Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:56:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detriot Deisel 8V71 engine coolant in oil broke down in Central Florida  (Read 13860 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »

Guys these folks are doing a lot more admirable thing then me letting them use a bus that rarely leaves the driveway the last couple years, let's face it , one way or another we all give our buses away someday.

When I offered i didn't realize that it's spring and I have a 1/3 mile dirt/gravel drive that is not gonna be ready for a bus for at least a week. There are load restrictions in place but I figure if they happen to catch us they can give me a ticket for that. I talked to Kerry today and the logistics are formidable. The two main one's being I'm in Minneapolis and they are in Florida, that's quite a distance between us. Also,  I'm trying to find out if the bus could be seized if they don't do the whole commercial license vs RV license conversion and they ran into trouble somewhere because of it. I know that the Commercial vs RV license question is a  touchy subject guys and I hope everyone will tread lightly here. For some folks, the difference can literally break the bank, but if it meant not feeding my kids I wouldn't hesitate to take my chances and I understand that some of you out there have to do that. My insurance guy was fairly hopeful that we could work something out so that's good news.

I wish he was closer to Clifford or Don so they could get a good hands on look at it as Florida has proven to have pretty slim pickings on the DD mechanic side and the one guy in the area wasn't in a position to help. I have a great 2 stroke guy up here but transport anywhere over a few hundred miles becomes scary expensive.

My heart goes out to this family, they are really up against it right now, but they're asking great questions which always brings great answers and they work for a really cool guy that's just crazy about them. Wish we could do a bus version of a barn raising for one family a year in need like this. Where we all figure our creative ways to help those in need that in some way help others through the use of their bus. That would be a noble cause.

Praying for grace and direction for this family. What an ironic family name for a ministry... The Lord Family.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »

Definitely think someone should look at the cheap '71 MC 7 near Ocala on Craigslist. I think you mentioned that already in the thread topic....if the motor is good, could be a swap?

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »

Hargreaves
I'm glad you got a lol out of my spelling (can't spell my Way out of a paper bag) Cheesy and sometimes spell check does not allways catch my mishaps. Did not even know of the mistake until wife lol when ask her to read it for me. Just wont everybody to know I was not making a joke of the true blessing that was offered. Hope no one was offended.

Thanks Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
LordFamily

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 04:58:35 AM »

Hey all,
Today we're having AAA RV Plus tow our bus up to Lakeland to John Silver's Central Bus.  He has 4 or 5 8V71's in stock, fully tested and ready to put in, should we have to go that route.  Hopefully not, but at least we'll be in the right place for all the scenarios... hopefully.
Thanks again.  We so appreciate the warmth of this board and the offers to help financially.  Our website LordFamilyMinistry.com  has a PayPal donation button and/or contact info for other means for those so inclined.

We let you know how it goes!
Have a great day!
LORD Bless you all!

1982 Prevost LeMirage PoorMa's Conversion
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2012, 05:27:17 AM »

Hey all,  Today we're having AAA RV Plus tow our bus up to Lakeland to John Silver's Central Bus.  (snip) 

As others have said, I hope that you find a quick and inexpensive way out of this situation.  Keep us up to date and we'll try to help.  Best wishes,   BH  NC  USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
LordFamily

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:39 AM »

Hey all,
We had the bus towed up to Lakeland yesterday.  Good ole AAA RV Plus! 
John Silver met my wife and I upon arrival.  He made us feel welcome! 
We should know something today or tomorrow.

LordFamily

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

Update...
The bus is still at Central Bus in Lakeland, FL.  John Silver is replacing engine with another 8V71.  They ran into some issues on differences on the replacement engine, IE: backplate, etc.  which is taking longer.  They should be sliding the replacement in today or tomorrow.
I'm still not sure what caused the overheating.  John said they will be checking/testing radiator.
Thanks to you all for recommending him.
We have had to continue on with our tour into Georgia and hopefully, GOD willing, and the mechanics don't run into any more issues, we'll be able to pick up our bus This Thursday or Friday to head back into Georgia to continue with our singing/ministry tour.
It's been quite an adventure.. <grin> But we've been able to borrow a mini-van and utility trailer to use.  We've had a couple of breakdowns with the van!!!
We'll let you know how it all turns out.

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2012, 01:17:02 PM »

Kerry;

Great news on the engine progress.   Does you Prevost have a single radiator?   I strongly recommend pulling your radiator apart and boiling  and rodding out the core assy.   If you strip the tanks yourself, most industrial radiator shops will boil and rod the assy for less than $150.   Assembly with new stainless fasteners and gasket should be less than $250   This will give you peace of mind in the future.
LordFamily

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2012, 07:36:36 AM »

Great idea!

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

Wondering if there were any updates on this bus, thanks! Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

It was for sale on Ebay a few months ago Van I never knew if it sold or not

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »

wow! Thank you sir! Wink Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
LordFamily

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 03:32:32 PM »

Hello Folks,

I am so sorry.  I thought I replied back in April when we got the bus back from Central Florida Bus. 
It was cheaper and quicker to put in another know good working 8v71 engine.
They wanted me to return at about 1000 miles to tighten up anything, but we had to start heading north with our ministry schedule.  The bus showed a few leaks in Virginia Beach.
We stopped at Prevost shop in NJ and had them do a Pre DOT and tighten some stuff down.
We then came on home to Maine without any issues.
Today we just got back from a 4 hour trip and again the bus is doing very well.
Thanks for all you all did for us down in Florida.
LORD bless you!

chev49

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »

Its nice to know things are working out well. God is in control...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

Its nice to know things are working out well. God is in control...

Silly me ...... I thought it was John Silver that got things under control.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: