Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:41:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French crash  (Read 533 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

On the news here this morning (and sadly the bus is a Plaxton).

Briton dies in French bus crash

A British man died when a coach carrying UK schoolchildren crashed in France, the Foreign Office has said.

Pupils from Alvechurch School in Worcestershire were among the 48 passengers on the coach, which crashed near Chalons-en-Champagne.

Local sources said the fatality was a 61-year-old man. Five people have been seriously injured.

The UK Foreign Office said it was urgently investigating the incident and was providing consular assistance.

In a statement on its website, travel company Interski said there were 13 adults and 29 pupils on the coach.

It says it has been informed of five serious injuries and 22 minor injuries, all of whom are being treated in hospital.

Those who are uninjured are being cared for at a sports complex in the region. They are receiving attention from the French Red Cross who are also providing psychological support.
'Veered into ditch'

Interski said the coach, which was returning to the UK from the Aosta Valley, Italy, left the motorway and came to rest at the bottom of an embankment.

It happened at about 02:00 GMT (03:00 local time) on the A26 motorway, near Chalone-en-Champagne in the Champagne-Ardenne region of France, on the road between Troyes and the port of Calais.

The vehicle involved was owned by Solus Coaches, which is based in Tamworth, Staffordshire.

The BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris said: "It seems the coach was the only vehicle involved. It veered into the ditch at the side of the road and it was a very serious accident."

People in the UK who are worried about relatives and friends should call the Foreign Office's helpline on 0207 008 1500.

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

Only one fatality. Sad to find that as a good thing out of this accident, but considering how it might have been...

Don't know anything about Plaxtons, but it looked to be a very modern coach.

Interesting they were returning from Italy to the UK. That seems like a very long trip. Is that usual there?  Do they load the bus on the train through the Chunnel?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:55:11 AM »

Yes, quite normal to drive across Europe like that - I've done it by car towing my boat several times. France has excellent roads and generous speed limits, so with two drivers you can do it overnight if you keep your foot down. It's why GT cars came about - big Astons, Bentleys and Jaguar coupes designed to get their wealthy owners to their yacht on the Rivera or villa in the Alps.

Regarding ferry or train - my guess would be ferry as there's no restaurants or duty free shops on the train. The ferry is slower but cheaper - and I expect a lot cheaper for a bus given that the ferry companies would love to see all those passengers spending money on board.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: