Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 24, 2018, 02:57:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Double Decker  (Read 949 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »

Hey Guys - I have been working out here in Phoenix this week and we went to the Rose & Crown to have a few drinks and she was sitting out front.  Figured Cliff might be familiar with her.

Enjoy -

Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

You must not drank much Guiness looking at a bus at a British Pub lol I have seen it there just never looked at it

Neat place in Heritage Square for you non Arizonans good fish and chips but don't waste your money on the chilli the Britt's and Americans don't agree on chilli that is some nasty stuff

good luck
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:25:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »

It's a Leyland Titan.   With its dual doors it's maybe from one of the London operators.   What's interesting is that the Titan replaced the temperamental Daimler Fleetlines used in London, but both of them were outlived by the Routemaster, a much older design which arguably was better suited to the rigors of London service.   Even the Titan had reliability problems because of its complex electrical systems.

If I were still in England I might have chosen a classic double-decker to convert, like a Bristol Lodekka.   One could have the kitchen, shower/loo, tanks, etc below, and the entire upstairs could be an open-plan penthouse living/bedroom, literally a room with a view.   You could even have a dumb-waiter between the kitchen and the dining area!   It's too bad there's so little public or legal acceptance of bus-dwellers there  -  most people who try to live a mobile lifestyle there are treated like gypsies and hippies.

John   

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »

So happens I was driving down a motorway I don't often use last weekend and saw a double-decker being lived-in on a small holding some distance away from the road. It was a frosty, snowy morning and the bus stuck out, being bright yellow and with black smoke coming from a stove chimney.

It's certainly true that living on a bus or in a caravan is something only those at the margins of society would do here - because old buses and caravans are worth very little I suppose, so it's a seen as a desperate last option for those who have no other choice - or those who have deliberately chosen a drop-out lifestyle in order to become full-time eco-protesters or whatever.

Gypsies are a different group of people entirely, and one which is actively reviled by taxpayers and the law-abiding. I don't think a true Gypsy (one who claims Romany ancestry) would ever consider living in a bus - they have fancy caravans with lots of chrome, big 4x4s and Transit vans.

Living on boats is very acceptable here, incidentally, and many of those can cost the same as a house, or much, much more in some locations.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: