Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:20:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on the Eagle bus  (Read 1270 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:23:50 AM »

Hi folks.  Since others are updating the board on their project, I thought I might do the same thing.

My bus project pages have just been updated:  http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm

These pages contain a lot more detail than most folks want to read, but it might be a good reference for anyone considering an engine swap in an Eagle. 

Our project began as a quick conversion 5 years ago – yeah, right!!!  The bus is fully functional with all top-of-the-line major components.  As such, it is a joy to live and travel in.

However, it still remains very “Plain Jane”.  I will continue to pick away at cosmetic work, but the safety, power train, and operating systems are essentially done.

Our bus began its maiden voyage on March 6, 2006.  Since that time we have spent 115 nights in the bus.  We have driven just slightly less than 13,000 miles and have been in 20 states!  We have had almost no issues with the bus and continue to enjoy our “home away from home”

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »

Jim, Nice pictures !!!  I was inspired to get back to mine after 7 months.  Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »

Great update Jim!  Thanks for sharing.  Too bad about that rear-end though.  I'm sure that was the last thing you wanted to deal with at that point!

What kind of fuel mileage have you been getting with your setup?

How's the power on the hills?
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:50:30 AM »

Jim,

What a great job you have done on your project. It is nice to see and hear someone converting thier Eagle into a Classic Lady.
I will have to go back a study your site again to glean some information for my Eagle conversion.
I am interested in your leveling system, since I am on a budget and can do the work myself. I would like to see more photos on the way you mounted the cylinders and the controls you are using.

Thanks,
Paul
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:04:50 AM »

Tom Y:  Part of my reason for posting was to give others some encouragement.  Several times I gave up for a while.  A couple of times I hit a mental block (making all the electrical hook-ups for the computer systems for the engine and transmission was a major mental block).  Several times I had to thrash to get to the next level.  I would try to avoid that situation, as it is not fun.  Now, I can pick away at a more "fun" pace.

Brian:  I have the Silverleaf VSMpc hooked up (would not be without it) and it says that I get right at 8.0 MPG.  I know that that is pretty close, since I set the variables in the DDEC computer to agree with my tires/rear end ratio and the speedo agrees exactly with road marker and the GPS.  Also, I use the "fuel used" as my fuel gauge and it agrees withing a couple of gallon in 100.  The power is pretty good going up the hill.  My engine is rated at 475 and with the 10 speed, I have a gear for most any condition.  The bus was weighed at 36,500 and we pull a Durango loaded with trade show product and display panels.  I have to back off a bit on some hills as my air charge cooler is too small and the inlet air temperature gets higher than I want.  However, all things considered, I still get up any hill at a reasonable pace.  I have located a larger air charge cooler and have a better air flow system designed in my mind.

Paul:  I have not completed the leveling system.  The two back cylinders are fully mounted and functional.  The very basic mechanical valve system works just fine.  Right now I use a 110V pump and a reservoir  that are not mounted in the bus.  I have used the cylinders to lift the bus off the ground to work on the brakes and to lift the engine/transmission off of the dolly. (yes I am careful to block).  Indeed, when I had to get the rear end out, I had to raise the bus up very high to skid the pumpkin and drop box out from in front of the rear end.  We will be home most of February and I hope to get the system complete.  I will post more information at that time.

One more comment on the Silverleaf.  I have four different odometers that I use.  I set one daily for a measure of that days drive, one is set at total miles on the engine, one set for the trip and one set at each fill up.  That data coupled with gauges for all of the engine functions AND instant fault code accessibility is just wonderful.  It has gone far beyond the “toy” status to a “must have” status.  I have sure “sold” a lot of them (too bad I don’t get a commission). 

One last thought to all of the folks mired down with their project:  keep picking away at it – you will not regret it after you are on the road!

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: