Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
July 25, 2016, 07:36:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (657) 221-0432 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working on Stuck Injectors  (Read 1991 times)
NutherNewbie

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:01 AM »

Hi all,

I'm working on an 8V71 that last ran about 10 years ago (ran pretty good according to the PO).

I took one rocker cover off and found a gummy injector that could be pried with a screwdriver and 3 more that were solidly stuck.  Then I took the fuel tubes off and sprayed lotsa Liquid Wrench into the ports.  The gummy injector freed up really well but the others didn't.  This engine does have the spring-loaded rack levers, BTW.

I can't pry hard enough with a screwdriver to move the 3 stuck racks, so I'm wondering about lightly hammering on the followers.  Not clear from the manual if that would damage the injectors, so I thought it best to ask the pros.

Is it okay to rap on the followers?  Is that a step in the right direction?  Steel drift okay or better to use brass or a piece of wood?  Light taps with a light hammer best or would heavier be okay?

Thanks.

PS. Don't want to remove or replace the injectors because I'm not capable of doing all the adjustments that would be needed afterward (and don't have time to learn right now)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »

Hook up an electric fuel pump to circulate injector cleaner through the head fuel lines and return line that goes back to tank. Do it for about an hour or two and then let everything sit overnight to soak and loosen. Check the rack movement in the morning. Unless there is moisture and rust inside the injectors, they should loosen up. Lucas makes an injector cleaner and lubricant that should work. There are many other brands that should work also. Btw, when you get that engine started, don't run the hell out of it; just keep it at idle or a little above for about a half hour.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
c-coop

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »

spray carb cleaner into the fittings let it soak   usually works
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: