Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 08:40:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washer/Dryer All In One  (Read 1173 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »

Wifey is asking for one of these du-hickeys that double as both a washer and a dryer in a single unit.

Anyone own one of these?  Any luck?

Likes/Dislikes?

Keep in mind we have 4 kids and 3 of them girls so laundry is our life.

Thanks.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

Didn't someone say the drying time in these is slow?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

I've got a brand new never used never installed one for sale.

R U still in Fl or anywhere close?

Send me a message if your interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »

I have one made by Splendide.  It is the non vented type that uses cold water on the hot drum to condense the water down the drain.  It takes an extra 2-3 gallons of water to dry.  Even with the dryer running for 90 minutes, the clothes don't really dry all the way.  We just simply take the clothes out and hang them up around the bus for about an hour, then they're dry.  It does a good job of washing and it is nice to have your own washer/dryer on board rather then sharing someone elses filth the had previously used the laundromat washers/dryers.
Splendide also makes a vented version that I will use in my truck.  I've heard they do a much better job of drying.  Once you have one, you won't go back to using laundromats.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »

Splendide now makes one with a electric drying element it even has temperature setting I never cared for the 2000 Splendide but the wife loved it and like like Tom she hung the clothes out to dry.

I have one of the newer Splendide with the drying element that is going into her Safri 

I would not have one of the older 2000 even vented they were slow she used it not me and she will not use a laundromat so for clean clothes you need to roll with flow Sean like I did  lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:45 AM »

We had an older one that I took out to gain more closet space. My issue was the 12 Gallons of water it used per load. A couple of showers and a couple of loads of laundry and the fresh was gone and the grey full, and as others have said looong dry times. The washer is small so we felt it easier to stop at the laundramat and with 2 machines it was done fast and easy.
It seems like the capacities are like 3 or 4 to one difference. 2 hours at the laundramat or 6 hours in bus. We can go 2 weeks if careful between laundry days. Kids Huh My vote would be an apt stacked unit. In any event a vented unit is the wiser choice.

Don & Sheila
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:31:15 AM »

We have one works great but would not keep up a family of four or 5,      tony
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:43 AM »

Sean, we have a splendide combo.  Fran is doing laundry now.  it does take forever to dry, it seems.  remember, its only 120v.  Very sensitive to having the vent cleaned out often, and not much air push.  Fran ends up hanging things out to finish.  that said, she prefers the unit because she's able to sit outside, or do other things instead of sitting at the laundromat.

With the number of kids you have, plan on that splendide running constantly.  girls just can't seem to wear anything with a smudge on it, even a little dirt or slight sweat means you gotta completely wash it lol.  i've been known to wear the same jeans all week to save laundry time.

if you boondock, i think it will get swamped unless you run the genset, and you'll need to hit the laundromat to catch up. 

i like the laundromat because you hog 4 washers, then all the dryers you need and you're done in an hour.  But i only help with laundry by driving her there, so we do what Fran wants.  and she likes the splendide.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »

Sean,

If your going to have one, get an apartment size two piece stacker.

I promise you will never stop thanking me over the one piece, do it all models.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »

We used an all-in-one Equator unit for several years.  This was a condenser model, which I would only get again if venting were impossible.  Aside from that, it worked fine for the two of us.  I even think that there was less color fading than in the standard units.  We do not feel we need one in the bus, but would certainly consider getting one with a dryer vent if we changed our minds.  A stacking set is also an option if you have the space.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

I bought a Sears 240v stacked washer dryer and never installed it in my bus because of room.  However, I can tell you it works excellent since we have been using it in our house for 7 years.  I would think you would need to be camped with full hookups to use it, in which case there is probably a laundromat anyway.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
crown

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »

anyone have a timer or a whole contal panal for the vented model splendide thanks john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »

My bus came with an apartment model.  We decided to take it out and put in a small chest freezer with a cabinet (pantry) above.  Our reasoning:  1)  I have no bays, so I'm fighting the storage fight.  2) The dryer is 240 volt.  A propane unit would mitigate this, but mine was electric, which means you have to be hooked up to 50 amp service, or run the generator which must be wired 240v, which is another whole discussion.  3) 24.4 gallons/load.  Even with the 150 gal grey tank I'm installing, that's 5-6 loads and you're dumping.  4)  Not appreciably larger than the splendide, so that is a lot of loads.  So you're dumping and washing and filling all the time, rather than nature hiking or playing the guitar around the campfire or going to the water park. 
However, a wife's concerns about washer cleanliness destroy all other arguments.  I am a veteran washer tub cleaner outer now (You've got to get the other side too) - for some reason the wife frowns when I wash the shop rags in the house - so the laundrymat one would probably be cleaner than ours would.  Smiley

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: