Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are options for painting wheels?  (Read 2567 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »

I have steel wheels that are not in the best of shape paint wise.  I need to replace some tires.  What is the best option for repainting them while the tires are off?  There are several layers of paint that are flaking off so they need to be blasted to remove the paint I guess.

I did find one local powder coating place that has a website with a price list.  They charge $100 for a 24" wheel including blasting, cleaning, and powder coating.  The thing is I could buy a brand new steel wheel for just over $100.  Would powder coating be better than a new wheel?

Aluminum wheels would be nice, but it would be at least $300 each by the time I buy a wheel and then install longer studs.  I would never save enough on fuel to justify the weight difference.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »

When I do it, I clean the inside of the wheels and paint with rustoleum; after the tires are on, I sandblast and paint the exterior. That way they don't get brutalized by the tire mechanic.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

Brian,

Another thing to consider, if thinking of purchasing new steel wheels, how old are your steel wheels ? I replaced two 15 months ago after I suffered cracking between the stud holes on mine. The mfg date should be stamped on the wheel.

Good Luck,

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »

We have a place here that comes around from time to time, picks up your wheels, sand blasts them and powder coats them white or gray and brings them back. $20.00 a wheel!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
mikke60

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »

How do they bake on the powdercoat with the tires on?
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »

We have a place here that comes around from time to time, picks up your wheels, sand blasts them and powder coats them white or gray and brings them back. $20.00 a wheel!

$20 is way better than $100!  I'll ask the tire places if they do this or know anyone who does.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

"Steel It" has a good system and others do also with the Stainless Steel paint little pricey if you pay retail 2 to 300 for 2 gals but I bought 2 gals for 75 bucks with the primer off a  Ebay seller good stuff

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

I did my wheels on the Courier 96 a few years ago. Wire brush, sand paper, elbow grease, then Tremclad/Rustoleum either from rattle can or brush it on. Looks good. Touch up when needed, such as after changing tires.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »

(snip)  $20 is way better than $100!  I'll ask the tire places if they do this or know anyone who does. 

I tried powder coat - the color didn't match the sample on the sheet (which *did* match the color on my bus) and it scratched bad when the tire gorilla mounted tires on them.  Not really happy but I'm not sure any other paint would have done better (except for the color match, that is). 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »

I clean mine up with solvent, lightly roughen with a MMM pad and spray paint with white epoxy appliance enamel. It doesn't pay to use an expensive system because any tire shop will destroy it in a minute. Changing truck/bus tires is heavy duty work!

My system is redoable in minutes once the wheels are well cleaned the first time and nothing looks as good as white wheels on a bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »

Well, when I bought two new steer tires 2 years ago, I had them do mine. They said the blasted and powder coated for $45 a wheel. They looked pretty good
when I got them back, but it didn't look like powder coating to me. It lasted less than a year and the paint had cracked and was showing rust signs through
the cracks.

I have a small sand blaster. I'm going to pull them this spring one or two at a time and blast the rims with the tires still on. Then I'm going to tape the tires around the
rims, primer with Rustoleum primer, and paint with Rustoleum gloss. Will let them cure for a week or so before I reinstall them on the bus. Less chance of damaging
the paint if it has a better chance of curing properly.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Taibob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »

I had mine sand blasted and powder coated on both sides.
Colours do not match from wheel to wheel.
Tyre man used a plastic sheild around nuts when mounting and did not do any damage.
I am pleased with the result--except for the colour mismatch

84  mci 9   8v71n N70 Jakes 740 auto   Oliver, BC
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »

Some large tire dealers do an exchange on them these days! I know Best One Tire does. I don't know what they charge but they have pallets & Pallets of them sitting there and from time to time when I'm there buying tires I here the service writer tell the tire jockey to do a wheel swap too!

Might check with Pomp's or some of the other large dealers up in your area to see what they offer.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »

Brian -

I'd have to agree with Gary.

If you're gonna spend $100 to dress up your old wheels, might as well get new for about the same price.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »

Some large tire dealers do an exchange on them these days! I know Best One Tire does. I don't know what they charge but they have pallets & Pallets of them sitting there and from time to time when I'm there buying tires I here the service writer tell the tire jockey to do a wheel swap too!

Might check with Pomp's or some of the other large dealers up in your area to see what they offer.

Are they exchanging for another used wheel that has been painted?  I did check with Pomp's Tire and they wanted $110 for a new wheel.

It seems silly to buy a brand new wheel when I really don't need one.  The only thing wrong with my wheels is they look bad and they need to be blasted and repainted. 

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: