Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Would Want To See Another Printed Bus Conversion Type Magazine?  (Read 4296 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

Folks, you are your own worst enemy.

Many of you have the opinion that anything you want to know is posted somewhere.  You might be right, but by the time you do a ton of searching, find the information and sort through all the really bad BS; your head will be spinning.  And, unless you have a pretty fair understanding of the subject, you might not be able to sort out the BS.  Worse yet, if you make a bad choice of opinions, you can pay a hell of a price for it.

Then a few of you seem to think that only old information is published in the magazine.  That pisses me off.  In the past two-three years, I have published articles on the following subjects in BCM:

Antifreeze
CO and Smoke detectors
Computers on the Road
Three part engine conversion
Headlights
Relays
Tow bars
Towing safety
Wheel bearings
Towing wiring

I spent at least 30 hours researching each article, many double that.  To the best of my knowledge, these articles contained perhaps 30% content based on the bus bulletin boards and the rest was my research - to build on the data presented and put it into a format that could be used as a reference document.  All of these subjects were carefully focused on Bus needs/technology and none were published previously in any bus related publication to the best of my knowledge (certainly not by me).  Each of these articles contained detailed references, applicable standards, and lists of component suppliers.  Some had significant contributions by other people on this board.  Most were a singular effort on my part.

My engine conversion series took well over 100 hours to write.  My CO/Smoke detector article was written after I nearly lost a daughter to a fault furnace.  Yes, a couple of them were a bit fluffy, but most had a fair amount of meat in them. 

A couple of the articles were written as a result of some very bad/misleading information/opinions on this and other bus boards.  I simply could not stand by and let new readers make potentially bad mistakes.

Jack Conrad and Sean Welsh also contributed a large number of other well researched/presented articles.

We all presented these articles and knew they would be subject to peer review.  

So, you folks who say that the article are recycled or that the information is easily available elsewhere, ***DID YOU READ BCM IN THE PAST TWO YEARS****Huh??

And you think there is a room full of folks waiting to take the time to write articles for a new publication?   Certainly, I am no longer one of those folks.  I had at least two more articles in the works, but it is simply not worth the effort any more.

Jim

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:37:51 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »

Cabin fever huh Jim lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »

Jim,

I think your articles were great, very informative, well documented, etc. Learned a lot from them.  What I am saying is I don't see a viable market for a printed monthly. There are only a few of us bus nuts.

Couldn't those technical articles, columns, and featured centerfold coaches be presented on an electronic medium such as this forum? Wouldn't the increaded traffic on the site generate more advertising revenue for the owner? Therefore making the idea a win-win? After a while, there might be enough money to pay contributors, maybe?

Anyway, I still can't see how a printed mag could make a go of it. I would not pay for it, not trusting it to come next month.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »

Clifford, not just cabin fever.  Lots of bad things going on for us right now.  In the past, I would bite my tongue and been politically correct.  Finding it harder to do in the past few months.

I am clearly pissed off by a few of the attitudes/comments in this thread.  

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

I am clearly pissed off by a few of the attitudes/comments in this thread.  

Jim

Jim, if anything I have said has pissed you off I apologize. I appreciate all the hard work you and the other folks that contributed to the magazine. I have learned a lot from your post on here and the articles you have wrote.

You are absolutely right about the internet. The internet is full of knowledge and if a person doesn't know enough about the subject or how how to weed out the BS they will get burned. There is as much BS as their is real knowledge (at least that much).

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »

JC, first of all, thanks for the kind words.  

When I loose control of my emotions, my somewhat limited communication skills really go downhill.  My only battles here are:

1)  Folks who think they can punch a key or two and get detailed, accurate, researched information on these forums and the internet in general.

2)  Folks who say that BCM only republished old information the past few years.

3)  Folks who seem to think the closets are full of productive authors just waiting for a chance to be famous in some sort of new bus publication.

I clearly said earlier that only a fool, or a really dedicated busnut (one in the same? Roll Eyes) would think about publishing a printed magazine or newsletter.  

While an electronic version would be much less expensive to produce, the publisher would still face the need to be fed large numbers of articles and spend tons of hours editing the articles and formatting the publication.  They might not have to address advertising, if the could get by with Google type ad income.

Now, I need to take a few minutes for the sedatives to take hold Tongue

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Cycletek

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »

I understand Jim's frustration with what he hears and I too had that feeling in the past as well. He wrote a lot of words with the best intentions and yet was either questioned or was told he was completely wrong and did not know what he was talking about. I know this because I had a technical column in a couple magazines called Hot Bike and Street Chopper for about 2.5 years which catered to the Harley Davidson and Custom Bike market, both of which were owned by the Primedia, the automotive conglomerate that has since sold the portfolio. I received numerous disputes of my knowledge and attacks on my mental capacity, all this thanks, for caring enough for trying to impart some good information that I had gleaned from working on American V-Twin since they has AMF on the side of the tank. I am very new to this "hobby" / "way of life" and I am completely involved in my bus project which I am shooting to have ready for "full timing", by the end of summer. Jim I understand your anger, but do not loose that part of you that wants to share your experiences and knowledge! I for one look forward to checking this board and others every evening, to answer my questions and to further enhance my knowledge about my bus!

Tracy Spencer

Tracy Spencer
Santa Clarita, CA.

1976 P8M-4905A #1363 (under conversion)
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »

Tracy, the HD crowd is a rough one. I suppose the motorcycle crowd in general is, but my main experience has been with the HD crowd. I can only imagine the experiences you must have had dealing with reposnse to your tech articles. There are more weekend warrior expert biker wannabe's than you could shake a stick at online.

It's cool to see another motorcycle enthusiest on this site ( there are several ).

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

Jim,

For the record, I would like to say that I have really appreciated your articles. I have always found them very helpful and informative. Thank you for your dedication and time. I, for one, always enjoy them.

The same goes for Jack Conrad and Sean Welsh.

Thank you for all the time that you guys have spent working on articles and such. That stuff takes a long time.

And for BCM itself. A little communication goes a long ways. I think that is where the problem is. If Mike would man up and say that he is broke, I think a lot of us would understand. Problem is, he isn't man enough to say that. That is where I have a problem with him.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »

Tracy, thanks for understanding.  Interestingly enough, the only subject that had any feedback was the antifreeze article and it was very minimal.  That is like writing about oil Grin (note, I am stupid, but not stupid enough to write about oil Shocked Cheesy).  

I have encouraged feedback in a few of my articles (computer on the road was one of them), but never heard a word.  Really never heard any feedback about the articles on the forum either.  That leads me to believe that no one read them Grin Roll Eyes

I suspect I have offended a few folks with my outburst.  As I think about what I said, it got pretty close to the personal level and that is simply not acceptable.  I apologize.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:35:46 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »

Let 'er rip, Jim!

If anyone has license to do so, you do. You wrote lots of articles.

I do not recall any significant "re-printing" occurring during the renaissance of BCM, fronted by Mike Sullivan.
Indeed those who wrote fresh material during that time were key to the brand gaining some lost luster.

I do not recall receiving a magazine since Mike Sullivan returned a rejuvenated, turn-key brand, with a magazine in the pipe, ready to print, to Mike Kadletz. That would have been the "online" edition we were treated to in the fall.

Be very clear, readers, of who is who.

Mike Sullivan is a far better man than most for staying quiet about these matters. He is deserving of our respect, it is his choice to be gracious about these events, which have been out of his hands for some many months now.

Our argument is with Mike Kadletz, who has now ruined the brand's reputation through inaction and silence.

Unfortunately, the hobby will be suspect of any who try to follow.

Wouldn't it be neat to eat crow with the arrival of a magazine in the mail tomorrow?

happy coaching!
buswarior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Cycletek

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »

It is through this dialogue we all benefit! We all glean what we will and apply it as needed! I find you all to be of kindred spirit because we all seek and find in each other what we need, that type of grouping is hard to find. Of course we will butt heads from time to time, but that is the humanity of it. I build and service mainly Harley Davidson and Custom bikes of similar ilk. I have also build quite a few Hot Rods and Customs, they kind of go hand in hand with the bike stuff. The shop is being sold to one of a few people whom have interest when my bus is habitable, I say this because like most I build, there are never done. Jim and all that read this, we are all adult and most of us have thick skins and enjoy a good ribbing, I certainly do! This is a topic that can bring various opinions that in their own right are all correct if you are far enough away, like me, I am the new kid with no history, at least for the time being! Not hardly a kid at 52 but in the bus world I am and I am not so full of myself not to realize this!!!! I find every subject to to hold my attention, even if it does not apply, Thanks to you all for making this extremely addicting, I kind of need to find out something new everyday!!! I am sure our paths will cross face to face as I finally go "full time" wandering around the country!

Tracy

Tracy Spencer
Santa Clarita, CA.

1976 P8M-4905A #1363 (under conversion)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:09 AM »

Well whaddya know another motorhead with a bus lol, welcome aboard!

VanMan Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

Van, the other intresting thing i found to do in Yuma other then putting a waterpump in the jeep , is i found a stack of bcm mags from the 90"s at a yardsale, i will be giving them to you when we see ya.
Matt

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
|@n

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

Now, I need to take a few minutes for the sedatives to take hold Tongue

Jim, I'll share my meds with you. And pay $100 each for the unfinished articles, finished, if I can have internet rights to publish them.

Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: