Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 10:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 liter Series 60 in 1988 Prevost  (Read 4575 times)
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

Clifford my 8V was 475 HP DDECII and after cooled. I guessed there were several things I could have done to help the fuel mileage. I owned buses for several years with two strokes. A 4104 with a 671 then I installed a 6v92 in that and my Prevost with the 8V92. I don't why, but I just never loved them, even though that 671 was about bullet proof. The 8V in my Prevost had plenty of power and Iím reasonably sure it would out run any 4 stroke bus Iíve been in at least in drag race. I would not have changed it except it started leaking coolant around a liner o-ring. If I had known how many hours it was going to take to do the swap, I donít know, Iím just out of the delivery room and the birth pains are fading but I still remember the pain clearly. I say today ďIím never having sex with another busĒ. Check with me in a few weeks, maybe I could be persuaded.

As for the fuel mileage it will take a few fill ups and at $4 a gallon those fill ups are just about out of reach right now. Iím going to see where I am on MPG then I have one more thing to try, advancing the cam about 4 degrees. I have a friend claiming at last extra mile per gallon with that modification on trucks pulling 80,000 lbs. Iím always skeptical, but I have some experience degreeing cams and I know the general effect itís going to have and since Iím turning 1400 RPM at 70 MHPH I think it could work.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

Ken, one of the things you will find is that the timing retard is in the camshaft profile and not the gear timing. We experimented with a couple of offset TRS sensors to try and find a better way of advancing the timing, we did make the engine run a lot better and use less fuel and also lowered the emissions but could not keep the sensor from leaking oil once we modified it. If you have a buddy that can modify the ecm you will be better off than trying to advance the camshaft. Maybe Clifford can help you a little. He does know the guru on the ecm's.

Good luck

Don
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »

Ken,

I have zero experience with buses or rebuilding engines. Seeing all the work you put into this is absolutely amazing.  What an incredible experience and payoff. Almost too much to process.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 05:31:02 AM »

Don,
 I understand what you are saying because the cam provides the injection pressure and the ECM controls the exact injection timing. Inside the ECM program that is called the BOI table ďBeginning of InjectionĒ. I can change that table, Im trying to find at what point in the stroke of the injector is there enough pressure for a correct spray pattern. Advance the timing too much and there may not be enough pressure. The injectors in this 14 liter are different from the 12.7, there is no injector height to set. Rotate the engine until the injector is at full stroke, bottom it out with the adjuster, back off ĺ of a turn and tighten the lock nut.

Sean,
 Thanks for you complements. It was a challenge and I had enough experience to know better but I did it anyway. Payoff?? Maybe, hopefully Iíll be able to get some use out of this in the future. One thing I just recently noticed about myself, ďI can do anything but I donít know nothingĒ. I know there is a conflict in that statement but I think it fits me.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:34:50 AM by Hard Headed Ken » Logged

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: