Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
July 28, 2016, 01:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More On Brakes  (Read 393 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »

I adjusted my brakes today.  Even the right rear, which as you may know on a 5a, is always likely to get your white gloves dirty. Things look okay and there is lots of pad left.  I noticed though, particularly on the rear, that the gap between the pad and the drum is not even for its entire length. Of course, tightening the slack adjusters and backing off really adjusts the distance based on where the shoe touches first.  My thought was that the shoes do not therefore expand equally but rather the area of the shoe that has the largest gap probably moves a bit more.  Does this make sense?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »

Thats normal,, at the point which the shoes "come together", one end is a pivot and the other end has an "S" cam that seperates the shoes on that end, therefore the uneven wear.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »

Normally when brakes shoes are installed they are usually fitted to the drum to wear evenly now people just slap a set on and you get the uneven wear pattern 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: