Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
January 17, 2018, 01:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil pump  (Read 960 times)
biff

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »

Hi all.I need to know if the oil pump can be remove on a mc8 with a 8v71 without moving the moter back away from the rear moter mount that bolts to the center of the engine? ::)Im in the process of rolling in new main and rod bearings. and i wanted to cheack out the oil pump. thanks. Shocked
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

On most (not all) 8V71's in MCI's the oil pump is gear driven and is in a scroll in the front seal cover of the engine.  You take the front cover off the engine to get at the oil pump.  On other 8V71 engine types the oil pump is bolted to the center main caps.

I don't think there is any need to do anything at the clutch end of the engine.  Just take the rear bumper off and you can pull the pulley and spacer off, and the front cover should be able to come off.  I don't think you need to take off the motor mount.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

Most MCI 8's and the 8v71 MCI 9's have the oil pump inside the pan on the engine pita but not a bad job

Life is short drink the good wine first
biff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

Well got my oil pump removeded today. Only issue i ran into was i had to remove the front seal to allow the pump to get past the step in the crank. pump hast to be removed on a angle.pump is in good shape. so it will be going back on. thanks for the replies. Grin
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »

Check the spacer sleeve that the oil seal rides against to see if there is a wear groove.  If there is, you can replace that sleeve quite inexpensively when you put it back together.  I got one from Luke.  The crank bolt torques to a highish number, around 350 ft lbs by memory.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: