Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 29, 2017, 04:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seatbelts?  (Read 394 times)
Billysurf

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:42:15 AM »

Looking for seatbelt ideas.  There are six of us. Our bus has typical household furniture.  We hit the road in June,  and the only seatbelt on the bus is in the driver seat. 

1988 MCI 102A2 Richmond,VA
Astro

Astroworld Hotel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »

Buy and bolt in three sets of bus seats with seatbelts. They are often cheap and available on CL.  Either that or put people at some elevated level of risk. A seatbelt wrapped over a wooden kitchen chair will be insufficient if called to duty. IMO

Ken
Arlington, WA
1971 MC-5B, U7017, S9226 (On the road)
1945 Flxible Clipper (Stripped and in the shop for conversion)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »

Buy and bolt in three sets of bus seats with seatbelts. They are often cheap and available on CL.  Either that or put people at some elevated level of risk. A seatbelt wrapped over a wooden kitchen chair will be insufficient if called to duty. IMO 

A lot of it is down to the anchorage.  You can have an ordinary sofa (so long as the sofa is firmly fixed to the floor to carry its own weight) and -- if the anchorages are solid -- the seat belts will work fine.  IMO - if it's a situation that puts you in a position that your passengers in a bus* need shoulder straps, it doesn't matter; you're all already going to be dead.  Especially, if a passenger's seat if not near the windshield, instrument panel, etc., lap belts -- worn correctly -- are good enough. 

(* A bus has significantly different characteristics to a smaller vehicle.  Generally, if you hit something hard going very fast, that "something" is usually a car or small truck and the greater mass of the bus will give you a lot of protection.  If you hit something hard when you're going fast and what you hit is BIG and HARD, nothing in the front 4-6 feet of the bus will survive.  But belts are great to provide quite good protections in side-swipes, in-traffic bumps, and slow intersection accidents; plus every driver should be belted to keep the driver in the seat during "difficult conditions" (don't forget, many accidents are multiple, you hit something that deflects you into hitting something else -- if the driver is thrown from the seat by the first hit, from then on, you're all just passengers with no way to influence things.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »

The only seat belts required in an RV/Bus Conversion is the driver and front passenger.  I have a recliner a few feet back and I have a seat belt for it, and I bought three seat belts for the couch, but have never installed them because I need to weld a steel bar behind the couch to attach the belts to.  It's on the list of things to do....

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
sixtyseven

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »

If youíre looking for new, I got mine here     

http://www.andoauto.com/index.htm

Joe 
Oregon
1985  Prevost  8V92TA   HT740
daddysgirl
Third Bus Build...Yes, it takes a nut!

Daddy's Girl II

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »

A lesson I learned through the near death of two family friends...

Make sure the furniture is secured to the frame, and the belts as well. My bus has several locations I'm looking at when I put the interior back together.
If you have not already done so...do NOT remove the stainless panel in the front on the curbside. I know many folks take it out with the seats, but it's there for a reason...it acts as a grab bar entering the bus, but it's also a safety curtain for your co-captain.

And although this goes a bit beyond seatbelts, make sure EVERYTHING inside the bus is secured so that should you need to stop quickly, nothing can become a hazard...flying up to the front at speeds that might surprise you...and hitting anyone in the way.

Andrea   Richmond, VA
1974 MC8 8V71/HT740 new in 2000 and again in 2017-
windtrader

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

Just curious, what percentage of bus conversions even have seatbelts behind the driver/co-pilot seating? For so long even school buses had no passenger seat belts, it sure makes sense but it seems many subject passengers to being flying projectiles in case of hard stop or crash.

Don F
Research done - shopping for already converted 2 stroke
Very excited to acquire a bus and get on the road
Many years cruising in a VW minibus
Shopping list here: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=31602.0
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

Just curious, what percentage of bus conversions even have seatbelts behind the driver/co-pilot seating? For so long even school buses had no passenger seat belts, it sure makes sense but it seems many subject passengers to being flying projectiles in case of hard stop or crash.

Long story but school buses are different.  Other things are going on.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »

Meh. In a crash we all expect to rattle around inside our bus like dried apples in a barrel.

Look both ways when you cross the street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: