Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:40:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy an MCI-9 tow hitch?  (Read 2727 times)
gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:10 PM »

Any recommendations on where to purchase an MCI 9 tow hitch?
Or maybe someone who can weld one together to sell?
Or someone wanting to get rid of their old MCI 9 hitch?
I appreciate all info.

****1982 MCI-9 Crusader-II Bus Conversion****
R&M 102 C-3 style Front & Rear cap with louver kit
smooth side kit, dash-board kit, one piece siding
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:43:02 PM »

I hate to mention it, but there is no premade hitch for your bus.
In fact, I'm not sure there is ANY bus, (Parlor coach), that has a hitch that's a bolt on.

If you want one built for yours, go to your nearest machine shop or, come down to SC and you and I will build one together.

Dallas
gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:07:31 PM »

I hate to mention it, but there is no premade hitch for your bus.
In fact, I'm not sure there is ANY bus, (Parlor coach), that has a hitch that's a bolt on.

If you want one built for yours, go to your nearest machine shop or, come down to SC and you and I will build one together.

Dallas

I'll take a raincheck on that offer. Sometime when I'm headed south, I'll give you a ring.
For thee meantime, I may have to check the local welding shops.
Thanks.

Stan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:48:36 AM »

Before you go to the welding shop, you should have a basic design for the hitch. Will it be load carrying or just pulling (that is a trailer or a towed car)? It must be a bolt on system so that the engine can be removed  without a cutting torch to remove the hitch.  The hitch shops that specialize in tow hitches don't have much experience with buses.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:23:31 AM »

my first rude awakening with the bus. The shops that  "specialize" in hitches will not even talk to you!!!!! UHaul ect.  Try this link  users.cwnet.com   Look under Fred Hobes articles in there somewhere is info on how to build a hitch.  DO NOT let a welding shop weld it to the engine supports.   If this does not work for you, I have a very simple hitch, which I can try to post for you.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »

Here is the best descriptions and pictures of a tow hitch build out for the MCI 9. I plan on making the same unit in the spring.

http://www.gumpydog.com/bus/site_map.htm

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:24:17 AM »

I appreciate all info.

Where are you located?  Anywhere near the Washington DC area?

Ross
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 07:37:12 AM »

Just for giggles.  Ideas abound for hitches.   Most are not suitable for heavy tongue weights.  A toad imparts no vertical tongue weight.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »

If you want to fab your own in the manner I did, I just happen to have a receiver hitch on the old 91 explorer that I'm thinking of removing before I send the rust bucket off to the scrap yard. It could use a good blasting, but you'd be cutting and welding on it anyway. Would make a great start for a custom hitch. If anyone is interested, it's in MN and I'd let it go pretty darn cheap. Maybe a couple cases of some really good dark beer. How about some Black Bear beer from up around Kamloops?

Roll Eyes

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »

I appreciate all info.
Ross
I'm located close to the Delaware/NJ boarder. Any Ideas?
BTW, thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations from other members of this board.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:17:36 AM »

Looking through Ebay a few minutes ago (bought a bus book...Larry Planchko (sp?)), saw what appeared to be an MCI 'hound with a trailer behind it.  The trailer was painted up with 'hound strips just like the bus.  This was a new Canadian Greyhound bus...so it would appear that assuming this was an MCI, (or 'hound) MCI is producing hitches again...if not continually.  They had a factory hitch install for MC9s.
I'd read that the concept was discontinued due to driver complaints.   Obviously they are still pulling mail or package trailers in Canada.
FWIW, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »

Pulling trailers behind STC busses is really common here in the People's Republic of Saskatchewan.  Might be worth a phone call to the maintenance department:
http://www.stcbus.com/contactus.aspx

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »

I appreciate all info.
Ross
I'm located close to the Delaware/NJ boarder. Any Ideas?
BTW, thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations from other members of this board.

Actually, Yes.  Give me a call at 603-477-2080 or Bruce at 302-542-4464.  The shop is in Harbeson, DE.  Installing a hitch on an MC-9 is not a problem.

Ross 
gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:27:28 PM »

Thanks Ross. I'll give you a ring tomorrow.  Smiley

gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »

Actually, Yes.  Give me a call at 603-477-2080 or Bruce at 302-542-4464.  The shop is in Harbeson, DE.  Installing a hitch on an MC-9 is not a problem. Ross 
Bumping this post for Ross. I spoke with Bruce more than a week ago and we have a definite date for the hitch install on Nov 18. Bruce gave me the directions and just waiting for that weekend.

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

Looking through Ebay a few minutes ago (bought a bus book...Larry Planchko (sp?)),

Did you just pick up a copy of "Modern Intercity Coaches", or Larry's "Beginner's Guide to Converted Coaches"?

Plachno is the correct spelling, btw.  Publishes National Bus Trader and Bus Tours, both industry trade mags.  www.busmag.com

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 07:47:47 AM »

Looking through Ebay a few minutes ago (bought a bus book...Larry Planchko (sp?)),
Did you just pick up a copy of "Modern Intercity Coaches", or Larry's "Beginner's Guide to Converted Coaches"?
Plachno is the correct spelling, btw. Publishes National Bus Trader and Bus Tours, both industry trade mags. www.busmag.com
Wink

Bought "Modern Intercity Coach"....and another book regarding the history of American Buses. 
Haven't had time to get any major reading done yet....get to them soon!
Bought Dave Galey's and George Myers bus conversion books some time ago...actually, did that before I started converting.  Still managed to miss a lot of things, as in "screwed up with poor outcome,"  that a few months of internet bus conversion sites (or completely reading the books!) would have helped avoid.   Oh well....this is "practice bus"...102D3 is next! Wink
I believe used coaches are going to get less expensive....general downward trend for bus travel.   Fuel pricing and insurance is going to hasten this trend....so we shall see anyway. 
Well, let's go down to the barn and correct one of those goofs.  Left an air duct loose that was going to go into the water tank bay, but sorta forgot to finish it.  Going to duct it into the bath area instead.  Never planne to use the bus in cold weather...may now.  This is requiring modifications to a couple items.   Used the bus for three years and never had the LP heater on.  Never lit it untill the other day...and noticed one of the four outlets seemed non-existant...but the area beneath the bath cabs was getting warm??  Duh.

JR  Cool

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
gr8njt

MCI-9 Crusader II

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 07:13:55 AM »

I drove down to Delaware this Saturday and had a custom hitch installed in my MCI-9.
I am more than satisfied with the workmanship of the hitch production and friendliness of the whole group present.
Apparently, there's a mini Bus-Rally at Bruce's place every weekend. Thanks to Ross for steering me to their direction and We (My Brother and I) met Walt, Ed, Harold and others and learned a ton of "bus things" from this nice bunch of people in a short period of time.
I already have plans of going back and have some work done to the exterior of my bus.
Bruce and Ross, You can make this post a reference for anyone wishing to know about your services and products when you have your business plans in full swing!!.

ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »

I am more than satisfied with the workmanship of the hitch production

Post some photos on your site and let us know when done!
I'm collecting some examples so I'll have a clearer what needs to be done when the time comes.

Compliments on your conversion, BTW!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: