Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 03:25:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redneck Dictionary  (Read 2103 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

Since a lot of you are apparently going to Jacks get together this winter, and since many of you may be from the northern parts of the country, I am providing a dictionary that may help in your talks with Jack and some of the other good ole boys.

1)    HEIDI - (noun) - Greeting

2)    HIRE YEW - Complete sentence.  Remainder of greeting.  Usage: "Heidi, hire yew?"

3)    BARD - (verb) - Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow".  Usage: "My brother bard my pickup truck."

4)    JAWJUH - (noun) - the state north of Florida.  Capitol is Lanner. Usage:  "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck and took it to
Lanner."

5)    BAMMER - (noun) - the state west of Jawjuh.  Capitol is Berminhayam. Usage:  "A tornader jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in improvments."  (Correction:  Capitol is Montgomery - thanks, G. MacCrone!)

6)    MUNTS - (noun) - A calendar dvision. Usage:  "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."

7)    THANK - (verb) - Cognitive process.  Usage:  "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."

Cool    BARE - (noun) - An alcoholic beverage made of barley, hops and yeast. Usage:  "Ah thank ah'll have a nutter bare."

9)    IGNERT - (adjective) - Not smart.  See "Arkansas native".  Usage: "Them Bammer boys shore are ignert!"

10)    RANCH - (noun) - A tool used for tight'nin' bolts.  Usage:  "Ah thank ah left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago."

11)    ALL - (noun) - A petroleum-based lubricant. Usage:  "Ah shore hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

12)    FAR - (noun) - A conflagration.  Usage:  "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the all in my pickup truck, that thang's gonna catch far."

13)    TAR - (noun) - A rubber wheel. Usage:  "Gee, ah hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck."

14)    TIRE - (noun) - A tall monument.  Usage:  "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, ah shore do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Paris sometime."

15)    RETARD - (verb) - To stop working.  Usage:  "My grampaw retard at age 65."

16)    FAT - (noun and verb) - A battle or combat; to engage in battle or combat.  Usage:  "You younguns keep fat'n, n' ah'm gonna whup yuh."

17)    RATS - (noun) - Entitled power or privilege.  Usage:  "We Southerners are willin' to fat for are rats."

18)    CHEER - (adverb) - In this place.  Usage:  "Jest set that bare rat cheer."

19)    FARN - (adjective) - Not domestic.  Usage:  "I cuddin't unnerstan a wurd he sed... mus be from some farn country."

20)    DID - (adjective) - Not alive.  Usage:  "He's did, Jim."

21)    ARE - (noun) - A colorless, odorless gas containing oxygen.  Usage: "He cain't breath ... give 'im some are!"

22)    BOB WAR - (noun) - A sharp, twisted cable.  Usage:  "Boy, stay away from that there bob war fence."

23)    JEW HERE - (pronoun and verb) - Contraction.  Usage:  "Jew here that my brother from Jawjuh got a job with that bob war fence cump'ny?

24)    HAZE - (pronoun and verb) - A contraction.  Usage:  "Is Bubba smart? Nah...haze ignert.  He ain't thanked but a minnit'n 'is laf."

25)    SEED - (verb) - Past tense of "to see".  Usage:  "Ah ain't never seed Noo Yawk City."

26)    VIEW - (verb and pronoun) - Contraction.  Usage:  "Ah ain't never seed Noo Yawk City ... view?"

27)    GUBMINT - (noun) - A bureaucratic institution.  Usage:  "Them gubmint boys shore is ignert."

28)    FIXIN' - (verb) - Preparing to.  Usage:  "Ah's just fixin' to do that now."

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:23:43 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »

Richard, [Blue Collar Comedy man]

Ya al bring yur diction ary whichyaditchya....

My mutter is gotttin angry at you, cause uaint respectin daway I talkin....

Well, I reccon it'sa time ta reports ta ma new job. [Fixin pickemup trucks]

Gots ta go, da wicksked haags yackin ats me.

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:20:42 PM »

Ya myte nos yous a ridnick if y'all tauk bout crack en da mens pulls up der pants!

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 04:51:10 AM »

When talkin' to a southerner or redneck, remember that "Ya'll" is singular, "All of Ya'll" is plural.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »

I have to believe that 90% of the people I talk to here use #13.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »

Although I live in Texas now, I'm originally from New England.  So, I qualify to request a little equal time with the following conversation, typical of the Boston area.  Translation follows:

Jeet?
No, Jou?
No, S'go.

Translated:

Have you eaten yet, sir?
No, in fact I haven't.
Actully, I haven't eaten either, so shall we proceed?

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 05:50:03 AM »

This is funny.

My kids and I give my wife a lot of crap about her southern drawl. One day she actually said a complete sentence in one word. Actually, it was mostly just a bunch of consonants all strung together. Not many vowels in it.

What was scary was we both understood what she said!  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 05:56:24 AM »

A few more that are used here in rural WV a lot are:

Woncest= once
Twicest = two times
Tar= tire
Crick= creek
kettle(s)= pots & pans
Stewer= pots & pans

NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 06:19:20 AM »

When talkin' to a southerner or redneck, remember that "Ya'll" is singular, "All of Ya'll" is plural.  Jack

If that's so, Jack, what tense is "Yu'un's"?

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Dallas

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 07:26:37 AM »

If that's so, Jack, what tense is "Yu'un's"?

NCbob

Bob, It's a regional term from Missouri and Northern Arkansas, spelt, "You'uns."

My stepdad has used it from time imemmorial. Although he's only a few years older than you, (he's in his late 80's), he hails from the Show Me State, and as we like to tell him, his home town was "Constipation, Missery." He grew up looking at the used grass end of a fresh grass intake mammal.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »

That might be the origin, Dallas, but they sure use it a lot around here in the Mountains.

The couple who bought our former home are now friends and occasionally I get a note from her.  She writes beautiful poetry of a Christain nature and when she writes a note she uses yu'un's.  It ain't cultrue shock..it's just the way the mountain folks are.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »

Just a side note. Saw a TV show a while back that traced these speech patterns back to England; where they still speak the same way.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 03:58:10 PM »

You shouldn't believe everything you hear on TV!

Jeremy

PS. Actually, whilst I genuinely don't recognise any Anglo Saxon in any of these speech patterns, there are certainly some strong parallels with the West Indian language and dialect; in the fairly recent past (ie. post war) there have been strong West Indian communities in some areas of Britain, although those communities are disappearing now through intermarriage and reduced immigration.

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:40:11 PM »

Guy's, Guy's Guy's,

That Dialect is Derived From Rocky Mountain Water......That's a Fact...Not Fiction!...I think....

On a recent trip to Kentucky, I was drinking some local water and I instantly started saying "Ya'll" as I was choking on the worm....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 04:25:26 AM »

You guys are talkin' about me, ya know.  I'm a rednik from way back and ya gotta larn how to keep the pig in a poke.  I've fout many a guy over pikin at me bout my talkin.  I'll whup eny body that caint talk rite like we'uns.  Cat

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: