Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
January 28, 2015, 01:05:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12vdc Electric Diverter Valve  (Read 483 times)
RJ
Owner of Aesop's Tortoise

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

Aesop's Tortoise has an 11-gallon marine Seaward hot water heater that runs both off electric plus a heat exchanger loop tied into the main engine's cooling system.  Works really well - get to the end of the run for the day and you've got nice, hot water w/o having to wait for it to heat.

So I got to thinking (dangerous!!) - my genset's in the same bay as the Seaward.  Maybe, with the use of some 12vdc electric diverter valves, I could tie in the genset's cooling system to the Seaward to use that normally wasted heat while parked.

Thus my question:  Anybody have an idea of a source for 1" three-way electric diverter valves?

TIA,

RJ

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 MC-5C
Fresno CA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »

...  Thus my question:  Anybody have an idea of a source for 1" three-way electric diverter valves?

TIA,  RJ

If you do, please post it here cause I wanna know too!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »

I suspect with a bit of thought it'd be fairly straightforward to wire a single 3-position switch to control two two-value valves to give the same function as a 3-way valve

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »

RJ, ours is setup the same as you with one difference, our generator cooling system is tied in with the bus motor cooling system.  I know there are pros and cons to this but one nice thing is that the generator heats the hot water.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Alan N

1975 Gillig 636

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »

In some ag applications (sprayers) three way valves are used. They would either be plastic (can it take the heat?) or stainless ($$$$).

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

I'm with Jeremy and agree it might be easier to use two 2-way valves than to locate and set up one 3-way valve.
Grin  BK  Grin
joel_newton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »

Thermotion might have a valve(s) that would work.  Limitation of 3/4". 

http://www.thermotion.com/category/54-heater-control-valves.aspx

Select "Download Heater Control Valve Catalog" (pdf)  gives you all the specs.

I ordered a two port 3/4" valve for my old conversion.  Never used it.  However, it will work nicely in my new bus. 

I have no interest in this company.  They were a little slow in manufacturing the valve.

Hope this helps.  There are apparently several of us with similar ideas.

Near Santa Rosa, California
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »

Couple on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-2-3-4-1-Brass-3-Way-T-Port-Motorized-Ball-Valve-Electrical-Ball-Valve/151232274945?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27673%26meid%3Ddfbef42fbfe647f5b008a1f61397627b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D151210665245&rt=nc

Stainless if you want to get fancy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-2-To-1-Electrical-Valve-3-Way-L-Port-Stainless-304-Motorized-Ball-Valve-/151210665245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2334dba51d

- Steve
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:45:46 AM »

Those Ebay valves only have two outlets, which makes them a 2-way valve in my terminology. 3-way valves have three outlets.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:39:32 AM »

Those Ebay valves only have two outlets, which makes them a 2-way valve in my terminology. 3-way valves have three outlets.

Jeremy

I guess what I'm looking for is one two-inlet valve (one from radiator coolant and one from gennie coolant) with one outlet (to water heater loop) and one one-inlet valve (from water heater loop) with two outlets. 

Does it really matter?   If you have a common "Port A" and the valve switches between open from "Port A" to "Port 1" to open from "Port A" to "Port 2", does it matter which is inlet and outlet?  This kind of valve should shift two ways and do what I want to do, right?

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »

No I don't expect it matters which direction the flow goes in - 1 inlet & 2 outlets, or 2 inlets & 1 outlet. But to me those are 2-way valves, and motorised 2-way valves are commonplace. I may be wrong but I think the OP was asking for a motorised version of one of these:

Jeremy

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:29:31 AM »

I guess what I'm looking for is one two-inlet valve (one from radiator coolant and one from gennie coolant) with one outlet (to water heater loop) and one one-inlet valve (from water heater loop) with two outlets. 

Does it really matter?   If you have a common "Port A" and the valve switches between open from "Port A" to "Port 1" to open from "Port A" to "Port 2", does it matter which is inlet and outlet?  This kind of valve should shift two ways and do what I want to do, right?

3-way ball valves are just a ball with a 90 degree elbow in place of a straight through port in the ball.  They are commonly used in ag sprayer applications.  I can see no reason why flow direction would matter.  There used to be 2 different control head circuits.  Externally the heads looked identical but internally they were different.  One of them required a constant supply voltage and used a pilot signal to determine which direction it was oriented.  The other required the switch to reverse the voltage to the control head. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
RJ
Owner of Aesop's Tortoise

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »

Well now, living in a huge agricultural town (Fresno County is the USA's largest producer) provides one with all kinds of possibilities.

Was talking yesterday with one of my customers - who happens to own the largest John Deer dealership in the area - about my idea of using the genset's coolant to help heat the domestic hot water when parked.  He immediately said that electric valves are common on some ag equipment, and suggested I visit one of the major hydraulic supply houses located near his business.  Even gave me the name of a parts guy to talk to!

So, since it's raining here in Fresburg today - which means I won't be out servicing pools - I'm off to have a chat w/ this chap to see what we can come up with.

Stay tuned. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 MC-5C
Fresno CA
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

------------------

------------------

3-way ball valves are just a ball with a 90 degree elbow in place of a straight through port in the ball.  They are commonly used in ag sprayer applications.  I can see no reason why flow direction would matter.  There used to be 2 different control head circuits.  Externally the heads looked identical but internally they were different.  One of them required a constant supply voltage and used a pilot signal to determine which direction it was oriented.  The other required the switch to reverse the voltage to the control head. 

Thanks, Bob.  That was what I was thinking. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: