Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 01:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $50 Paint Job?  (Read 4520 times)
crown

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »

scott update ? pictures ? wanting to see how it turns out thanks john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Hi John,

It's rained or attempted to rain here in Apopka, FL for the last couple of days, so we're still two coats of paint away from finishing. But I can tell you it looks pretty good already. It's cold (66 degrees) and rainy today and will be raining tomorrow, so give me until Tuesday. I can assure you I will not leave this thread hanging without "after" pics (I just hate it when people do that Huh). Tuesday should dawn nice and clear and I'll post some shots of the car with final paint coats, but yet unbuffed and unpolished (so it will still exhibit some orange peel and not a ton of shine yet).

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

These are pics of the car with final (7th) coat of paint. No wetsanding or polishing has been done yet. It will shine when those two steps are completed later this week.

[

Scott & Heather
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »

I'm impressed!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »

some of the pics clearly show that I didn't really try to fill in the dimples, dings, and random dents. Just not into that for a 1998 Camry with 230,000 miles on it. But I was embarrassed driving something so rusty, especially here in Florida where everyone's car seems to look like it's fresh off the dealership lot. Anyway, looks much better to us. Definitely not professional, but much improved. Again, give me a week or more before I polish and shine it. Then I'll post final pics. Thanks for the props BK

Scott & Heather
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »

Looks good. Did you attempt to "tip" it, and if so what did you think?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

I smell a project coming up, Laryn!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »

Laryn: I did not attempt to tip since the paint was really much too thin. In a thicker paint, I do think it would have worked perfectly. It seems to me that getting a nice good amount of the paint onto the flat horizontal surfaces of the car and then very lightly (using only the weight of the roller) rolling it out worked well, but again, still plenty of orange peel. Next time, I think I wouldn't thin the paint 50/50. I know that everyone is saying to do that, but thinned 50/50 it literally was nearly impossible to really get a good layer of paint on the car thick enough that I was comfortable wet sanding and then compound polishing. 7 coats and the paint was still so think I could see through it in some places. I got some on my hands, and wiped my hands on my work shorts, and when I looked down at my shorts expecting to see white paint, I only saw translucent white streaks. Amazing...I would rather it go on a little thicker (you still must thin alot in order for it to dry quickly) and then have a big job of wet sanding and polishing later. Just my opinion.

Scott & Heather
gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »

Some years ago, while I was converting my Eagle, I was with another Bus-Nut when we visited a Bus-Nut friend of his and one of the things I found real instering was he and his wife would use rollers and brushes and the best grade of exterior house paint he could buy and the two of them would paint their GM 4106 about every 5 to 6 years.  They had done it 3 times in the 20 years they had owned the coach.

I was suprised at how good it looked 5 foot away.  Guess you could call it a poor mans paint job.

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: