Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC-9 hitch  (Read 3367 times)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:16:08 PM »

I'm going to start my hitch this weekend (after carlisle PA), I like GUMPY's and FRED HOBE's, so any comments?
I didnt do it yet but I think I'm going with Gumpys.
I have all the materials i just need to get out of the inside and do it. Of coarse I will not have a lazer cutter.
carlisle was a rain out for me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 07:13:55 PM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
plyons
Administrator

Bussin' in Tennessee

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:38:07 PM »

Hi Ed,

I'll post some pics of an MC9 trailer hitch installation I've been looking at.  I've been looking for a hitch for some time now.  I don't have the skills to do the work myself, so it's a bit difficult to get it done right by someone who understands the bus frame, etc..  I may also be able to post some plans as well. 

Are you going to be putting tongue weight on the hitch assembly?  Or, are you building it to pull more of a rolling weight?

Hitchless in Chicago,

Phil
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »

Hi Phill ,
Thanks for asking I most likely will be pulling a toad 4 down.
But I want the option of pulling a trailer with 4 quads and a dirt bike, or a couple Harleys ,or a Harley and a toad.
So I will be making the hitch as heavy duty as possible.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »

maybe you'd like to sswing by and look at the custom coach installed hitch on my MC-*

tekebird@yahoo.com

mechanicsburg, PA
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 07:39:18 PM »

If the upload folder is working, here's an idea...this is quite suitable for a 4-down toad.  I wouldn't want to tow a heavy tongue weight on the hitch.  Simple to execute. 
The side arms rest against the frame, and are made from 1/4" material.  The hitch is a 10K pickup (Dodge) that I bought off ebay for $20 bucks.  This is on an MC9.
Whatever you build, don't get it hanging out the back or too low.  You'll tear it off on a low place. 
Best, JR
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:43:48 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
plyons
Administrator

Bussin' in Tennessee

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »

Hi JR,

Thanks for posting - that pic of yours is what I was going to upload.   Smiley

I'm thinking of taking those pictures to the fabricator working on my bus now.  Seeing if they can follow your setup with my bus.

I'll keep you all posted on this.

Best Regards, Phil
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:22:33 PM »

Phil, your fabricator shouldn't have any problem making a much nicer looking unit than mine...I used what was avail.  They may offer improvements too.   Post the outcome so I can steal your ideas!  Wink 
Best, JR 

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:55:55 PM »

Waiting to see what you come up with, I too want to take what you have and fabricator build me one.

Regards,

Grant
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:07:22 AM by grantgoold » Logged

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 04:50:35 AM »

I may still have the posterboard patterns I made for the side pieces that are welded on the cradle on my MC9. If anyone is interested, I could see if I can find them and trace them on a piece of poster board for you. They were an exact fit. A friend had them digitized and cut with a laser cutter, but they skipped one notch which I had to grind out. Only thing I'd change on mine is that I'd make it a bit longer. I didn't get it far enough back to clear a bumper. I may have to modify the cross piece whenever I finally get a bumper installed.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »

Phil ,
 I had read on one the bus pages on the web (And I apologize to the author) I changed computers last year and unfortunately lost a lot of my bookmarks......
  But here's the gist-Someone else wil read this and post the correct web address for the original article.

On the bus mentioned in the article, the receiver socket on the bus hitch was moved to the left of center.
I already have a 2" receiver on my bus, but here what I'm a gonna do-
  My toad is a 1971 VW Beetle convertible. I plan to pull the car up behind the bus just like I'm am going to hook up the towbar, but instead, I'm going to put the drivers side of the car in line with the drivers side of the bus. That way, I can see the drivers side of the car in my mirror. It also helps with the right hand turn when towing.
     As I said, I already have a 2" receiver in the middle. I bought a 1- 1/4" receiver to add for my VW toad hitch.
  I hope I didn't butcher that too badly.......I think it's a great idea!
Chuck Lott

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 05:12:10 AM »

I've heard that, too. Never tried it. Never seen it done either, but after pulling the explorer over 30K miles, I'm
glad I didn't do it on mine. I can't see it being any better than having a camera, plus it exposes your toad to
more risk by putting it closer to the center line, and when you make a right hand turn, you won't be able to
see the toad at all. 

Advantages I see of not doing it are that you will be able to see it on both sides when you turn a corner,
and the camera is there for normal use. Also, the lights on both sides of the bus will be visible around the narrow toad.

I'm considering putting a camera in the lower rear corners of the bus so I can see the wheels on the toad.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 05:52:16 AM »

Guess I should have submitted that in the "tips"page instead of this thread.......

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 05:59:35 AM »

Yep Chuck. I am already using the one you already posted about posting. Thanks.
Richard

Guess I should have submitted that in the "tips"page instead of this thread.......

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:10:13 AM »

I may still have the posterboard patterns I made for the side pieces that are welded on the cradle on my MC9. If anyone is interested, I could see if I can find them and trace them on a piece of poster board for you. They were an exact fit. A friend had them digitized and cut with a laser cutter, but they skipped one notch which I had to grind out. Only thing I'd change on mine is that I'd make it a bit longer. I didn't get it far enough back to clear a bumper. I may have to modify the cross piece whenever I finally get a bumper installed.

craig

I am interested in you design. Let me know how I can help out or what you need from me. Perhaps if the plans are digitized, the file could be sent to me and I could have it printed out on a large scale printer?

thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 08:32:38 AM »

I am interested in you design. Let me know how I can help out or what you need from me. Perhaps if the plans are digitized, the file could be sent to me and I could have it printed out on a large scale printer?

The patterns were digitized at the place that cut the plates, but unfortunately, I didn't get a copy, and don't have access the place any more.

I think all I have, (and I'll have to see if I can find them) would be the posterboard templates. I can trace them onto posterboard, roll them up, and ship in a tube, if you're interested.

Here's the link to the page... http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/MC9_WIP/Towing_Hitch/towing_hitch.htm

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: