Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 05:27:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being threatened by city of Matthews, NC  (Read 5963 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »

Case in point to why I am leaving this lousy town.  A city ordinance enforcer paid me a visit today and took pictures of the Eagle.  He informed me that it was against city ordinance to have a bus on your property.  I informed him that it was titled and insured as an RV.  He didn't seem to agree, so I expect a threatening letter/and/or a citation from the Peoples Republic of Matthews very soon forcing me to move it.  Man I hate this town and can't wait to leave!  

The last time this happened 8 years ago,I owned a standard RV.  The enforcement officer came out and asked if it was registered, which it was.  I asked him if there was a problem with me parking it where it was... He said No.  A week later I got a citation from the city for breaking code.  I have had almost 15 years of needless police pullovers and police harassment when I was younger, being ticketed for trying to sell a car on my Dad's property, not being able to even advertise for a yard sale because it is against city ordinance... and now this!  It will be a very happy day for me when I leave this town in my rear view mirror forever!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:36:25 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »

I would make them show you in writing where it is not allowed to park an RV on your property..

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »

That's not what they are trying to use against me.  They are saying it is a bus, not an RV.  If I'm still here when it hits the fan I will do just that though. 

On a side note, I have a deal worked out with my next door neighbor to mow my grass in exchange for keeping some equipment in my garage.  He has been doing this for over 10 years.  For some reason he didn't mow it this week yet, so the "officer" took pictures of my overgrown lawn too, saying that was also a problem.  They're looking for stuff to make a case against as some kind of a nuisance, I just know it.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Gerry4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »

Get a laywer..even a 1000 bill to stick it up their A&% would be worth every penny...

If your coach is registerd and insure and currently on the road as an RV then they dont have a leg to stand on....if it is in fact legal in your township to kepp an "RV" on your property....a lawer could jam that right down their throats...  YEEE- HAWWWW !

I cant stand code enforcement guys..more than half the time they are wrong....or strech the statute to the outer limits of reality, to make it look like they are trying to do their job...to justify their own paychecks....or reach a quota...

pretty much a total waste of tax money in my opinion...
Gerry4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »

On a further rant..the USA is not supposed to be a Nazi camp....

you own the property and you pay the taxes...

the constant picking and nagging by local government and townships is rediculous!

Rant over     Smiley
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »

At least consult a lawyer.  They might be responsible for his bill also if they are in the wrong.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Gerry4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »

+1
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »

this lousy town.  (snip) 

big headed bastards.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

Call a reporter from the nearest city newspaper.  Tell the reporter your story.  Since the State of North Carolina recognizes it as an RV, does your city have a higher authority.  If you fall into the retired category, they might have more sympathy.  You might mention that you are considering a harrassment lawsuit against the city.

If you were an illegal alien in California you would have the press clamoring to cover your story!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »

Well I went through the "Beautiful town of Matthews'" website, but nowhere did I see any statute stating that I was not allowed to keep an RV on my own property.  So I emailed the code enforcement "officer" (who left me his card) and demanded that he show me exactly where  the statute is located and how it applies to me.  Hopefully they will back off. 

Actually I will consider getting a lawyer if they pursue the matter.  What I told him was that it is an RV, as shown on the title... which is legally registered and insured.

He said he was responding to a complaint, so maybe he just came out on the premise that it was a commercial "bus" and they will just go away.  Angry

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

JSM,

Just get your facts in order and go before the local board.  Better yet, ask the officer for the code he is investigating you under.

It will get dismissed.  Remember that there are overzealous code officers and usually the board will set them straight.

They can write up anything they want, but if your in the right, just prove it and move on.

99% of the code cases I heard were started via complaints, not the code officer looking for something to write up.

I know its a pain!  Believe me...I know...

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »

Ask the officer who filed the complaint. They are required to give you that info. At least in Sc they are.

Sounds like you got a neighbor that ain't an Elvis fan ! Shocked

Ed

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

Dittos to what Ed said. And when they can't produce a complainant's name & address then give him an attorney's name & tell him to direct all further communications thru the attorney. The bug will go away I promise. 

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »

I think you are right Cliff.  As I stated in the last post, I did demand that he show me where I am in violation, so maybe it will end there.  I have not been cited, this is just the initial "investigation".  Just enough to put me in a rotten mood.  Roll Eyes

I have a theory as to what happened...  There are a bunch of young kids to that hang around, some walk, some ride their bikes up and down the road. Well on Sunday I took the bus out for a short run just to keep it exercised... When I got back a bunch of kids were on the street. There was one who was sort of walking his bike very slowly right in the middle of the road in front of me. Obviously I stopped and waited but he wouldn't move. Finally I blew the horn and he still didn't move. After about 15 seconds his friends grabbed him so I could drive past. It turns out the kid was blasting his I-pod so loud in his earphones that he couldn't even hear me. When his friends got his attention and pointed, he looked back and had a frightened look on his face when he saw a bus behind him... Kind of funny actually, but I can only imagine how this episode might have gotten blown out of proportion if he told his parents.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:34:05 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »

Visited a friend in Fl. one time. He lived in a beautiful home on a golf course. Fourth tee was right out his back door!!! I said it must be nice to just walk out your back door and tee off. You can't do that he said, it is against the rules. You must schedule a tee time. Even after hours? Oh, you can't be on the course after hours. Well do you play for free? No, you must be a member. What if you just want to live here and not play? You must still be a member to live here. We go inside to watch TV. I asked what satellite provider he had as I saw the dish by the pool (THEY WERE BIG THEN!!LOL). Oh, I don't have sat. Why do you have a dish? I put it in, and the enforcement officer said it was against the rules. Made me put the screen around it to match the pool. Now it won't pickup anything!! He ask me to pull our car into the garage. Why? It is against the rules to park curbside here. What if my car is to big to go in the garage? They have off site parking available for $ 150.00 per month. What if I have a motorhome? They are not allowed here. It is against the rules. Also pickup trucks are not allowed. Let me guess, against the rules!! YEP. We have the best enforcement officers he explained. The measure everybody's grass to ensure all is within code, and the ticket all who leave their garage doors up during the banned hours. We decided to stay in a hotel to avoid the inevitable citation!!LOL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: