Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
April 29, 2016, 10:53:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: low coolant sensor  (Read 350 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:01 PM »

I need a source for my low coolant level sensor that screws into the surge tank on my eagle.  Part number is 05-1096-001.  Google searching sent me here.

https://www.mohawkmfg.com/shop/search?description=&part_number=05-1092-001&component=

Not available.

Any aftermarket units that will screw into my tank at the pipe port?

David
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM
Publisher - BCM
Help Team

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:41:17 PM »

I bought one for my Eagle a couple of months ago from Ferguson Auto in Westminster, CA.  Call them and see if they can get it and ship it to you. 714 893 4529

Good Luck.

1983 MCI-MC9
1967 Eagle with 12" Roof Raise
Gary@BusConversions.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »

The little green people parts stores have those also so should NAPA sand the end it may start working if you remove antifreeze build up .Yours just works on a light with 2 wires or 1 ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

The little green people parts stores have those also so should NAPA sand the end it may start working if you remove antifreeze build up .Yours just works on a light with 2 wires or 1 ?
I have it wired to illuminate when starter engages to check if it works, so I guess two wires.

It lit today when I started the coach and I took it out for a test run with my new shocks.  Driving down the interstate at 75mph I looked in the mirror and saw smoke Shocked.  Quickly pulled over, ran to the back, water everywhere, opened the hatch and killed it from the master.  I had a hose clamp break and water was spewing out.  I got no warning from the dash that I had low water.  Fortunately I was still running 180 degrees when I stopped.

Putting on a new clamp with hot water dribbling out lying under the bus on the shoulder if IH37 was a real challenge Angry  I drove 5 miles back home with low coolant and the temp gauge was swinging between 180 and 195.  The connection was still dripping.  I had to drain the radiator to get the water stopped and clamp re-positioned.  I took a bath in antifreeze trying to put the thing back on.

I'll pull it tomorrow and check.  It shows to be working now, but I can't afford a failure in this device.

David

David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »

I took the sensor out and cleaned it.  Put it back in and tested by filling and draining the tank.  It came on every test.  

I double clamped all my lower hoses.  This is the 3rd time I've had a hose clamp let go.  I won't do the top hoses as I can get to them on the road if needed from over the top.  It is nearly impossible to put a clamp on from the below if water is dribbling out.  It burned my hand yesterday trying to road fix this even though I had on rubber gloves.  Not a pleasant experience.

The sensor is no longer made.  Here is the part number:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281386448486

I wonder if Jefferson has a replacement??

David
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:12:23 PM by David Anderson » Logged
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »

What kind of clamps are you using?

As you are experiencing, proudly spend CA$H for the good clamps.

Worm gear clamps are NOT the good clamps our fathers and grandfathers used, way too many are poorly made now.

The constant tension ones with the big spring are lovely.

double up is an excellent strategy that any busnut can quickly upgrade!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: