Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:00:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: williston ND  (Read 2139 times)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »

Are there any bus nuts around or near Williston, ND or plentywood, MT I May be up there some time in late April.

Would like to meet and visit.

Thanks

Don
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »

Hey Don, I could be if the dough was right! LOL! Wink Grin

Just Me

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Ok Van, how much is your wife will to pay to get rid of you for a couple weeks. LOL

Don
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

Don, if you're going in the bus, you won't find a parking spot in Williston for love or money.  You might be able to squeeze in to the Wal-Mart but you'll have to fight the roughnecks for a spot.  FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

Going fishing huh Don lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »

Clifford, you got that right, I need to get out of here for a little while. I need to find a place where I can fire up the BBQ with out the EPA breathing down my neck for air pollution.

Sean, I do here what you are saying, I have been watching the news but I am not going up there to work. I want to find either a busnut I can rent a place from for a couple of days or a good river to pull up to, drowned a fly or two and tell the world to kiss my Huh even if only for a few days.

Know what I mean.

Don

Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

On our return trip from Az, our friends at Bismarck, ND told us that Wal-Mart had 'cleared out' their Williston parking lot of RV and trailer units that were "camping". It was on the local news.

Apparently, they had police and several tow-trucks on site to assist.

I guess that makes one less place to overnight...   Sad

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »

Don,, Whats the draw of Williston??  There are great fishing spots in Montana and Idaho if its fishing.  I spent my four military years in Grand Forks and its just flat flat farm land, did I say flat??.  Several years ago the then governor of ND posted billboards around the states borders to improve tourism,, two I remember where: "Welcome to North Dakota, mountain removal project completed.">>>  "Welcome to North Dakota, Custer was healthy when he left here: >>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

Hey Don  there is a nice KOA in Miles City and that puts about 3 hrs from plentywood. We moved to just outside Billings MT right off of I94 east bound.I have some room if you need a lay over and 50 amp.

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

I can think of a whole bunch of other places I'd rather go then ND.But then it is your choice.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »

I can think of a whole bunch of other places I'd rather go then ND.But then it is your choice.  Good Luck, TomC 

Yeah, the phrase "rather be boiled in bad beer" do strike a famillyah note!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »

Here is the scoop on the Walmart, it's off my overnight list... Interesting reading
http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/williston-walmart-campers-finding-alternatives-to-parking-lot/article_6c0d2d48-537b-11e1-b4ea-001871e3ce6c.html

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »

Don,

I have a friend in Sidney, MT.
PM me and I will give you his info.

Joe

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »

It appears RVers wore out their welcome at this Walmart by staying long term.  This is exactly why many RVers say never to start pulling out chairs and other stuff to make it look like a campground when you overnight at Walmart.  Is overnighting now completely banned at the Williston Walmart?

I noticed the Walmart at Vadnais Heights, MN now has a sign that says no overnight parking.  I wonder if it applies to RVs too?  This Walmart was just remodeled to include a grocery section.  I have seens RVs there before, but I don't think the signs went up until after the conversion last fall.  They previously had signs about cars left for sale would be removed.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »

It appears RVers wore out their welcome at this Walmart by staying long term.  This is exactly why many RVers say never to start pulling out chairs and other stuff to make it look like a campground when you overnight at Walmart.

Brian, these were not "RVers" passing through Williston.  Williston is experiencing a severe housing shortage due to the shale oil boom -- rents have quintupled, campgrounds are full, people are living in cars, tents, trailers, whatever.  These are roughnecks with no place to stay -- oil company can't build dorms fast enough.  Google Williston and you can read up on it.

Is overnighting now completely banned at the Williston Walmart?

Yes, apparently.  Not surprising, and, as the article said, Walmart was very lenient about it for a very, very long time.  I'd seen pictures of the lot a few months ago; it looked like a post-apocalyptic encampment.

Probably a good revenue opportunity for someone who wants to open a plain-jane year-round RV lot near there.  The roughnecks have plenty of cash -- that's why they are there.  Just no place to live.

-Sean

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »

It appears RVers wore out their welcome at this Walmart by staying long term.  This is exactly why many RVers say never to start pulling out chairs and other stuff to make it look like a campground when you overnight at Walmart.
Brian, these were not "RVers" passing through Williston.  Williston is experiencing a severe housing shortage due to the shale oil boom -- rents have quintupled, campgrounds are full, people are living in cars, tents, trailers, whatever.  These are roughnecks with no place to stay -- oil company can't build dorms fast enough.  Google Williston and you can read up on it.

I understand they were staying long term, but I wasn't sure what to call them besides RVers.  Walmart was generous to let them stay as long as they did.  These folks probably did a fair bit of shopping at Walmart, but I also suspect they started to scare away other shoppers.  I don't think there has ever been a time I have stayed overnight at Walmart that I have not gone into the store to shop.

There are enterprising folks who want to buy/rent old schools and other vacant buildings to set up man camps.  Approval has been hard to come by because long term residents don't want these facilities and in some cases the towns don't believe their sewage system could handle the extra load.  In some cases the town's population could easily grow by 50% to 100% almost overnight.  I have no idea why the state doesn't require oil companies to have places for employees to live before starting to drill.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

...  I have no idea why the state doesn't require oil companies to have places for employees to live before starting to drill.

At the risk of turning this into a political discussion which can go way OT in a hurry, that's the camel's nose in the tent.  Requiring private employers to ensure that enough housing is available locally for employees before opening a business or starting any sort of endeavor would ultimately make doing business in this country even more expensive than it is today, resulting in both higher consumer prices and more industry moving offshore.

Where would it end?  Should Walmart, Target, Macy's, etc. have to ensure there is enough employee housing before opening a new store?  Honda or GM ensure there is housing before opening an auto factory?  In the chicken-and-egg scenario, why would housing developers build houses where there is no factory to employ the homeowners merely on spec, hoping that a company might open a factory if there is enough housing?  I think you can see where this is going -- someone will end up paying for either empty housing to be built to guarantee a factory, or an idle factory until the housing can follow, and that someone will be consumers and/or taxpayers.

If you apply this "rule" only to a single industry, such as oil exploration and development, the same effects occur just on a narrower scale.  You simply end up adding to the costs of the product, which in this case is fossil fuel, and (here comes the bus-related content), we the consumers of said fuel will ultimately pay the price, all so that a tiny tiny fraction of the population can avoid being temporarily inconvenienced -- classic NIMBY.

I will point out, BTW, that at the same time the taxpayers of Williston were complaining about losing their small-town feel and having to deal with congested streets, higher crime, and all the things that go along with explosive growth, they were also quick to cash in on the bonanza by jacking up rents, selling property at substantial gains, and fleecing the drillers for everthing they could.  Nothing wrong with this -- it's just how the free market works.

North Dakotans may not be used to it, but the American west is dotted with towns that went from one-horse to boomtown overnight, then boomtown to ghost town nearly as fast -- it is the way of the world with scarce natural resources like minerals such as metals and gemstones, and, yes, fossil fuels.

Parking at the Walmart in Williston is a casualty of the situation, but frankly I am happy to give that up in order to advance domestic oil production and reduce our dependence on foreign oil -- notwithstanding Nick's thread about HoJo motors Smiley I will be running diesel in my bus for the rest of my life.

-Sean

Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »

".. that's the camel's nose in the tent"   love this expression!   I'm going to copy you, if I may ! 

Excellent free market solution related to public policy.  Nice Sean.    I wonder why there is not a resurgence of 'Company Towns' in this area?   ---politcal rant deleted Wink
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

Don,
I have a couple quarters of land with a vacant farmstead near Plaza, ND if that would interest you. It has a well and septic. Not sure if the power is on or not at present. Nice spot.
Fred
612-801-4826

Fred Thomson
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

Oil companies have certainly provided housing in remote locations when necessary.  I highly doubt being required to secure housing would drive up the price of oil.  Nothing says they couldn't charge employees rent to cover the cost.

Oil is priced based on supply and demand.  The price has little to do with production costs.  We probably wouldn't be seeing the rush to drill if the price of oil wasn't so high.

Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

For what it's worth I have worked in the Williston Sidney Area for 4 years. And watched it go from small production to what it is today at what seems over nite. The City Fathers of williston turned a blind eye to what was coming because of being burned from the last boom.
That being said the companys that are over there are doing what they can to supply there people with something to live in. But along with all booms come the ones that just show up for the spoils.
Walmarts parking lot like most of the open space there just got abused. plan and simple They did what they had to do. The Williston area can not keep up with what's happening. I don't have any answers just first row seats.

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »

Oil is priced based on supply and demand.  The price has little to do with production costs.  We probably wouldn't be seeing the rush to drill if the price of oil wasn't so high.

supply and demand is only partially to blame for oil prices. Lets not forget about the oil speculators, they can really wreak havoc on the price we pay at the pump.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: