Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:52:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: How often should a DD 6V92T be excercised to keep it healthy and what if you can't take it out for a drive?
Start & drive once per week
Start & drive once every 2 weeks
Start & drive once per month
At least start once per week (high idle up to operating temp)
At least start once every 2 weeks (high idle up to operating temp)
At least start once per month (high idle up to operating temp)
If you can't take it out for a drive, don't start it up. Running at idle is worse than nothing.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often should a DD 6V92T be excercised to keep it healthy?  (Read 1363 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: October 29, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »

I have seen many different practices mentioned in the forums so I thought it would be good to get a consensus on what is the best excercise routine to keep the engine healthy.

Regarding just starting the engine and warming it up to operating temp vs. actually driving it (say 15-20 miles). I understand that DD two strokes shouldn't be idled for extended time periods. But the manual indicates that if it must be idled for long, then it should be at high idle.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 11:10:40 AM »

Twice a day for 3 hours, every day  Grin  Grin  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »

Kyle,

He's talking about his bus, not his wife.......

Hee Hee

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:19:29 PM »

Kyle,

He's talking about his bus, not his wife.......

Hee Hee

Ed

Well, at least the bus is easy to get started, doesn't smoke and doesn't feel the need to crank a lot! Shocked Grin
Ace

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »

5 people so far have voted to take it out and drive it at least once a month BUT the question stated "what if you can't drive it"?

IMHO the first 3 choices shouldn't be included since they say "drive it" in the selection.

Ace
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »

5 people so far have voted to take it out and drive it at least once a month BUT the question stated "what if you can't drive it"?

IMHO the first 3 choices shouldn't be included since they say "drive it" in the selection.

Ace

Thanks for the point. Actually, the bus is fully road worthy, but sometimes it's a matter of having it on blocks, dash opened up, no time, etc.  Also I wanted to get the widest range of input for people in various situations.

After posting the poll, I did realize that there is a flaw in it.  I should have set it to allow more than one selection since a person could agree with any of the first three selections and also agree with the last one.  But there isn't any way to change that now.
Dallas

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 05:26:49 PM »

I edited the poll for you.

If you have a series 92 service manual, it gives instructions in section 15.3 for short term and long term storage.

Dallas
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 06:55:12 AM »

Don't forget, there's other systems on the bus that benefit from regular use besides the DD: air system, brakes, tires, tranny, electrical, etc. And dare I say, the driver of the bus could benefit from some regular practice in these 35-40 foot, dozen + ton vehicles we like to tinker and toy with.  Wink

Busses: use 'em, drive 'em, love 'em.

Brian B.
presently 800 miles from home in the SpaceShip...

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »

The local climate has the biggest effect on a parked vehicle. You can't compare warm humid days with cool nights to dry hot days and nights. The same holds true for winter weather where it stays dry and cold all winter or where the humidity and temperature goes up and down around the freezing point.

If people respond to your poll with their local knowledge, you will have a hundred different answers, possibbly all correct.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »

A DD 2 stroke with a complete exhaust and intake system is the least of your worries in a stored coach that isn't driveable. Water in the fuel, remedied by keeping the fuel tank full, and the air system will be your more likely source of problems.
If the coach is stored indoors, it could sit for years and start right up...even with 2 year old fuel.
As Dallas stated, there are ways to "store" the engine.
If your fuel tank is full of crud, it'll be more full when you start it....if it sits for years. Tanks could be cleaned...and fuel filters will have to be changed a little more frequently.
Brakes locking up, air system valves, wheel seals on oil hubs, automatic transmissions, clutches, and coolant leaks may also cause problems. And, if rainwater settles on the engine, you very likely will have water in the oil....eventually.
If the engine is pretty worn, you may wish to pull the oil pan drain plug if it sits for a long time and verify that no water is in the pan. It'll settle out on the bottom of the oil pan.
A worn 2 stroke may seep a little antifreeze into the engine. This could be considered a dying engine.
Now lets get that sucker driveable...! How long can it take? Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: