Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:34:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from manual to automatic?  (Read 658 times)
LowTide

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

I know there have been a few topics about this, but I can't seem to find any that answers my question.

If we wanted to change out our manual transmission to an automatic, what are we looking at for costs.....roughly Smiley

Thanks for any input!
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »

Depends on who your friends are MiKe Grin tell Lori hi for us we were down 2 weeks ago for the dentist but didn't have time to do anything and had to hurry back home 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »

For a 740 figure on at least 10 grand.  If you do all the work yourself you can save about 3-5 days labor cost.
Trans, flywheel, flexplate, hub, oil cooler, hoses/filter, modulator, shifter, cable (or Stone Bennett), drive shaft, possible valve body adjustment, etc. etc.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »

When I had my 13spd Roadranger removed and the Allison HT740 installed, it was close to $15,000 total. I had Pedco, now Ironman, do the work. They installed a large air to oil cooler in front of the radiator and a remote filter. With my 3.55 gears, 11R-24.5 (476rpm), I can fast cruise at 65mph all day at 1830rpm. If I want to get great fuel mileage, I can slow to 57 at 1600rpm. I just wish my truck had had the Allison transmission when I was commercially driving truck. Once you have the automatic, you'll never go back to a manual. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »

Hi;
     Another way to get an idea of cost, is call Global Industrial Automatics.
     They are an advertiser in BCM.  Their ad says they do conversions from
     manual to automatic. I am sure they will be glad to talk with you and
     give you an accurate idea of today's costs.
                                       Merle.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »

Timkar knows where the buy is 1000  bucks for a 740 with the Stone /Bennett ,then Jason has a 740 with the flex plate,shifter and hub for 900 bucks buy one of those then come down and get your hands dirty I have the double cooler and hoses   

Life is short drink the good wine first
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »

I swapped out my 4speed for an MT654 auto 2 years ago on my MC7 w/8V71. Best thing I have done for the coach.
I think the extra parts and some custom machine work ( including the driveshaft shortening ) was about $2K extra.
I replaced my engine doors with one large mesh door that has a Hayden cooler mounted on it to cool the auto.
Works very well. Also installed a pair of 15" electric engine fans on the cooler (just in case) and that was a waste of $$. Never used them.
I replaced all hoses, replaced starter and alternator at same time. Steam cleaner spent half a day cleaning the engine/trans and engine compartment (well worth the $$). Also spent a few hours welding and reinforcing cracks in the steel framework in the engine compartment.
I think in all spent about $6K.
2 return trips from Canada to Yuma, AZ towing a 4600lb toad, including over the mountains in Wyoming, and never saw transmission temps about 220.
I would do it again definitely.....or I would buy an automatic coach to begin with.
Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »

I swapped out my 4speed for an MT654 auto 2 years ago on my MC7 w/8V71. Best thing I have done for the coach.
I think the extra parts and some custom machine work ( including the driveshaft shortening ) was about $2K extra.
I replaced my engine doors with one large mesh door that has a Hayden cooler mounted on it to cool the auto.
Works very well. Also installed a pair of 15" electric engine fans on the cooler (just in case) and that was a waste of $$. Never used them.
I replaced all hoses, replaced starter and alternator at same time. Steam cleaner spent half a day cleaning the engine/trans and engine compartment (well worth the $$). Also spent a few hours welding and reinforcing cracks in the steel framework in the engine compartment.
I think in all spent about $6K.
2 return trips from Canada to Yuma, AZ towing a 4600lb toad, including over the mountains in Wyoming, and never saw transmission temps about 220.
I would do it again definitely.....or I would buy an automatic coach to begin with.
Mark

Mark - Do you have pics of your engine bay door?  I am totally thinking about replacing my engine door and building a fan into it but not sure how it would look  (Sorry but the thread drift)

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »

Depends on who your friends are MiKe Grin tell Lori hi for us we were down 2 weeks ago for the dentist but didn't have time to do anything and had to hurry back home 

Well, I only know a couple of people that are bus nuts, you being one of them and Tom (Oldmansax) being another......LOL

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

Hi;
     Another way to get an idea of cost, is call Global Industrial Automatics.
     They are an advertiser in BCM.  Their ad says they do conversions from
     manual to automatic. I am sure they will be glad to talk with you and
     give you an accurate idea of today's costs.
                                       Merle.

Thanks, Merle...appreciate the company info.

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »

Timkar knows where the buy is 1000  bucks for a 740 with the Stone /Bennett ,then Jason has a 740 with the flex plate,shifter and hub for 900 bucks buy one of those then come down and get your hands dirty I have the double cooler and hoses   

This sounds like a offer I can't refuse, thanks so much for the offer. I am sure Lori will love to hear this, she is the reason for the change out as she would like to drive and if I get hurt or decide to take a dirt nap she will be able to carry on with the coach.

I will try to contact you to discuss this change out.

Guess we will have to hit the black bear dinner while we are there Smiley

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »

I almost forgot, thanks everyone for your responses....greatly appreciated!!!

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:50:25 AM »

We recently completed the spicer to MT647 changeover in our MC5. We have about 2,000 miles on since the change and it is the best thing I've done for the coach. The biggest challenges are getting the adaption pieces. Sounds like Clifford has a line on the pieces you need. In my case the bell housing adapter and flexplate were the tricky ones.

I had to have Clifford talk me down off the mountain a couple times. But it is worth every hour and dollar I spent. My wife has logged nearly 700 of those miles by the way.

Fred

Fred Thomson
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:07:37 AM »

I made the swap a couple of years ago and would do it all over again. Got my 740 from a fellow busnut, had it tested, got a double cooler from Sonnie, had a new driveline built as the old one was shot. Installed an air throttle and the list goes on............ Wink

It's now a pleasure to drive and Becky doesn't have to put with up with my temper when shifting the old crash box.

Take Clifford up on his offer and you won't be disappointed!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: