Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:43:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: turbo  (Read 2262 times)
OLD -ED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

I bought a inline 671TA with very few miles on it to install in my 4104 but it is right hand and trying to fiend a mechanic to help convert to a left hand rotation is like beating you head on the wall so I am giving up and putting it up for sale. The turbo would be nice to have in the mountains . 
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »

I can do it if you are willing to back up the cost.  BTW, there are a few rare LH 671TA's out of transits but good luck finding one after 10-15 years since they were retired.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »

Ed, this is not hard to do but you will need some parts like a left hand camshaft and a left hand oil pump. There are st least four(4) diffrent oil pump and camshaft part numbers. You then need to know configuration you are going from and to. Easy to do just takes time and thought.you most likely bought a RD engine and you will need to make it an LA. You also need to change the air filter assembly, the piping and the exhaust system these 6-71TA engines move a lot of air in and out of them. Depending on the Hp you set up it will flow some where around 1100 cfm intake and 2500 cfm exhaust. you also want to go with a bigger radiator, and may be change the fan.

what part of the country are you in. I may be able to help you with a few parts.

Hope this helps

Don
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »

Don't know where you are located but Gene Russell at Russell Diesel in Mill Spring, NC can modify your engine in a heartbeat.  He just completed building up my 6L71TA 330hp that is going in my Silverside. He also did this conversion in his own Silverside; he knows all the ins and outs.  We are using a modified 6V92 ECM.  I bought the complete power pack (with a VR731) used, it came from a '90 Flxible transit.  There were still two or three of those left last I checked.  As Don says, you would have to reconfigure the RH engine, basically front and rear down to the block and change the exhaust over to the blower side unless there is more room in a 4104 than the Silverside.  Mostly labor, not many parts.  Sure makes a sweet set up.  If you would like a picture of the completed engine let me know, I will email it.  Fuel milage will go up to 10-12 mpg also.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »

Pardon me for a moment. I read in one of the posts that someone needed to change their muffler to a "turbo" muffler. I know very little about exactly how a turbo uses exhaust pressure. If I am running a straight pipe exhaust without a muffler on a 6V92 Turbo will it increase or decrease my performance? In other words does it need exhaust back pressure or is my straight pipe ok? Thanks for letting me squeak in my slightly relevant question.  Embarrassed

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »

A diesel likes as free an exhaust flow as possible. The less back pressure, the better. When I turboed my 4-71, I installed a free flowing muffler. When held up to the eye, I could see right through it. I still wanted a muffler to keep the noise down. So a straight pipe, so long as it is big enough, won't slow down your diesel.

You also need lots of intake air. Make sure you get a filter that will flow enough to meet your engine requirements.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
OLD -ED

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

Thanks guys, I am a hundred miles east of Portland Oregon. I don't know if the left hand parts from the old 1957 4104 will work on the 1985 671TA it has a low profile turbo about as high as the valve cover, We fired up the TA engine yesterday and it sure runs sweet with out a shot of starting fluid and no white or blue smoke. It sounds powerful when compared to the old 4104.
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »

yes the parts from your 4104 left hand rotation engine should work.  Grin

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: