Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 03:37:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: painting steel wheels  (Read 2439 times)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:04:59 AM »

I've cleaned up my steel wheels and would like to paint them (with the tires on). What can I use to mask the tires? Nothing I have seems to stick to the tires.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »

Grease ?

Torquester
1974 Silver Eagle, 3406 Caterpillar, South Dakota
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »

It is hard to do a good job spray painting wheels with the tires on. On method is to cut a cardboard disc just a bit larger than the rim and use it as a mask.  With care you can get to the edge of the wheel with minimal paint on the tire. A painted  line on the tire close to the rim won't do any harm.
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:58:49 AM »

You could try a McDonalds Chocolate Shake.

When my kids were little we found out the those shakes were just about the best glue ever invented.

I even think you could glue air to water with that stuff.

The only problem I see is getting it off after your done painting.

Seriously though, you could use a coat of some kind of tire shine or mineral oil.... the paint won't stick and what is overspray will wash off pretty easily.

Dallas
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »

I grew up with old Mack trucks hauling coal and cowfeed.  We all wanted to look cool like the Peterbilt guys with the polished Alcoas, but nobody had any money.  I was 23 years old before I realized that an 11.00R20 truck tire would roll properly without a ghost of metallic silver overspray right around the bead.

We'd make a "stencil" of cardboard from the back of a logbook with a curve cut to (roughly) match the curve of the rim - and hold the "stencil" against the tire with one hand and spraybomb with the other.

Some guys would just spray it, but we thought they were losers with no class,,,  :-)

It was a simpler time.

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
busnut104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »

I have several different size corrugated pipe couplings that I use for different size wheels. You can tighten or lossen for a little variation in size up to a coupl of inches.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 04:40:16 PM »

Jim,
If you go to my photo web site there is pictures I took of my painting my steel rims for my S&S and how I did it.  I used good "Removable" tan masking take, (2" width") I purchased from a auto body Paint supplier and also the paper to wrap my S&S and Tires in when I painted.  Note: You do not have to use the auto body paper, you may use what ever you wish but if you use newspaper, you will get print all over you buy the time you are done.  The masking tape from the Auto body supplier is much different than regular masking tape.  Use the stuff the professionals use to minimize frustration to us amateurs.  You have to apply the tape about 6 inches in length at a time carefully shaping it up under the lip of the rim as you do and keep overlapping each previous piece at a time to the entire inside diameter of the tire/rim first, then add the paper with more tape to overlap the fist layer.  Trying to add the paper first will not work, do the entire inside diameter with the tape and then add the paper.  You can then fold the paper any way you wish to make applying the paper as easy as you can as you apply it and protect your tires from overspray.  This job like any means you cannot rush it, take your time, the tape will bond unless wheels are covered in grease / oil from the DD, if you run it in reverse!! This tape intended for auto taping is the best, it will not leave residue or stick to your tires and you can leave it on for hours before removing.

The site to go to is:
http://community.webshots.com/user/converter101
Go to the following location to find the photo's I am talking about.
Album #12
Photo's #17a, #17b, #17c.

I will attempt to copy those photo's on this post, I need the practice, that way also you will not have to go try to find those photo's out of over 600 posted.  I hope I can do it, did one photo earlier, now really brave, trying 2!!

I hope this helps. Keep in touch when you can.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:30:16 PM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »

Like Gary, I used painter's masking tape (blue kind) to mask of the one wheel I painted.  I made a cardboard shield that I held in place as I painte and moved it along with the spray can.  It worked well, after I realized how much paint was ending up on my tires.  I washed the tires well and most of the paint came off.

David
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »

Thanks for all the info. The tan/blue tape seems the way to go! But I am in Old Town FL, I think the nearest autobody supply is an hour away, so will go with the cardboard template.

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 05:02:30 PM »

Blue masking tape is available at every hardware store I believe.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 05:05:55 PM »

Thanks Richard, you have cut my travel time down to 30 min!!!!

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »

Jim,
    you may have a problem with the tape sticking due to the protectent you put on your tires. The good news is that a heavy coat of the protectant applied immediately before painting might prevent th paint from sticking to the tires.  Jack  (Dad)

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 06:39:15 PM »

Yea, but make sure you do not get any on the rims, or the paint will not stick. LOL
Richard

Jim,
    you may have a problem with the tape sticking due to the protectent you put on your tires. The good news is that a heavy coat of the protectant applied immediately before painting might prevent th paint from sticking to the tires.  Jack  (Dad)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 06:55:19 PM »

growing up in a family with a charter operation I have my fair share of wheel painting experience.

any masking tape will work as your not worried about lifing any finish

is 3/4" masking tape in short pieces 5-6" long and overlap them while goping around the wheel lip.

The tap should easily slide down well inside the lip

Then tap a piece of newspaper over the wheel so maybe a 1/8th of the circumfrance is coverd.

use a scewdriver or sissors and cut out the arc of the wheel

this will be outside the weeh arc.

the tape the arc in the newspaper to the tape you put on first.

Should be able to dio it with 6 sheets of newspaper.

Paint

larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »

Jim

Sneak in kitchen and take a bottle of your wifes liquid soap and a 2 in foam brush and lay tire and wheel down flat and squirt some soap on tire and work it around wheel with the brush let dry and turn over and repeat and let dry paint away till your happy and let paint dry over night at least and take tire and wheel outside and turn on water hose with nozzle and wash paint off tire and mount on bus and admire your work. quick and cheap unless you get caught then price of din din out probably still time and money ahead LOL enjoy

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: