

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »

......... Still debating if I will switch since the gears are around $1,500-that can buy alot of Diesel fuel. Good Luck, TomC

That is a great point Tom.

But the price of diesel ain't gonna go down. So we need to run the numbers to help decide What is best for our own needs.

For example, if your mileage was 7mpg & the gear change bumped it to 8mpg, At $3/gal, you would travel 27,000 miles before you saved $1500 in fuel. How many miles are you planning on driving?

Ain't this fun!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: