Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise King Cruise Control  (Read 2171 times)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »

I'm thinking of a little late winter project. Add a Cruise King Cruise control to our 8V71 powered MC-5. Have you had any experience either with installing or using the Cruise King?

Installation seems straight forward enough, but lots of small details like Clutch switch, connecting to brake light circuit, 12V power, making brackets to connect the control cable to the throttle, running the cables from the front of the coach to the engine compartment.

Seems like on those 1300 mile drives it would be kind of nice to be able to maintain speed and take your foot off the throttle.

Fred

Fred Thomson
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »

I installed Cruise King half way through my 9000 mile trip last summer. Love it. Hooked it up the  throttle pedal Workes great.

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:25:44 AM »

Installing a King Cruise was one of the first mods I made to the frenchy-bus many years ago now.  Wouldn't want to ever be without it. The module draws a lot of power so make sure to allow for that. I've installed several cruise controls on manual transmissions over the years and never yet bothered to install a clutch switch. YMMV.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:46:08 AM »

If you have jake brakes there may already be a clutch switch, maybe it can be used for this.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »

You don't need the clutch switch hook it to brake lites and you will be fine

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:34:41 AM »

I put one on the 1984 Eagle 10 and it made driving the bus much more enjoyable. Doing all the things you talked about are fairly easy. The support from King Cruise is great. They will talk you through any issues.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:14:09 AM »

The people at king cruise are SUPER and you will really like it on long trips -- You can mount it at the front or back so go for easy (where ever there is 12 volts to work with) I originally mounted mine in the back but because of the way my air throttle is set up I had to move it and connect it before the air module by the accelerator pedal so I got to install it TWICE Roll Eyes

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:16 AM »

Hargreaves do you have a manual throttle? I would prefer installing it up front to avoid running the cable front to rear.

Fred Thomson
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »

One thing I remembered that you need to pay attention to if you have LED brake lights. Unless they've changed since I installed mine, they need to sense ground through the brake light filament and they can't do that through an LED. My workaround was to put an incandescent bulb in parallel ewith the brakes. I put it up in the electrical panel wherever it was convenient. King Cruise may have changed their circuitry to work with LEDs by now.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:02 AM »

I have an air throttle (I don't know if this would work with the harder pull of a mechanical throttle linkage) which has a light pedal pressure (love that!).  I made a small plate and bolted it to the go pedal.  The cable goes through the metal plate with a much larger hole so the pedal can be used without the cable being flexed.  I mounted the control unit on the passenger side facing down and ran the cable looped under the floor to come up right under the metal plate on the go pedal.  The only thing I had to mounted in the engine compartment was the speed generator.  King makes a through speed generator-so you take the speed generator off the transmission (V730), install the King speed generator and then the normal speedo generator reattaches to the King speed generator.  Running the wires was not a problem since when I converted the bus I had installed 5 3-wire extension cords of different colors running from the engine compartment to the driver's compartment-just used two of those wires.  I have LED lights which didn't register with the cruise control.  King instructed to install a 100ohm resister in the brake light and ground it.  Works well.  Surprisingly, the King Cruise works very well with the air throttle.  And you can use it for a fast idle too.  I am going to install one on my truck conversion also.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »

Tom I mounted my speed sensor at the front wheel -- mixed it up with the speedo sensor

Saved running the wire to the back of the bus.

HTH

Melbo

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »

My speedo sender signal comes to the rear panel. I just tied into the nuts in the panel to use the signal from the existing sender.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »

I don't have or want cruise control on anything that i own. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »

I can remember when i wouldent have an automatic in anything i drive as well Smiley I am down to not having an auto or cruise on any of the bikes! I am considering a cruise control as well on the coach.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »

Hey Ed

How do you get up and make a sandwich while on the road if you don't have cruise

Grin Grin Grin

Melbo

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Bungee cords on the steering wheel and a stick or rock on the pedal. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »

I don't have or want cruise control on anything that i own. Smiley

I would never buy a vehicle that didn't have cruise control.  That is just me I guess.  I just got back a few minutes ago from a 600 mile round trip in my car.  It would have killed me to not have cruise control for that trip. 

I would never have bought my bus if it didn't have cruise control.  I couldn't hack 4,000 mile road trips without cruise.  My bus has an electronic engine so the cruise is built into the engine computer.  I flew down to Atlanta a bit over two years to see Ruthi's bus.  The rental car I got didn't have cruise and I couldn't stand it on the four hour round trip to see the bus.  I didn't realize at rental time there was no cruise so I couldn't get another rental.  (I didn't even realize any new cars with automatic trannys don't have cruise these days.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »

Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »

Fred, I have air throttle but all that is coming out as I have installed a S50 and no longer require it.  the amount of pull it will require on a mechanical pedal is a lot less than required when mounting straight to the gov.  I mounted it in the spare tire compartment and ran the cable up through the floor near the top of the throttle pedal. I used the brake switch mounted in the same compartment. Just used 24 volt relays to step it down to 12 volts.  I Used the front wheel speedo sensor that I tapped off the back of the speedo.  Works Great .   

Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »

I was thinking of installing a cruise control on mine, and was just looking at the ft wheel speed sensor last week and wondering if i could tap into that wiring... that would make the instillation so easy... Is that how you did it, just hook up your speed pickup wire to the ft wheel sensor wire?

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
gus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:30 PM »

Yeah, I used to be hardheaded about AT and cruise control too, but I finally came to my senses and now wouldn't go without either. I physically have to have something like a cruise because my leg can't take it.

Please explain why the King needs high amperage, don't understand that one?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

No one said it needed high amperage just a power supply to the brain

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »

That was me that said it draws a lot of power. I don't have a book for it but I'm guessing 8-10 amps. Not "high amperage" but not a trivial draw either.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »

Regarding current draw, i asked King Cruise about that and he said the stepper motor they use draws a maximum of 3 amps and usually holds around 2 amps when engaged.
Fred

Fred Thomson
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »

Fred,

That sounds more like it to me. Most small motors or solenoids don't draw many much power.

Of course high amps is relative, depending on 12 or 24 voltage systems.

High power is high power no matter the voltage.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: