Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:49:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on a Cummins M11  (Read 2896 times)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Hello: The 94 is probably a computer engine. You can have a Cummins man check the engine with a pro link and find out how many miles are on the engine. Same with the transmission. What kind of mileage who knows unless it was in revenue service then maintenance records should be available..
     I think you should figure out what the church requires . How many miles each week or month. How will the bus be serviced and driven? How will it be stored and   where?  Will a maintenance schedule be followed especially if the bus is  not used very often?.
        As far as the M11 that is a very robust plant and efficient.  I believe it will work for your needs as long as the bus is properly taken care of.  Another consideration is the air conditioning system.  That system does impact the comfort of the passengers.
    Regards and happy bussing   mike 

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »

Yes you can get a million miles out of a M11/ISM, but in a truck.  In a bus, that is usually lacking in maintenance because of the position of the engine, 300,000 miles on an overhaul doesn't surprise me.  Course a busnut would probably be more careful about maintenance then a bus company.  In my opinion, because of the size of the engine, the Cummins M11/ISM is the perfect sized motorhome engine.  The Caterpillar C12 is also in this league.  Keep on top of maintenance, especially replacing bearings if a slight oil pressure drop is detected, and you'll be happy with most any engine.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »

If a bus company invests $500,000+ into a new bus wouldn't they be inclined to maintain the bus including engine properly?  Now, as a bus ages and it gets passed onto new owners it may not get maintained as well.

My bus was horribly maintained by the last charter operator that owned it, but it also appears likely the bus was repossessed so the operator probably had no money.  The bus would have been taken out of service had it ever been inspected by a commercial inspector.  The bus garage that checked out the bus when I got it home said the brakes alone were worn beyond DOT standards.  Between myself and the local bus garage I have spent around $15,000 on bringing everything up to par on my bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

We work both on trucks and buses (and RV's) in our shop.  I've seen far more "lack of maintenance" issues with buses then with trucks.  The rear engine is just not conducive to the regular maintenance as it is on a flip up hood truck.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: