Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 28, 2015, 04:49:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing paint from aluminum  (Read 341 times)
pennuja

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »

I have to remove the old paint from the side of my bus, there is a brown and white stripe on the side. I was going to paint over it but it is chipping too badly to easily paint over it.

Can anyone recommend a paint remover that wont harm the aluminum on the bus, leave streaks when rinsing etc?

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »

There is a aircraft stripper called Mar Hyde I have used it on two projects. works extremely well.

On the front of the jug is a lear jet  so it should be good enough for us. Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »

Do you intend to repaint or attempt to polish the surface?? most polishing attempts are not feasible due to finding bondo under the old paint.. Aircraft stripper (a trade name) will do you a good job, but its always a lot of work to prep and repaint, but you are usually left with no choice.. After stripping rinse well and let fully dry, then prime with a self etching primer.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »

Klean-Strip aircraft paint remover is the best a individual can do @ 40 to 50 bucks a gal don't waste your money on the Rust-Oleum aircraft stripper @ 20 bucks a gal cheaper but takes 3 times longer and 3 times as much of the product.The pros are using D-Zolve but they won't sell to the public and besides a 5 gal pail is minimum fwiw any will streak if you don't flush it in a hurry

Life is short drink the good wine first
pennuja

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

Thanks for the help, I am going to repaint the same original red stripe that was covered by brown. I also think I might have to do the roof too, most of that paint is falling off so it might just come off with a stiff bristle brush.

As long as rinsing quick works that is what I am going to do.

Jim Pennucci
Northwestern NJ
1958 GMC PD-4104-3856
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/GAR343-KLEAN-STRIP-Aircraft-Stripper-Gallon/dp/B004Y1KX9E

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »

...  As long as rinsing quick works that is what I am going to do. 

One thing about a powerful stripper is that it is more important to get it off thoroughly!  If there are traces of it left around rivet heads or body seams or similar places, it will bleed out and stop your new paint from sticking (and cause other problems).  Read directions and be careful.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: