Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now I've done it...  (Read 1451 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

So,

I was having a corrosion problem with my start batteries and I unhooked everything, cleaned it all up shiny and new and forgot which lead from the + side of the batteries goes to which lug on the main switch. Wiring was my weak suit before this post but memory was running a close second combine the two and you've got a big problem.

Anyone happen to have a picture or two of their battery compartment  could use for reference?

Gumpy is chuckling so loud I can hear him from 75 miles away!

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

Every busnut,

go now,

drop everything,

and permanently:

LABEL your CABLES.

How many wires have you got loose Rick?

the biggest ones are easy, the one attached to the wall on that stud is the negative, the matching whopper cable coming out of a hole in the wall will be a positive.

Did you have any wired into the centre between the two batteries?

oh dear, don't experiment or the smoke will be let out of something fer shure!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »

Not sure what yours looks like but here what mine looks like LOL.

Quit Laughing Gumpy

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »

Okay here's the scoop. I have a vanner equalizer and that is making it a bit more complicated. So the black out of the Vanner crosses throughout the compartment and hooks with the big - into the grounding post.

I have two big wires coming from the back wall of the compartment that according to Jriddles picture I join together on the bottom lug of the master on/off then the + of the front battery goes to the top lug on the master on off switch.

Here's my problem. I still have two +'s or red wires coming out of my vanner. I know that one of them goes to one of the lugs on the master switch and the other two join together on the adjustment bolt on one of the battery post leads.  Anyone make a guess as to which battery post it attaches to?  In Jriddles post it's going to the negative of the from battery I believe.

Have I said lately that sometimes I do goofy stuff? Pretty disappointed in my lack of forethought.

RB

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »

Not sure about your set up. But everything hooked to the battery switch should all be Positive and all grounds should hook to battery or the chassis. You may have to label an unhook from vanner and run a extra wire and and use your meter to do a continuity check in order to identify which wire is which going through the bulkhead.

John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »

So here's two twists... Jriddles post has a wiring diagram for the batteries to the switch but it appears from the pictures it looks as though the two main big feeds to the rear of the bus in the picture are supposed to be on the top lug not the bottom as Jriddle's is setup. So, does the positive of the battery cable that attaches to the master switch connect to the topmost lug or the bottom one? Second question I have two red leads coming from my banner One goes to a big lug on the master switch and the other goes to the battery post connector on a battery. Which lug and which post on the battery does it go to.

I was at least bright enough to remember where the black lead out of the banner went to.... the main ground lug.

I'm goon be spending some time with my manuals I'm sure.

Rick

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Remember with the Vanner that the ground should be hooked up last.  You can let the smoke out of some models if you don't hook up the ground last.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »

Another pic

John
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:32:54 PM by Jriddle » Logged

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »

I don't know how to post photos here.

I also have a Vanner. You can go to photobucket and look at akroyaleagle to see how mine is wired.

I suspect you need some wires to your charger(s).

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »

Okay, Now I'm really confused... Brian, the instructions for my banner say remove ground first and replace ground first.

Second, I'm looking at my manual and it has the ground of the Vanner going to the big ground lug.

One of the remaining two leads going to 24 volts which I'm taking to mean either one of the lugs of the master switch.

then the third lead to the positive post on rear battery.

If that;s true then Jriddle's is hooked up incorrectly or I have a different model coach.

Oh just shoot me now...

RB Angry

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »

You may be right Rick the ground wire Hooked to the battery may be for my 12V on the coach I changed picture again sorry if I added confusion.

John
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:47:45 PM by Jriddle » Logged

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »

My manual suggests that you're lead should be coming from the + on the other battery rather than the -  on the battery where it is.. I can't get the page small enough to attach it

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

John, look at page 7-25 of your manual. I can't read a schematic to save my life.

Let me know what yours says

thanks for your help by the way.

RB

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »

Rick not sure about your manual but 7-25 in my two books does not have any schematic on them. Everything on my coach seems to work fine.

John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »

Hi Rick,

It doesn't matter which end of the jumper wire between the two batteries you hook your 12 volt wire from your Vanner to. Both ends of that jumper are at 12 volts. Test them with your volt meter to verify that. There are three wires from the Vanner to the batteries, one is ground, another is 24 volts +, the other is 12 volts +. Please mark your wires permanently NOW, As buswarrior suggested so in the future you won't have this problem.

Good luck, Sam MC 8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: