Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:50:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: video on building bus cabinets  (Read 1384 times)
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:59:42 AM »

I got started on the cabinets in the bedroom.

MC9 bus cabnets

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »

Very nice workmanship-I wish I had a shop to create nice furniture like that.

I used only four drawers in the kitchen-total in the bus.  Drawers are real space eaters-as you can see by the gaps (which are necessary) around the drawers.  While more a pain to use, shelves with doors will give you more usable space.  I'm working on my kitchen installing in place the custom made overhead cabinets.  I do this since there will be no partitions in between taking up any room.  Also I don't use glue on the cabinets-just L and T brackets screwed-allows for movement without, for instance, popping glue joints.  I used this method on my bus and the cabinets (22 years later) are still tight-but capable of being taken apart if necessary. Just my way.  As one said-the is no right or wrong way of doing cabinets-just so they stay together and not fall off the wall when driving-then you did it right.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »

I really enjoyed that!  I like doing face-frame cabinets too, but for lightness I use a quality veneer 1/4" ply for the fields.  I'm getting the materials in to do some with sun-darkened cherry frames and a contrasting white maple field for my kitchen.  Nice to see real craftsmanship in progress.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »

Mike,

Looking good!

Enjoyed seeing your progress....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »

You, sir, are without a doubt an artisan. Very good work! Can you get down to central Mexico next week?

Only one suggestion: Waterproof the inside of the birch panel where you will run your plumbing, in case you ever get a leak.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

"I used only four drawers in the kitchen-total in the bus.  Drawers are real space eaters-as you can see by the gaps (which are necessary) around the drawers."

If you use European style cabinets (i.e. no face frame) there is only 1/2 inch wastage between the drawer and cabinet side. The doors then overlay the cabinet sides.

Regards

Fred
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:10:20 AM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments.  One of the reasons I choose pine was because of its light weight compared with other hardwoods. Also the fact that it is readily available and inexpensive, comparatively didn't hurt either.  Yes, European construction without face frames would have been a more efficient use of space, but I sacrificed some space to hopefully accomplish a "look", I am attempting to build the bus on the theme of a turn of the century, the last century, east coast sea side cottage, or at least my interpretation of one.

Only one suggestion: Waterproof the inside of the birch panel where you will run your plumbing, in case you ever get a leak.
  This is an excellent suggestion, although all the woodwork, including cabinets in the coach are all sealed, face, ends and backs with several coats of poly, I can see where some additional water proofing in this area would be good insurance. 

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »

Nice work, Mike.  Clean, solid good looking work. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »

Mike,

Awesome Job!  I think we are right about the same spot - I am currently in the process of building out the cabinets over the bed. I was just getting ready to post some pictures of where we are at and I saw this post.

We have finished the substructure for our cabinets over the bed and mounted it to the 3/4" and 1/2" that is mounted to the bus frame.  We are now sizing all the facing and making sure it fits. 

After we sand everything down to fit just right we will screw in all the facing and be putting up the doors and then the electrical in the bedroom.

Thanks for the inspiration.  Love your router table. 

Love the videos as well...keep them coming.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: