Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:49:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Would Want To See Another Printed Bus Conversion Type Magazine?  (Read 4367 times)
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »

I am saving all of my BCM mags.. They may be old, but they are sure to become collectors items.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
blank

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »

I can faithfully admit, that a great deal I learned or needed to know, I learned here. There are other Bus forums, but the vast majority of discussions you find here, are repeated on the other forums.

The main issue I see with the magazine deal is some people paid for a subscription, and haven't seen it. Thats the kind of stuff gets under peoples skin. Excuses only go so far. My suggestion would be to either admit there will be no further magazine publication and refund the peoples money, or go forward.

Perhaps the idea of a magazine that caters to such a small group, especially in this internet age, is not really that viable. What may be needed is a change in how this information is shared and put together. Maybe rather than a published printed magazine, an online magazine would have much better purpose?

There are forums for everything today, but they all lack one thing. None that I have seen have a good search engine, and no one has taken the time to group the articles into sections. What happens each time a noob shows up, they start asking the same questions that were asked 100 times before. When were dealing with 25 to 70 year old technology, the answers are always going to be the same, we shouldnt have to continually re-hash the same subject over and over and over.

And what we all see happening, is the continual dumbing down of the proper or correct way to do something, rather than sticking to the book. Thats not to say there arent simplified ways to solving problems, or that there arent a few different ways to skin that cat, but to often these various forums allow idiots to suggest fixes that are simply beyond the pale.

An online magazine could blend the best of forum discussions, projects, and howto's, while preventing all of the outright bizarre, useless and dangerous information from ever seeing the light of day.

An online magazine could post online manuals, project poster boards, schematics, and discussions, in a format that could stay fresh, and easy for subscribers to find the information they are looking for. There could be Bus of the month, as well as Bus of the week, day, and year. Bus project of the week, month, etc..

Just some thoughts. We all have something to offer, either through direct experience in mechanical, electrical, and engineering, as well as adventures and some of the emotional things that we experience. It really is all kind of about sharing.  

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »

We seem to be mixing two thread themes here.  There are two other threads on the current magazine and all the problems:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22551.0

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22827.0

My understanding is that this thread is addressing the possibility of a new/different publication.

Ian, that is a generous offer.  Your current article format is quite different from the BCM article format which includes pictures/tables/drawings.  I am not too sure how those two formats could be mixed.

Unfortunately, it is academic for the near future.  I am really burned out and overloaded with a couple of other fun Huh Roll Eyes activities right now. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:51 AM »

Van, the other intresting thing i found to do in Yuma other then putting a waterpump in the jeep , is i found a stack of bcm mags from the 90"s at a yardsale, i will be giving them to you when we see ya.
Matt

Thanks Bro!  Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Busgeek

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

I would certainly subscribe and I agree with the contents list of the first post .  I'm a real do it yourself kit and like to know what others have done and I like to share what I have done also.  Keep bussing !!!
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

Honest opinions...as a 20 something...everything I do now is electronic. My bills are electronic, my banking is electronic, in fact, I donate to my church electronically now. That being said, the direction things are headed, I also think on online guide/magazine would be a better and more commercially viable deal. Not saying don't do the magazine, but giving you my two cents.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »

Jim, just wanted to say that Ken and I appreciate the time, and effort put into the articles that you, Jack, Sean and others did, so that others could benefit from your knowledge. We sometimes get wrapped up in our daily struggles, and forget to let others know we appreciate them. It is so easy to get discouraged from our experiences. We struggle with that constantly, with folks we deal with. Anyhow, just wanted to say a Big THANK YOU! Mike S. did a great job, and Mike K, shame on you for your silence.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Busgeek

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

Ad me to the list of wanting a printed version again!  As far as content it was generally good before,  but leaving an opening every edition for input from the old timers. I.e. special tricks, shortcuts,  money savers,  jury rigs, etc.  I believe would be a good addition and the cool photos at the end, I think it was one for the road was enjoyable!  Hope this helps.   Busgeek.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »

That's funny,
I was thinking about the same thing today. I happened to be reading about Mike Lutestanski's bus in the May 2011 addition. I've read it a several times already. It is so nice to just pick up a magazine and read it and look at pics. These dog gone computers hurt my eyes. Lol!
I would probably pay a little more for one if it would help.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
siberyd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

Add me to the list for the printed version too. I had a problem while on the road in a non-cell territory.
We have a lot of those in the Ca desert. Anyways I had a current issue (thin mid 90's) k that had a quick fix for the problem in the magazine. An hour later back on the road. PDF doesnt work if you are out of range.

1964 White/Carpenter 35' RE 3208 Husky Camp
1957 PD 4104-2240 Converted Siberyd

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/26R13/
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »

You can count me as another nut who appreciated the printed version of the magazine. If it wasn't for the back issues given to me by a long-time friend Jerry who was already a bus owner, I would not have taken the plunge. I have never looked back...OK, maybe once or twice, but I'm still bussin'! I owe a huge debt of gratitude also to folks like Jack, Jim, Sean, Laryn, Bob and others who have researched and written articles, shared experiences, and offered encouragement and friendship over the last few years.

I miss the magazine and would subscribe to BCM or one like it again. This ain't just about the buses. Thanks guys.

Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: