Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 17, 2014, 01:29:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gray water Toilet flush  (Read 1486 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »

We are dry camping at Phoenix International Raceway (along with about 3800 other RV's) at "The Rally" by Good Sam and Camping World. We've been here since Wed.  And although we've used about half our water (130gal) I was wondering if anyone has setup the toilet to flush with gray water? 

My idea is a simple one.  Just put a valve at the toilet (I have a ball valve to shut each plumbing fixture off, but it is under the bed and is a pain to get to) which would be easy.  Then install another water pump just for the gray water-like a bilge pump-and have a gray hose next to the toilet with a push button to operate the gray water pump for pre filling and flushing while dry camping.

Has anyone done this and how does it work?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »

I would think that would probably work fine it it you had one of those 1/2 inch water line screens (found internally  in fresh water tanks on some s/s)  about 2 inches long in the line before the pump. I would also think it might smell some, as well as might accidently plug up in the toilet, but am not sure...
Someone should try it... if it works fine for about a year.... Smiley

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »

I don't want to plumb it through the water system of the toilet-just have a hose to hand fill and flush with mounted next to the toilet.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »

Is your toilet a flush toilet like in the house where water sits in the bowl? If so, it might be smelly. You know how grey water gets fairly ripe sitting in the tank for a few days. Otherwise, it is a good idea.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »

The Ultra van RV used the grey water for toilet flushing in order to save weight.
So they could carry less fresh water.

Have fun!

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »

What a great idea.  We have a huge black tank.  We always fill the grey long before the black tank. We had thought of using the grey for flush,  but didn't want to run it through the toilet valves.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GM 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »

Years past someone reported that they tried to use the grey water for the RV toilet flush and the toilet seals did not like the soapy, slimey grey water and would fail.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:10 AM »

I vaguely recollect some discussion about this on Skoolie a year or so ago, and the general concensus of opinion was that it wasn't worth doing:   some folk apparently had tried it, with less than stellar results.   Mind you, exactly how had they done it?   Did they pre-filter the gray water, or was it straight from the tank complete with chunks?   Did they run it through the toilet's flush valve, or separately as Tom was thinking?   I can imagine the toilet would need much more frequent cleaning, and it may smell more.

John   

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
mikelcan

Considering a conversion

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »

If the main issue is filling the grey tank before the black tank and wanting to buy time before dumping why not install a pump and line between the two tanks.  Drop the intake line about half way in the grey tank with a screen on the line that way you are not pulling in the lighter grease, soap, etc that floats on top of the water.  Then pump directly to the top of the black tank.  Monitor your gauges and when you transferred your desired amount (for instance a quarter of tank) turn off the pump.  It would eliminate any issues with the grey water harming the seals on the toilet but still accomplish the goal of balancing the tanks.

Mike 
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

Mike,
I think he is trying to conserve his fresh water! Grin

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 05:10:16 AM »

DON'T DO IT. I tried this on our boat about 8 years ago and what a mess. I diverted shower water into a separate tank (galley sink water went overboard) and used a dedicated stainless steel mesh filter and pump.

The smell was awful and the oils from the soaps and shampoo clogged the filter screen in a very short time. It looked nasty as well. I failed to realize the high percentage of soaps to water in a boat/coach when we take navy showers.

As an aside, I used the grey water for 6 months while we cruised the Bahamas. As soon as we got back, I restored the fresh water feed to the heads and it took several weeks thereafter to completely clear the smell from the water lines.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

I hope TomC does this, and posts his results. My experience with using grey water as flush water in a sticks&bricks was: it smells, needs to be strained,  disinfected, and, like Paul, I went back to fresh water flush. The ladies tend to have the most "issues" with grey water flush.

As we all know, a typical RV toilet uses very little water, but the rewards, because of tankage issues, might make it worth the effort.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »

What's a "Navy shower"?... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »

Get wet, turn off the water, soap and scrub, water back on to rinse off.  Low impact on the water use (no, it's not what you were thinkin').
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:44:05 PM by Oonrahnjay » Logged

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

Get wet, turn off the water, soap and scrub, water back on to rinse off.  Low impact on the water use (no, it's not what you were thinkin').

Thankfully it has nothing to do with the Village People...

Cheers, John
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: