Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:33:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which way? changing 2 12v batteries with 2 6v golf batteries?  (Read 698 times)
Busnut83

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

Does it matter which way the cables run to change to 2 6v golf batteries... for my xantrex inverter?
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »

Does it matter which way the cables run to change to 2 6v golf batteries... for my xantrex inverter? 

Not quite sure what you mean by this.  If you had two 12v batteries (and I'm assuming that you mean your xantrex inverter is 12v), then those batteries were in parallel.  Therefore, you had a pair of "bridge" cables connecting the batteries, one between the two positive posts and one bridging the two negative posts.  Then you had a negative cable from the interter to the negative post on one battery and a positive cable to the positive post of the other battery.

When you're going to two 6v batteries, you'll need for them to be in series.  You'll want a link cable linking the negative post of one battery to the positive post of the other.   That will leave you with two bare posts, one negative and one positive.  Attach the negative cable from the inverter to the bare negative post and the positive cable to the inverter to the bare positive post.

So, yes, it does matter which way the cables run.  But basically, if you have a negative cable from the inverter and a positive cable from the inverter they will be attached to a negative and positive position on the batteries in both cases.  The difference is that the 6v pair will be linked in series and the 12v pair will be parallel.   (If, BTW, your inverter is 24v, you'll need 4 6v batteries, all in series.  What voltage is your inverter?)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »

Yes i understand this,,, but I have a positive and neg cable comming from the coach? this is away from the invertor... I think they are 12v from the generator or the alt to charge.. this is on the  98 prevost?
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »

Yes i understand this,,, but I have a positive and neg cable comming from the coach? this is away from the invertor... I think they are 12v from the generator or the alt to charge.. this is on the  98 prevost? 

What is the voltage of the electrical system on your bus?  Is the starter 12v or 24v - same with the headlights?  do you have a separate "house bank" of batteries that you are trying to charge?  Is the inverter 12v or 24v?

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »

Bus is 24v... Invertor is 12v...
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:24 AM »

you would connect the 2 6v batteries together in series, then treat the 2 battery assembly as a single 12v battery. Connect positive cables to the positive post on one battery, and the negative cables to the negative post on the other battery. there should be a single "series jumper" cable from positive on one battery to negative on the other. The "jumper" should be the ONLY cable connected to those two posts, all other cables get attached to the remaining outside 2 posts (one post on each of the 6v batteries). Sounds like this is your house bank, in which case the chassis voltage is irrelevant.

clear as mud?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »

... I have a positive and neg cable comming from the coach? this is away from the invertor... I think they are 12v from the generator or the alt to charge.. this is on the  98 prevost?

Since you have a 24-volt coach but a 12-volt inverter, you must have two separate battery banks -- a 24-volt coach bank and a 12-volt house bank.  The stock alternator on the coach can not charge the house bank using this arrangement, at least not without an intervening device to change voltages.

If your coach has been fitted with an additional, separate 12-volt alternator, that's a different matter.

I advise to to trace every cable and measure every voltage before making any modifications to your system.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: